Dealer.com Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Dealer.com President and Chief Executive Officer Wayne Pastore
Wayne Pastore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is always important to Cox and Dealer (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits, passionate and intelligent people to work with (in 17 reviews)

Cons

"Small Part of Huge Corporation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

Pros

DDC still has good benefits. Work with smart, generous, aggressive people.

Cons

Lots of challenges right now! Dealer.com's been acquired 2x since 2013. The founders of the company left and it’s now owned by the huge Atlanta based corporation Cox. But they clearly don’t understand or value the brand they bought.

Turnover in customer service is crazy right now (also true with other departments). Pay is way below market value. Few ways to move up in your career. Some internal platforms are broken and there's no one to fix them. It's hard to find someone to answer a question. It's hard to do everyday work.

In my department - we’re understaffed, can’t keep interns, have no budget. When I hear from them, my managers seem overworked and powerless. There is basically no plan. NOT fun times.

Advice to Management

Teach your people managers how to manage people. Invest in retaining and developing your talent. Invest in DDC.

"Wolf in sheep's clothing"

Former Employee - Manager in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Manager in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Parties are pretty cool
    Office is a neat space
    Decent benefits

Cons

The good stuff they put out is just a front to suck people in. They show their true colors only once you're in.
    Tons of little cliques, including upper management. If you aren't in, you'd better watch your back.
    Other departments' mistakes are blamed on the low man on the totem pole.
    Salaries are obscenely low relative to the cost to live in the area.
    HR has no idea what it's doing, babying some and firing others.
    Managers cannot manage their products as they must go through product managers who honestly don't care.
    Upper management cannot handle push back from mid managers--do so at your own risk.

Advice to Management

Let the people who know the products best--the managers--manage their product.
    Do not staff to below our needs to save money then complain when goals aren't met.
    Try listening and absorbing what managers are saying instead of nodding your head and not listening.

"Overworked and Underpaid; Cliques and Homelessness"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young, hip culture...until you find out the truth. Check out the interview reviews. They test experienced people and then deem them unsuitable for roles that they are clearly overqualified for. That's because they look to hire a younger workforce. Younger...meaning they don't know any better and are easily fooled by perks. It doesn't cost them anything to have an onsite gym, and over priced cafe. And you're lulled into thinking it's a great environment but really they're overworking you in the name of team spirit. Only someone under the age of 32 would buy into that. If you're over the age of 32, you''re probably catching on. Not sure how they allow "older" people in this company to stay on...oh they don't, they practice the art of making it an uncomfortable work environment, reducing your duties, keeping you in the dark, ostracizing you. It didn't happen to me but I have seen it happen to "friends."

Cons

Moved to Burlington to "save" my job. It's cold and overrun by homeless people. Unfriendly coworkers and locals. Low Pay. Expectations are to work 65+ hours a week for low salary. They hire young because the younger they are the more likely they'll work for less pay. Working at Dealer is like being in high school with it's cliques and peer pressure to conform. It is one sick sick sick culture.

Advice to Management

Thanks for the experience. You're going to see more people leaving because they're chocking on the cool-aid.

"Run! Run Far, Far Away From This Company"

Current Employee - Advertising Analyst in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Advertising Analyst in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great downtown Manhattan Beach location, 2 blocks to the beach, on-site cafe, nice locker rooms, after work activities such as beach volleyball and yoga

Cons

Archaic management structure and function is horrible, training is non-existent, scarce resources, constantly changing priorities, revolving door of employees. It seems like a great place to work at first, but you soon realize it is little more than a facade and a trap. Get out while you can, or better yet, do yourself a favor and do not sign on with this company. There are many better than the dealer.com crap show.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and dignity. Your company will continue to go downhill because you don't value or appreciate the talent you have there. Most of the good ones have already left or been forced out. All that remains is a skeleton of what the company used to be.

"SEO Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

Pros

They have a gym and an awesome cafeteria. Really awesome team-members. I love working on the couch and bean bags - makes the day go by faster. My boss is enjoyable to be around and is accommodating.

Cons

Client and work overload. Burn out will occur in the first few months. You won't grow or learn anything more than what you knew coming into this company. Low salary and a high turnover. I do not recommend.

Advice to Management

Sell the service at a higher cost and / or add more people so that everyone has a manageable client load. Being stretched so thin limits the amount of care and individual attention one can give to each client. Don't turn this into a sweatshop we aren't located in China.

"Avoid this place if you're going to be a DA or in Support"

Former Employee - Support Analyst in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Support Analyst in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company really tries to care about its employees... the benefits are great (although health, dental, and vision insurance got slightly worse and twice as expensive after being acquired by DealerTrack), and the company offers a lot of employee perks through the Life program. There's two cafes in the Vermont 1 Howard St building that serve pretty good (if expensive) food and snacks. Also, free coffee.. can't go wrong with that. Onsite gym and 'The Playground' (basketball, ping pong, tennis, etc).

The company also really tries hard to be a good player in the community, donating to local organizations or organizing volunteer days. This has contributed to the "blind love" for Dealer.com in Vermont.

Cons

The Support department is SEVERELY understaffed. They provide VERY inadequate training... Fortunately, there is a small team within Support that are the "experts" who help you solve issues. Management in Support is appalling... managers will never ask you how you're doing, they will almost never strike up a conversation with you, and you will NOT get the sense that they care.

You will be "ramped up" very quickly, and before you know it, you will be assigned 5+ tickets every day, and have a 4 hour phone shift each day.. that leaves you ~3.5 hours to work on your "backlog" (assigned tickets), which if you ever get behind... will increasingly pile up until you're so far behind that you can't get anything done on time. Then, you'll have the annoying DA team (also part of Customer Service) constantly on your case because the client is looking for an update. It's not their fault, they're also understaffed.. but then you also get managers who go on and on about stats, hold times, etc. They constantly talk of "improving our efficiency"... there is only so much efficiency you can squeeze out of a small team where EVERYONE is doing their absolute best. You will get burned out very quickly.

Add to that the daily chaos of stuff breaking. Let me just say, SOMETHING is ALWAYS broken at Dealer.com. The infrastructure is crumbling. I'm not joking when I say we have an outage of some kind every week, and they seem to be becoming more frequent as time has gone on. This could range from our products being sluggish to being totally down, which internally gets classified as an 'incident' rather than what it should be -- an OUTAGE. This drives up calls to Support and we get so swamped that we have to drop everything to handle the volume... which, you guessed it, leaves you more behind than you already were. Don't bother asking for help from managers, because they won't give you any. They'll say things like "how about we give you a few less tickets today", which does not help at all. I gave up trying to ask for help, and realized that managers don't care one way or another.

I've also noticed a trend where the company pushes subpar products and sells them as if they're the next best thing. The company SERIOUSLY has a problem for focusing on GARBAGE that looks pretty, so they can sell it to dealers. I'm talking about things like Lifecycles, Social, etc. They neglect the products that customers CONSTANTLY call in on, such as Inventory Manager, Specials Builder Pro, Composer, etc. Not only that, but they are always "tweaking" the products, adding features... but they never polish them, and to me - it seems like they don't even test the products, because they often break when updates are released.

I know for a fact that upper management cares more about money than they do about what's good for our customers, just based on things I've seen while at the company. For example, the attitude when we lose an opportunity to upsell a customer is "aw, look at all the money we just lost", rather than "Wow, we really need to improve the customer experience - why did we lose that opportunity?".

Working in Support... you will constantly have to "escalate" issues to other departments, like Development, which often take weeks to get resolved (if ever). When I was new, I tried to report every bug... until I realized that no one cares, and they will never get fixed. We had a bug with one of our products in IE10... Development decided not to fix it, saying "we're too swamped, and no one uses IE10". Great attitude, Dealer.com. This is the kind of stuff you will have to deal with on a daily basis, and you WILL grow tired of it if you care at all about what you do.

It's really unfortunate... Dealer.com makes great websites, and in my opinion.. some of the best in the business. Yeah, they're "templates", but that means it's easier to support them, optimize them, and improve them... if only the back-end infrastructure was better. Believe me when I say that the people in Support really do care about the customers, but we are NOT given the time we need to do a good job.

Now, the company has been bought by DealerTrack... which in my opinion, is a disaster in the making. DealerTrack is known for horrible customer service, and is this large behemoth that swallows up smaller companies to suck up all they're worth. The merger has already produced some negative results (worse benefits package), and in my opinion, is just going to make it even MORE difficult for Dealer.com to function. DDC is already overwhelmed with everything it is trying to do on its own, the merger with DealerTrack is just going to make things worse.

Someone else here commented that Dealer.com doesn't care about the people in the other offices... I disagree, at least from the point of view of someone in Support. We really do care about you guys, but we're just a gear in the machine.

On my way out, I've learned that most people in Support are just as jaded and stressed as I was... they're just better at hiding it. Many of my concerns are echoed by others, but they choose not to speak up. Some of them are just there for a paycheck, and that's why they are willing to deal with it. Personally, for me, I can't work somewhere that I don't have faith in, and DDC was sucking the passion out of me.

Advice to Management

Management - you SERIOUSLY need to BOOST MORALE! Show that you actually care about your team. Talk to us, get to know us. Every single one of you in Support comes across as cold, unapproachable, and uncaring. Every single time I asked for help, my concerns were snuffed. Every time I brought up an idea, it was dismissed. You have A LOT of team members who feel very neglected... and if that doesn't change, I feel that more people will leave. You need to listen to our concerns, be a part of what we deal with on a daily basis.

One thing I want to mention ... when I was sick and asked if I could leave, and you said "if you have to"... why is it that you all leave to go home early, while your team is swamped on phones with no direction or assistance from managers? Way to leave us by the wayside.

"They Like'em Young"

Current Employee - Web Designer in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Web Designer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of perky young people with nice bodies and a great gym to be oogled at. You get a salary. Health care is not bad. Tight clothes.

Cons

Managers look down from windows above at their young subjects lusting for a piece. Noisy, very noisy, like a mall on Black Friday. Low pay. Freakish cult atmosphere. Overpriced cafe. HR works against employees. Fake smiles. Abusive managers. Plastic faces.

Advice to Management

Come to work sober. Realize we don't worship you. Get a life. Have some kids. Grow up.

"I'd never recommend Dealer Dot Com to a friend"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro to working at DDC is the health care package. It's very good. Yes, you'll hear about fitness, a gym, and so on, but if you're an engineer, you won't have much of a chance to use these facilities as you will be working day and night and most of the weekend.

Cons

The pay is not good. The demographics are definitely skewed to white and young. Once you begin to age, they pretty much shove you out the door, not because of performance, but because they have a fetish for young people.

Advancement has everything to do with falling into the founders' clique, which is a pretty ugly click to fall into. Imagine a frat-boy atmosphere of sophomore-ish old men with no family lives and chicks on their mind. To get a management position, its best to party with these guys, stoop down to their level, drink a lot, ignore your family if you have one, and be a general cad of a useless bag of skin.

Management uses "performance enhancement plans" to drum people out. Once they've marked you (for being older, caring about your family more than DDC, or having a life), you will be put on a path of constant pressure and engineered "failure," until such a time as you either quit or they show you the door.

Beneath the illusion of caring for employees, there is a parasitic class of hanger-ons that are friends with the "Chief Earthling" (yeah, that's his title). They are his party-entourage. They get their jobs through friendship with the Chief Earthling for silly jobs in the "Life Department." The Life Department exists not for the benefit of the employees, but really in order to give jobs to the Chief Earthlings cronies.

There is an overpriced organic cafe that serves the food that the Chief Earthling wants to eat. Those within his special entourage often eat free while those that actually produce do not.

Since I've left DDC, I've met many people in the Burlington area that have nothing positive to say about DDC, only negative experiences and/or stories they've heard. The company has a reputation as a "cult." Perhaps "cult" is too strong of a word, but it surely resembles one in may ways.

Advice to Management

My advice to the new company that took over Dealer.com is to fire the entire company's leadership, from the founders and Chief Earthling all the way down to the lowest level of management. Get rid of the Life Department. Scrap the organic cafe and feed the employees food they want to eat. Most of all, investigate your new property for age discrimination. I suspect you will find evidence.

"Greedy Sr Management who are amazing liars"

Former Employee - Engineering Department Employee in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Engineering Department Employee in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Got sold to Dealer Track - maybe

Cons

If you like to work smart and hard this is not the place for you.
    Leadership is rude and often unprofessional
    No consideration for quality work but if you work late and party with leaders, you are going places.
    Work space is noisy, desks small and conference rooms scarce. On top of it the new building leaks.

Advice to Management

Hire some real professionals - your VPs, C levels have no experience outside dealer. They are ruining the company.

"I should have trusted my instincts"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours (for some positions), it's a decent job for Vermont

Cons

1. Lack of talent - The company is filled with kids fresh out of college. They make no effort to bring in talented/educated/experienced employees. If someone applied 6-10 times before eventually getting hired, they shouldn't be with the company, but that seems to be a large portion of new hires. Training lower level employee in house was a mistake because DDC is now far behind the rest of the digital industry.

2. Structure - no one knows what the managers do. Without a clear power structure tasks do not get properly prioritized. (i.e. assignments are given laterally and each person receiving the task decides the priority).

3. Conflicts of interest - the company draws no lines between competitors. The same work is done for competing dealerships & the information on strategy & tactics is openly shared. In addition, several services are charged at exorbitant rates 10x industry standards (based on actual hours worked).

4. The products are horrible - developing everything in house was a bad idea. Every product & internal tool is riddled with bugs & completely inflexible. Since they don't/can't hire talented developers, major problems can go months or even years without being addressed.

5. Communication - Incredible revenue & employee growth has wrecked havoc on inter-departmental communication. Anything that can't be done in your department will fall into a black hole and you never know if/when it will come out.

6. No job growth - most people only move laterally when they burn out on a specific job. Promotions appear rare.

Advice to Management

Hire talented people & pay them enough to keep them around. Get a consulting firm filled with MBAs to come in to do a re-org so when you have talented people their managers are able to tell and can make sure they stay.