Dealer.com Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dealer.com President and Chief Executive Officer Wayne Pastore
Wayne Pastore

Pros
  • Work Life Balance like no other (in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits, passionate and intelligent people to work with (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Turnover in customer service is crazy right now (also true with other departments) (in 7 reviews)

• Has hands tied most of the time due to upper management (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome Company!"

Current Employee - Digital Media Advisor, Major Accounts in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Digital Media Advisor, Major Accounts in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Part of the larger Cox Automotive umbrella of companies, such as Autotrader, Kelley Blue Book, vAuto, Manheim, etc. etc. Team of very intelligent & driven professionals that provide the digital products & services that automotive dealers need to sell & service more vehicles on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. Fun & challenging place to pursue a career for sure!

Cons

Personally, I do not have any cons, just lots of opportunities!

2. "Great Place"

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time

Pros

Dealer.Com has been an amazing place to work. The office environment is fun and really lends itself to growth, both personally and professionally.

Cons

The company has been acquired twice in the past several years. This does lead to some "growing pains".

3. "Account Director"

I worked at Dealer.com full-time

Pros

Great benefits, passionate and intelligent people to work with.

Cons

Two buy outs resulted in a lost culture

"The Company is in Complete Disarray, but all Hope is Not Lost."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time

Pros

Cox Benefits - PTO, 401K, the parent company knows the importance of happy clients.
    However, the recently acquired Dealer.com: Not so much.

Opportunity: They're a dominant force in the industry. Bright minds do have potential here, but not until management can learn to adapt to the 21st Century Workforce and put forth the necessary effort to close very wide gaps in process & workflow. My gut feeling says that won't be anytime soon.

Cons

Workflow/Processes:
    Systems are built in-house and way too much time gets sacrificed because of it. HOURS of productivity are squandered each day. This isn't speaking to the company as a whole, but this applies to each and every employee at Dealer.com. The programs, tools, and resources are developed in-house; and thus completely useless towards self-development or the inevitable updates that you'll make to your resume. My suspicion is that Cox will do something about it very soon, and that will be a happy day for anyone who has put up with it.

Pay is below average: They'll tell you about the great benefits, and it's true: but make sure you have serious credentials if you want anything near market average.

Politics:
    Want to get ahead? Use big words and cliches even when it's irrelevant or plain old common sense. If you're great at showing up to pointless meetings with pointless things to say - your visibility will vibrate throughout management.

Disclaimer: They're good people, this is not an attack on them personally. However, they have a tendency to make poor business decisions based on personal opinion.

Advice to Management

Enough has been said here already, but hopefully this has helped you as the reader - should you choose to roll the dice on a successful future with Dealer.com.

More importantly, let's hope the management learns something here and adjusts their approach to politics, processes, and the way they treat their people.

6. "Best Place to Work in Vermont"

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time

Pros

Fast paced tech community surrounded by many like minded people. Great facilities, perks etc.

Cons

Losing culture and gaining large company mentality due to buyouts.

Advice to Management

Find a way to make employees feel as though they matter and that they aren't lost in a big corporate machine.

7. "Great culture and team"

I worked at Dealer.com full-time

Pros

Fast growing company, with lots of perks.

Cons

start-up tech company feel has been replaced by a more corporate culture

Advice to Management

Embrace the thought leaders...continue to innovate from within the brain-trust that lives within the company.

"Unbelievable location/office, great co-workers, technology is way behind"

Former Employee - Ad Performance Strategist in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Ad Performance Strategist in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chef on site, you can see the beach from any window, you can walk to the pier/water in <5 minutes. Relatively autonomous workload depending on who your manager is. Strategists were autonomous, DA's usually had someone breathing down their neck but it will all depend on your manager.

Cons

As a strategist, the tools we worked with were garbage. Some tools look like a glorified excel file. You never knew if your changes were going to stick, if it worked right, or if there was going to be some sort of outage that day. Because of this, you'd basically be double checking your work all the time which is ineffective. On top of that, engineering did not prioritize the tools we used in order for us to do our job effectively. There was basically one guy who could fix stuff for us if we complained long enough. Eng had no idea what our needs were and never built tools with efficiency/user experience/reliability in mind.

Advice to Management

Analysts/strategists should be guiding the direction of search technology/products as we know what clients want and know what the UX should be like. Also, all too often new hires are very poor candidates.

9. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Java Developer
    Current Employee - Senior Java Developer

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The first thing that you notice about this place is the culture here. People are super friendly. From a software engineering perspective they are open to new technologies and as a developer you have all the freedom. The best part is the hackathons.

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

Continue the good work

10. "Digital Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Digital Sales Consultant in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Consultant in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great office culture. Awesome coworkers!

Cons

Going too corporate. Difficult clients to work with

"unprofessional incompetent management"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice location (Manhattan Beach). nice office. food service is great.

Cons

Technical management spends more time gossiping then doing actual work. They set bad example for everybody, but feel protected. Since it is remote office, there is really nobody that can witness this behavior.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified people. Reward good engineers. Get rid of unprofessional and unproductive management.