Dealer.com Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Dealer.com President and Chief Executive Officer Wayne Pastore
Wayne Pastore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is always important to Cox and Dealer (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits, passionate and intelligent people to work with (in 17 reviews)

"Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues are hard-working, driven and smart. The culture, compensation and benefits are great, especially for such a small town.

Cons

Since the latest acquisition(s), there is a noticeable decline in the amount of care and pride being placed in continuing the culture and talent-breeding environment that dealer.com has been. "Work hard, play hard" is quickly being replaced by the big business feel of "don't work too hard and clock out."

Advice to Management

Dealer.com was an amazing place to work because it the C-level truly cared about their employees. They understood that investing in and attracting the A-class talent would allow us to innovate and compete on a national stage. The more this culture is stifled, the less amazing things will come out of this business unit.

2. "Unique culture, exceptional benefits"

Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leader in automotive digital marketing, friendly and modern work environment, intelligent coworkers, ample PTO, no-micro managing, local discounts, onsite gym

Cons

Entry level compensation for some positions is subpar, space is tight at the headquarters in Burlington

Advice to Management

Pay attention to working conditions and moral at Lakeside. Reward your employees with competitive compensation, especially for entry level positions - it will improve employee retention and loyalty.

"Java Developer"

Current Employee - Java Developer in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities and mentorship. Supportive team-members and awesome work culture.

Cons

Lot of acquisitions caused confusion.

4. "Campaign Coordinator"

Current Employee - Campaign Coordinator in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Campaign Coordinator in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Good benefits and lots of additional perks like ski passes and fitness classes. Good managerial support and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Business is growing so fast we are a bit cramped for space. Lots of people in a small area.

5. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great community environment, lots of benefits, and great managers!

Cons

Health insurance could be better.

Advice to Management

Grow employees instead of hiring outside the company.

"Digital Advisor- Subaru of American Team"

Former Employee - Digital Advisor in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Digital Advisor in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

gym, cafe, life team, supportive work environment, living in vermont, beach tennis, ski passes

Cons

cons: selling my soul to the auto industry, encouraging more cars on the road when I'd rather live a green life, not feeling like I was actually 'helping' anyone at the end of the day.

Advice to Management

The management is pretty great there.

7. "Great co-workers & benefits!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mission, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mission, KS

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cox insurance is great when it comes to surgeries, procedures and mail in prescriptions.
    A large amount of PTO.
    A lot of extra employee benefits with Cox Auto.
    Management has pulled together teams that compliment each other well.
    Everyones able to work efficiently together even despite the fact that the teams are spread out within several locations & states.
    Work/Life balance is always important to Cox and Dealer.com.
    Management cares and listens to what you have to say when it comes to concerns, your career path, and ideas you may have.
    You have room for self development and can follow the path you want to go in.
    Self & team goals - so you are always working towards something.

Cons

Merges between companies can be messy... and the merge between Vinsolution's and Dealer.com was exactly that. A lot of good people left, morals went down and uncertainty about future jobs were questioned.
    The salary should match the national average, especially when you are doing so much with training and trying to reach highly expected quarterly goals.
    Mail in prescriptions are a nightmare - we should be able to have the same prices for pickup at a pharmacy as we do mail in. (which takes about 2 weeks for the entire process - you usually run out of medicine before you get your shipment).
    The Vin/Cox/Dealer.com building needs remodeled and the company culture needs to be better. Dealer.com and Cox's HQ's are amazing with their mini "google atmospheres". All of the locations should be able to benefit from that as well.

Advice to Management

I have have been beyond satisfied with every manager that I have had while working here. That does not go without saying I haven't seen other management issues.

I can however point out that the managers I have had were all -
    Ccoaching you through your days and helping you eliminate roadblocks while empowering you to do your best.
    Productive one on ones where you are praised for your strengths, and not reported on for your lack of.
    Have interest in you as a person, your skills, the roadblocks you may have, or concerns you may express.

My only constructive advice would be to :
    Please check the salary competition and market value of the positions within your team. Make sure your employees are getting paid what they should be so that they do not have to watch their coworkers find other jobs that are paying the market value for their position.

"The Company is in Complete Disarray, but all Hope is Not Lost."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time

Pros

Cox Benefits - PTO, 401K, the parent company knows the importance of happy clients.
    However, the recently acquired Dealer.com: Not so much.

Opportunity: They're a dominant force in the industry. Bright minds do have potential here, but not until management can learn to adapt to the 21st Century Workforce and put forth the necessary effort to close very wide gaps in process & workflow. My gut feeling says that won't be anytime soon.

Cons

Workflow/Processes:
    Systems are built in-house and way too much time gets sacrificed because of it. HOURS of productivity are squandered each day. This isn't speaking to the company as a whole, but this applies to each and every employee at Dealer.com. The programs, tools, and resources are developed in-house; and thus completely useless towards self-development or the inevitable updates that you'll make to your resume. My suspicion is that Cox will do something about it very soon, and that will be a happy day for anyone who has put up with it.

Pay is below average: They'll tell you about the great benefits, and it's true: but make sure you have serious credentials if you want anything near market average.

Politics:
    Want to get ahead? Use big words and cliches even when it's irrelevant or plain old common sense. If you're great at showing up to pointless meetings with pointless things to say - your visibility will vibrate throughout management.

Disclaimer: They're good people, this is not an attack on them personally. However, they have a tendency to make poor business decisions based on personal opinion.

Advice to Management

Enough has been said here already, but hopefully this has helped you as the reader - should you choose to roll the dice on a successful future with Dealer.com.

More importantly, let's hope the management learns something here and adjusts their approach to politics, processes, and the way they treat their people.

"Unbelievable location/office, great co-workers, technology is way behind"

Former Employee - Ad Performance Strategist in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Ad Performance Strategist in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chef on site, you can see the beach from any window, you can walk to the pier/water in <5 minutes. Relatively autonomous workload depending on who your manager is. Strategists were autonomous, DA's usually had someone breathing down their neck but it will all depend on your manager.

Cons

As a strategist, the tools we worked with were garbage. Some tools look like a glorified excel file. You never knew if your changes were going to stick, if it worked right, or if there was going to be some sort of outage that day. Because of this, you'd basically be double checking your work all the time which is ineffective. On top of that, engineering did not prioritize the tools we used in order for us to do our job effectively. There was basically one guy who could fix stuff for us if we complained long enough. Eng had no idea what our needs were and never built tools with efficiency/user experience/reliability in mind.

Advice to Management

Analysts/strategists should be guiding the direction of search technology/products as we know what clients want and know what the UX should be like. Also, all too often new hires are very poor candidates.

10. "Digital Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Digital Sales Consultant in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Consultant in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great office culture. Awesome coworkers!

Cons

Going too corporate. Difficult clients to work with