DeVry University Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
DeVry University President Robert Paul
Robert Paul

Cons

1. "It was a fun place to work with great people."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had an opportunity to learn and grow, which was important to me.

Cons

Not enough variety of work.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed working there.

"Good pay, bad corporate leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Professor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Professor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The salaries are on par with the industry average. The local managers are carrying and considerate. The corporate executives are rapacious and out of touch with the education that occurs in the classroom.

Cons

Although the salaries are good, DeVry makes professors work for that money, requiring a teaching load of 45 credit hours per year. Way too much control is exerted on classroom instruction from the center; home office doesn't permit professors to make local and tailored decisions about instructional content.

Advice to Management

DeVry mouths the words that it wants to become the "employer of choice" in the education sector. An institution ought to be honest about its corporate goals. The corporate leadership cares little about its employees or its students. Any potential employee ought to consider it instead the "employer of last resort" instead.

"Student Finance"

Current Employee - Student Finance Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Student Finance Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DeVry University (More than 5 years)

Pros

You have the option of various time schedules, education paid for and benefits.

Cons

Where do I begin, this organization continues to support it self as " Caring for the Students". Stop saying that...how many times are we changing alpha splits for students!!!! Our students are sick and tried of having a new SFC's or SSA's every 4 months - due to the constant changes that DeVry makes up. I have been with DeVry for 7 years now and each year, the changes are focusing more to the "growth of income to the organization". You have to understand...this is a "business acting like a school". If DeVry was so centered to "Student Care Model" - then lower the cost of tuition.....give me a break, 1 unit here is $609.00, higher than any state school. And I think to my self, we are charging so much money for an education that has no guarantee unless students are enrolling in certain program.

SSA/SFC are so overworked, its crazy. A lot of Advisors are great people with financial, counseling and customer service backgrounds. The financial team will be given daily reports, which are expected to be completed by the end of the day. Clearing continuing students and all their verification items, new students meeting and presentations, company meetings and CASES - that never stop from flooding our daily task box. And we are suppose to do ALL this...everyday. NOT JOKE.

At the end of each session, we are told, " Why didn't we help more students out?" - Are you kidding me? Let focus on the students, not pointless reports that have no meaning unless you ARE with management and need a reason for cause to the decline in enrollment.

The decline in enrollment is simple....DeVry needs to be more selective!!! At this point, anyone that can open the door is " accepted". The finance team has to deal with reject students, pass student that can't even pass "basic" courses and don't forget VA students - that should never be allowed to attend a PRIVATE university environment. Most VA students that come to DeVry have been passed through the system....3 to 5 times from different schools. VA students are aware of the Satisfactory Academic Process at DeVry. VA students are coming to school and failing for 3 semesters and then moving on. With housing allowance that ranges in the thousands!!! These students are destroying the school credibility and academic standards. DeVry should not put up with this stuff....VA students should be given 1 semester, to prove their enrollment. For every 10 VA students 5 will withdrawal or be dismissed.

Admission advisor are paid to "LIE", I have a front row seat to the misguided, holding back and ballooning of certain aspects to the admission process. Admission advisors will call students..over and over again. Until they are sick of the non-stop method, just to achieve another weekly goal. Most Admission advisors - don't care about the student, once they have cleared week 2. Because, once they have cleared the "recorded" period....admissions is done and on to the next on. Back in the day of the DeVry Golden period - advisors were paid up to $100 to $500 a students. Certain advisors had a "car salesman" platform of selling...In 2000, this method of compensation stop....due to certain regulator conditions and rules. Profit school...what can you say. To the present day, Advisors come and go.....the one's that stay have no other alternative or they are close to retiring...so they don't care. Seeing a student for a 30 minute meeting, doesn't prove anything.....but the real impact of these "open door students" always goes to Student Central and the SSA/SFC must FIX the problems that Admission care not to focus on....

Focus on the students and not the end of year income statement, which UNBALANCE predictions of cost saving and retention....DeVry method of transitional change is letting go of employees.

I can guarantee this for the coming years, DeVry will find a way to move all finance/ advising to online. So that way, the new model will transform cost saving locations into 1...and location will be used as just an admission hub. The interaction of student to advisor has change. I'm seeing it already with our new virtual communication system - Bluejeans. No need to see an advisor at a Home Location. The advisor will come to you. That will save a few dollars huh? Moving to a online platform for full access of the income generated flow of an organization, that is finding there true meaning...just like the housing bubble, this will be next.

Advice to Management

Compare to other management positions in other University environment....the private sector has no limit on pay scale and compensation. State school and Non-Profit schools don't come close to the annual salaries of DeVry Management Team.

"Don't Waste Your Time"

Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. I worked with some amazing team members. Flexible scheduling.

Cons

The cost of tuition is a rip off. I felt that the school was taking advantage of students concerning the cost of tuition. The university was more worried about making enrollment numbers than the quality of education.There was just too much pressure to get students enrollment when some students weren't necessarily college material. No room for advancement. Too many politics made it a very negative work environment

Advice to Management

Consider freezing the tuition and preparing students on the debt they will acquire while attending a for profit university.

"Best Job I have ever had"

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor I in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor I in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DeVry University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

in the short time I have been here I have received an extreme amount of support and respect throughout the University. The management in my opinion is very understanding and extremely easy going. I am not micro managed and feel as though I am treated as though I am an asset to the company. I am compensated fairly and can take a day off without feeling guilty or being in jeopardy of losing my job. If you have to work a Saturday, it is only for four hours and you are given four hours off during your Monday through Friday shifts.

Cons

I don't have many negatives, the training could be organized better since it isn't often that they hire in my particular location. A lot of the material I was given access to was out dated and conflicted with current industry standards.

Advice to Management

Management is very supportive thus far, my advice is to continue treating your employees with respect and as assets to the company.

6. "Senior Admissions Advisor"

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DeVry University (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great local Management and fun company events

Cons

Unstable company vision from above

Advice to Management

Be honest

7. "HR Business Partner"

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I loved the camaraderie and the strong focus on employee engagement. DeVry really cares not only about the success of its students, but also very much on the personal development and success of each employee.

Cons

At the time, the university went through some struggles due to the external environment, but it actually managed things quite well and has really done some great things to improve the student and employee experience since then.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your greatest asset. Keep focused on a strong culture of care and you will keep your employees happy and engaged.

8. "Senior Admissions Advisor"

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DeVry University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The tuition benefits. There are a few amazing and motivational people at each location that helped make me stay years longer despite the low salary.

Cons

There's no ability to move up in the company. There's no way of improving your salary except taking advantage of the tuition benefits to finish your degree and taking it elsewhere.

9. "It is workplace where a lot of growth in wisdom, knowledge, and understanding can happen."

Current Employee - Student Faculty Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Student Faculty Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

A great environment to work because it involves a lot of communication and teamwork.

Cons

I have not really found a downside on working at DeVry; however, the work itself can be rather slow.

Advice to Management

Leadership at DeVry is well enough as it is because I have the fortune to work with great supervisors and directors.

"Very difficult to perform"

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great benefits
    Good place to start and learn the business
    Solid reputation
    Compensation is fair

Cons

Human resources is simply awful
    Tuition is too high for the two year programs
    Management too young with weak managerial skills
    Must be with the in crowd to get promoted
    Senior management too high pressure and negative
    CEO is greedy and impatient
    Leads are terrible some as old as two or three years

The job is very hard to do when poor behavior is not addressed, lack of professionism and poor resources to do your job. Morale is extremely low and most of the Directors are out for themselves. There is pressure to work weekends and overtime even though they don't pay time and a half. No work life balance and DeVry is joked as being a relationship killer. Most people pack on serious pounds due to stress related to the job. They closed the office due to poor numbers. Poor senior management and lack of HR support was a huge factor in the failure.

Advice to Management

Negative negative negative. Try some encouragement for a change. Stop being so greedy. Raising the tuition in this environment was assinine. Promote the best managers and not just the hot chicks or buddies of the DAs. Teach managers people skills. Fire incompetent managers. Phoenix had managers that were terrible yet never addressed them.