Dealer.com Java Developer Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Dealer.com Java Developer Reviews

Updated Nov 13, 2017

3.8
Dealer.com General Manager Wayne Pastore
Wayne Pastore
0 Rating
  1. "Great place to be an engineer, great pto and work/life balance, medical insurance is OK."

Current Employee - Java Developer

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong compensation for the Burlington area. Generous PTO policy (starting at 24 flex days in 2017 for new employees). Work-life balance is great for most engineers, and management is typically relatable. Occasional work from home is typically possible. Great job perks, company events, outings. Great company culture.

Cons

Medical insurance through parent company doesn't have many providers in VT. It's a big company, with lots of typical corporate overhead.

Dealer.com2017-09-01

"Less progressive than your average tech company."

Former Employee - Java Developer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

- super awesome corporation for the resume - great food options in the cafe - onsite amenities were fabulous. (BTV) - embraced open source solutions and performed make-or-buy analysis at a semi-regular basis. - the verticals in this company allowed for opportunity to contribute to many different code bases and solve many different problems. - in house hackathons. Also, company wide hackathons - CI/CD is amazing to work with.

Cons

- health care. I spent all of my political capital trying (unsuccessfully) to change the health care offering. - Technology choice: it’s a large corporation, so sometimes the tech that you’re super jazzed to use gets tossed to the wayside for what’s more standard. - many folks are looking elsewhere for employment opportunities, so it’s impossible to assume that the folks you know will be there in three weeks. - compensation is way below national average, but competitive to the other local competition MyWebGrocer.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your coworkers - if you’re a “pig” in a project but become a “chicken”, maybe don’t declare that to the rest of the company when half of us are still “pigs”. - Be agile and actually mean it. - Pay the folks who keep you afloat and understand that our benefits are part of our compensation package.

Dealer.com2017-11-14

"Java Developer"

Current Employee - Java Developer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good opportunities and mentorship. Supportive team-members and awesome work culture.

Cons

Lot of acquisitions caused confusion.

Dealer.com2017-06-24
  4. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Java Developer

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

The first thing that you notice about this place is the culture here. People are super friendly. From a software engineering perspective they are open to new technologies and as a developer you have all the freedom. The best part is the hackathons.

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

Continue the good work

Dealer.com2017-01-09
  5. "Big Company with Startup Culture"

Java Developer in Williston, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com for more than a year

Pros

great culture. friendly and helpful people. gym in house with free massages. play ping pong throughout the day. freedom with development

Cons

rapid growth puts strain on more senior members to aid new developers. some people are complacent with coming in late and leaving early.

Advice to Management

hold more people accountable for not filling their job position. I only see the most extreme cased of people removed or changed in the company.

Dealer.com2016-09-15

"Strongly Handling Acquisition"

Current Employee - Java Developer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, Community, Benefits, Fitness Classes, Gym, Ping Pong, On-site Cafes, Intelligent Co-Workers, Engaging Work, Stability, Successful Company, Growth

Cons

Multiple acquisitions has left some things in flux, but this is honestly not a big deal. Day to day has remained the same for most departments. Parking can be a challenge, but just wear boots on muddy/snowy days.

Dealer.com2016-02-25

"It was a great place to work when it was small, but over the last couple years it's felt more and more like a sweatshop."

Java Developer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com

Pros

great benefits (gym, organic cafe, wellness classes, ski-resort seasons pass discounts, etc.); decent salary; lots of smart, competent, friendly people to work with. sometimes you'll get a fun project to work on.

Cons

espoused "work-life balance" is a joke: even though wellness classes are offered and the gym is easily accessible, you'll rarely have time to make use of any of these resources due to your workload. in Development, 50-60 hour weeks are commonplace. further, since the company has grown so fast in such a short period of time, management has had to grow the bureaucratic layers of management as well, but it's all been rushed and in my opinion it hasn't gone very well. for example, middle-management has been talking for more than a year now about creating "road maps" for people to follow for career paths at Dealer, but these have yet to materialize. - also: I witnessed numerous occurrences (5 to be precise) of extremely poor communication between supervisors and those who worked under them, myself included. people I knew who by all accounts of those who knew them would get fired for seemingly insignificant things that reportedly were never raised during performance reviews. moral of the story here is that you can't trust performance reviews to mean anything at Dealer.com (if you should ever get one - in my 3+ years there, I never had a single one). fair warning.

Advice to Management

learn how to communicate not only positive, but especially potentially negative information, in a timely manner with the people you manage. proactively attempt to resolve situations before they become problems instead of keeping silent like a coward until it's axe-time. also, you've bitten off more than you can chew - it's nice to get contracts, but you're ruining the morale of the people who are trying to make it all happen. you guys used to have a soul, and I loved you for it. but since you've gotten big, you've lost that spark that made you great. it's sad ... but I'm glad to no longer work at Dealer.com.

Dealer.com2012-03-02
  8. "My company genuinely cares about the health and happiness of my co-workers and I."

Developer (Java) in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com

Pros

When I joined Dealer.com, I left a good paying job with a compelling technical focus. Upon coming to Dealer.com, unsure of what was in store for me, I found this environment to to be much faster paced, more technically engaging, and leaving me with an extreme feeling of responsibility and accomplishment. Every one of my peers are driven and talented, and that makes every day very fun. It's really nice to be able to count on your peers to put in the same level of effort that you will towards your common goals. I love my co-workers. I learn from them, get help from them, can count on them, and really respect them. I won't speak for them, but I do try to reciprocate. Our management makes smart decisions. It should be obvious by the combination of two things, explosive growth in the company WHILE ramping up employee programs for work / life balance. I've seen companies make strong financial goals while squeezing the will to live out of their employees, but Dealer.com is doing it while breathing a whole new quality of life into their employees. We explore new technologies every day, we try to innovate, and we do it in a healthy and fun environment ... what more can anyone ask for?

Cons

I'm hard pressed to find downsides. I've had 4 employers prior and Dealer.com seriously looks to be best of breed. Every criticism I've had or heard in the past has been addressed here. I would say that the only thing (if you had to find something) would be the rate of growth has made it hard to keep a strong relationship with all co-workers, but we've taken steps help there as well.

Advice to Management

Keep making those great decisions that bring in the financials to support our way of life. Mark Bonfigli is a mastermind in creating a culture that makes us all want to live this dream and Rick & Mike bring brilliance to the execution of that dream. Thanks for letting me be a part of it.

Dealer.com2010-12-14