Dealer.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dealer.com President and Chief Executive Officer Wayne Pastore
Wayne Pastore

Pros
Cons
  • Business is growing so fast we are a bit cramped for space (in 6 reviews)

• Turnover in customer service is crazy right now (also true with other departments) (in 7 reviews)

"The Company is in Complete Disarray, but all Hope is Not Lost."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time

Pros

Cox Benefits - PTO, 401K, the parent company knows the importance of happy clients.
    However, the recently acquired Dealer.com: Not so much.

Opportunity: They're a dominant force in the industry. Bright minds do have potential here, but not until management can learn to adapt to the 21st Century Workforce and put forth the necessary effort to close very wide gaps in process & workflow. My gut feeling says that won't be anytime soon.

Cons

Workflow/Processes:
    Systems are built in-house and way too much time gets sacrificed because of it. HOURS of productivity are squandered each day. This isn't speaking to the company as a whole, but this applies to each and every employee at Dealer.com. The programs, tools, and resources are developed in-house; and thus completely useless towards self-development or the inevitable updates that you'll make to your resume. My suspicion is that Cox will do something about it very soon, and that will be a happy day for anyone who has put up with it.

Pay is below average: They'll tell you about the great benefits, and it's true: but make sure you have serious credentials if you want anything near market average.

Politics:
    Want to get ahead? Use big words and cliches even when it's irrelevant or plain old common sense. If you're great at showing up to pointless meetings with pointless things to say - your visibility will vibrate throughout management.

Disclaimer: They're good people, this is not an attack on them personally. However, they have a tendency to make poor business decisions based on personal opinion.

Advice to Management

Enough has been said here already, but hopefully this has helped you as the reader - should you choose to roll the dice on a successful future with Dealer.com.

More importantly, let's hope the management learns something here and adjusts their approach to politics, processes, and the way they treat their people.

"unprofessional incompetent management"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice location (Manhattan Beach). nice office. food service is great.

Cons

Technical management spends more time gossiping then doing actual work. They set bad example for everybody, but feel protected. Since it is remote office, there is really nobody that can witness this behavior.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified people. Reward good engineers. Get rid of unprofessional and unproductive management.

"An Interesting Ride.."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Extremely intelligent team supporting the software and applications.
    Google-like culture helps to maintain a good work/life balance
    Competitive Pay and benefits

Cons

DealerTrack purchase broke a lot of what worked for Dealer.com.
    Cox Automotive purchase broke what was left from the original purchase.
    Middle-management has no management experience. It shows. There are a few that have broken the teams apart due to their managing style and practice. I'm not sure how upper management doesn't see this.
    There's a saying in Vermont, where Dealer.com is from - If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes, it will change. This is the same concept as for the organizational changes. They occur too often. It disrupts momentum and moral.
    High-school like clicks and management has their favorites.

Advice to Management

Speak with your employees more, not the management. Learn of our challenges, do our jobs for a day or two to see why sometimes we struggle, but also how we succeed.

4. "Local"

Former Employee - Production Project Manager in Mission, KS
    Former Employee - Production Project Manager in Mission, KS

Pros

The pros of working for Dealer.com is the Dallas and Kansas City offices. These two offices have great people and a great culture.

Cons

Dealer.com needs to work a lot more on transparency and communication. They rely too heavily on widgets and do not offer a personalized experience. There are absolutely no opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

Put people before numbers. Get back to a creative, personalized experience.

"Good Company but not for Dallas"

Former Employee - Technical Lead in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Lead in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

i worked at the Dallas office for a few months. I really liked the high energy and technology driven culture of the company. Despite being a small company they do take their engineering very seriously. The teams are methodical and rigorous about their work. Technically I was very satisfied with the company. if you live in Vermont then this is a very good company to work for.

Cons

1. As soon as I joined, the Dallas office was split into two and half the workforce was sent to another company called Dealer Socket.

2. There were major layoffs and 60 people were asked to leave on the same day (in fact they were told about the decision and immediately asked to walk out).

3. Most engineering teams in Dallas just work as contractors for the teams in Vermont. They don't own engineering roadmap, they just work as a out sourcing center.

4. The parent company COX has no serious growth plans for Dallas. They just talk, but on ground 0, nothing happens. Most teams are facing attrition and the company does not fill those positions.

Some other things to note are

1. The insurance provided by the company is really expensive. My copay went through the roof and doctors and pharmacists complained about the expensive and poor coverage by the insurance.

Advice to Management

Have a grown plan for entire company and stop being territorial

"Was great, now a corporate behemoth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Burlington VT is a great place to work/live, nice gym on site, can move fairly quickly within company but will still be hamstrung by middle management.

Cons

DDC has undergone two acquisitions, and it shows. We've lost almost all of the founders (they made it, can't blame them) and are left with a skeleton crew that many suspect to only be involved still as part of the acquisition contract. The workplace is more apt for someone who wants to play it safe and work in a slow-moving environment than someone seeking future growth and an innovative workplace. The impact of the acquisitions may be lost on newer hires but is apparent to anyone who's been there for a couple of years.

Advice to Management

Protect the DDC culture as best you can.

"Beware DDC was acquired and culture is very different"

Former Employee - Digital Advisor in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Digital Advisor in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great fitness and Cafe at the location. The people in higher manager are great.

Cons

The middle level managers should be replaced with more progressive management style. Kind of dirty, and no privacy everyone sits in a room and are all on the phone at the same time. One of the managers is very poor, she should retire. Very negative and abusive, expect one person to do the work of 2.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the negative lower level manager, causes turn over and low employee moral. Also behavior could be considered as harassment. Clean things up, give people some more privacy so they can focus on customers.

"New Acquisition! ChaChing for Leaders!"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Another acquisition! More Growth! This is great for our field. Thank you Rick Gibbs for penning the deal with Cox. It will be great to be a part of the Cox team. I know that there will be redundancies in roles as we merge teams but the advantage is we're joining an established team. Time to shake off some of the dead wood around here!

Cons

It's very cold in Burlington. New for me coming from out of state. People in town/communities are not friendly to outsiders. Very large homeless population. Very sad to see, and a few token community service events will not make an impact. They get people excited about contributing, but it is a farce. We need to do more. My family does not feel safe here either. When I brought my concerns to the team running events they down played the severity of the problem.

Advice to Management

You've cashed in with the Dealertrack buy out. You're cashing in double for the Cox acquisition. Why not use your millions to help the community? Also, we know when you're not telling the truth. We're not stupid. Also, it is widely known that if you don't drink the Earthling Kool Aid you'll be blacklisted.

"They focus on the unimportant and let hard work be overlooked"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first got to Dealer.com I could not believe the great things that they had there such as a massive gym, massage rooms with on-site masseuses, multiple cafes that touted local, organic ingredients, and a workplace that claimed to be centered around fun" and creativity. This got me excited and drew me in. At first I imagined myself working there long-term. I was excited about the company's growth and I felt that my voice would be heard if I had any ideas or constructive feedback.

Cons

After the first few months the glamour wore off. I was doing the same repetitive, menial tasks for 8+ hours a day, 5 days a week. I was in a position where I had been promised training and the opportunity to collaborate with other teams. After a year and repeated requests on my part to do so this still did not happen. I was still sitting in the same windowless room, day in and day out, doing the same thing. The people that I worked with all looked the same: twenty-somethings that spent more time playing golf on the roof (yes, there is golf on the roof), drinking beers on the job, and perusing Facebook than actual work. As somebody with work ethic and the desire to perform well at my job this was very frustrating to see. People spent way too much time sharing photos of the last "epic" winter/summer party (yes, they have two a year). On Fridays you could forget about seeing anything get done. People start drinking first thing in the morning, I kid you not. The party attitude is way too over-emphasized. A friend of mine teaches classes for individuals convicted of DUIs and guess what? He says that they get a slough of Dealer.com folks every year. I am not surprised. A lot of people quit during my time there because they were expected to keep on working once they got home and they would rather spend a bit of time with their families. I'm in my late twenties and I have a child. I felt like there was no future for me there because I would be phased out like so many others that I saw. I would rather work at a place that rewards real talent, none of this popularity contest stuff.

Advice to Management

Crack down on the alcohol in the workplace. It is disgusting. Follow through on promises to employees. CUT SPENDING. No more of these ridiculous parties (believe me, they are way over the top, there are pole dancers and everything). Cut back on the cafe food. This isn't high school. People can bring their own food from home. One cafe is more than enough, especially in the South End where there are many other local businesses trying to thrive. Eliminate some of the unnecessary employees (or astronauts as they call them) like the masseuses and the Life Team. Oh, and the vid team. Those guys act like rock stars and actually spend days creating ridiculous music videos of the employees rapping in costumes and the like. It makes me cringe. Crack down on employees actually getting work done instead of playing on social media and drinking beers on the roof while playing golf and volleyball. Make it a respectable place to work instead of a circus. Maybe if that happens I will bring my talent back there. For now I am satisfied elsewhere.

"Management highly irresponsible."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The engineers I worked with were highly competent and super nice. A great, generous bunch of guys.

Cons

Management has let the network infrastructure rot for years. There was no disaster recovery site and key systems were not backed up. Production servers in California depended on systems in a VT server room which had inadequate cooling. There were frequent outages as a result of overheating.

The company has been sold to DealerTrack.com in Long Island so I'd think twice about moving to VT.

Advice to Management

Stop taking systems admins for granted. Fix the horribly inadequate network infrastructure.