Dealer.com "burlington" Reviews | Glassdoor

Dealer.com Employee Reviews about "burlington"

Updated Sep 11, 2019

3.7
Dealer.com CEO Wayne Pastore
Wayne Pastore
Pros
Cons
  • "Compensation could be better, Dealer really takes advantage of the fact that they are one of the only games in town(in 15 reviews)

• "It used to 'be cool' to work at DDC, until they painted over those exact wors with some new corporate slogan(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "burlington"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Your Mileage May Vary By Department"

Current Employee - Engineering Employee in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers and community, adequate compensation (especially for Burlington), solid vacation time, flexible work from home policies, great amenities, lots of management support for career advancement and professional development, support for community involvement and volunteering.

Cons

Departments are very siloed; at lower levels there isn't a lot of communication across them. A lot of the negative reviews here cite things I haven't witnessed in my department but could easily be happening elsewhere and I'd never know.

Advice to Management

Finding a way to increase transparency between departments would be awesome. Having a better understanding of internal needs would facilitate improved efficiency and an even greater sense of community.

Dealer.com2018-12-12

"Great Company with Awesome People, But Be Prepared to Grind"

Former Employee - Senior SEO Analyst in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Awesome Co-Workers (the one thing I miss about working at DDC. A real eclectic, fun-loving group of people) - Decent Benefits for BTV Market - Lots of Perks in the Burlington Office (On-Site Gym, Indoor Tennis Court/Basketball Court, Crossfit Equipment, Yoga Studio, Subsidized Local Food, Two Cafes, On-site Massages, etc.) - If you love cars, you get to live in the automotive industry day-in and day-out

Cons

- Workload was massive and the client-load was unmanageable. It was a constant grind. A 40 hr work week was unobtainable if all monthly deliverables were to be completed fully and on-time. Lower level management was understanding of the constraints and tried to help, which was appreciated, but at the end of the day, we were arguably the best SEO team in the industry, the Sales team was effective in increasing... business, and it was just a total grind trying to supply the demand. - Pay is low (especially in comparison to larger markets and given the workload) - Difficult to take PTO because of the workload. - Beginning to lose the culture/vibe that made DDC the best place to work in VT (transitioning from start-up/community vibe to corporate vibe at a quick pace) - Upper management didn't seem in-tune with the SEO department, beyond the sales and churn figures.

Advice to Management

SEO Managers - Keep doing the great work you've been doing all along, but check-in and have candid conversations with team members. Many long-term, valued analysts are burnt out and looking for a way out. Not because they dislike the team or SEO, but because the workload is not sustainable. Managed Services Leadership - Take a serious interest in the SEO department and the work that they do. Actually shadow an... Analyst for a day to understand how they operate, interact with clients, the difference they make, and then find a way to budget for the hiring of more Analysts. Top-notch people are leaving MS and the organization because the workload is massive, the stress is high, and at the end of the day, the reward is just not there.

Dealer.com2019-09-11

"Great opportunity on the outside"

Current Employee - Senior Digital Strategist

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time

Pros

The compensation is fair and in line with the market. Being part of Cox Automotive opens up a lot of doors because they have so many business units. That's about it. For full transparency, the Burlington office is awesome, but if you aren't willing to live in Vermont, you might as well not exist to this company. They also apparently allow some people to work remotely, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to who... they allow to do this.

Cons

A lot of micro-managing. They tell the Digital Strategists to own their portfolio and work with their customers they way they want to be worked with but then want to be shadowing every call. They do not empower teammates to go above and beyond because everyone, regardless of tenure or experience, gets put on the same pedestal. As some other reviews have mentioned, there is little growth opportunity outside of upper... management. Which ironically, there seems to be a lot of turnover in upper management.

Advice to Management

Follow through with what you say and stop making such drastic changes before you fully understand the repercussions. Also, realize that the world does not revolve around Burlington and you are missing out on a lot of amazing talent by being so narrow minded.

Dealer.com2019-06-13

"A Shell of the Company It Once Was"

Former Employee - Copywriter in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the few "good" options for employers in the Burlington area. There are plenty of amenities (gym, workout classes, cafeteria) for those interested in corporate benefits. My favorite thing about Dealer.com is how invested the company is in the local community.

Cons

The balance between management and the average employee is horribly lopsided. No matter what progress any particular team would make, the messages communicated by management would effectively negate it and/or bring up all new issues. My first 16 months with the Copywriting team felt like one long crunch, focused on working our way out from an enormous backlog of customer content; a problem which could have been... mitigated sooner or even avoided entirely with more effective management and an ounce of foresight. On top of all of this, the heath insurance offered by Cox Automotive was horrible compared to what was provided prior and resulted in nearly 2 years of not having an in-network dentist in the local area before I left the company.

Advice to Management

Make your chain of command more efficient and stop rewarding managers with short tenures who take credit for an entire team's contribution to the business. In terms of the copywriting team, more effort needs to be made to internally promote hardworking team members to a Supervisor position that doesn't just make them a manager with less pay.

Dealer.com2019-04-18

"Would recommend to a friend, but with several caveats"

Current Employee - Digital Strategist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time

Pros

-Great and helpful co-workers -Relaxed and positive atmosphere around the office -Essentially unlimited PTO, even for new hires + a respect of work/life balance and a good healthcare plan -Locally based management has our backs -Beer Fridays, free weekly massages, free breakfasts/lunches a couple times a month, happy hours and team/company outings are fun -In the rollercoaster world of automotive, good job... security

Cons

-When in doubt, the mantra seems to just give the increased work/responsibility to the Digital Strategists and let us handle it and figure it out -Over a year ago, Cox combined two completely different salaried positions to form the Digital Strategist role, which increased our workload and responsibility dramatically and yet there wasn't any financial reward for the added work and responsibility. And no one would... admit it openly to management, but it's absolutely led to a decrease in the quality of work that we are able to do for our clients on both the website and advertising side. -Like I mentioned above, local management is very supportive but they are sucked into so many meetings and calls that they don't have any time to really manage or help with career development. -Dealers often make for very difficult clients with unrealistic expectations. -As Cox has slowly but surely taken over how the job and company is run, it's become more and more about 'checking boxes' and completing 'initiatives' so they can report out how "successful" they are, and less about actual good ideas and strategies to help our clients out. -Nowhere near as many career opportunities in the Dallas office compared to Atlanta or Burlington.

Advice to Management

If we are going to get more and more work and responsibility piled on our plates, it would be great if compensation kept remotely up with that because as of right now, it's laughable. So much is asked of us and most of us are willing to go above and beyond because we work with and for good folks. But at some point, there will be a breaking point and you're going to lose a lot of good people.

Dealer.com2019-01-30

"Original owners have bowed out!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Did you know that CoxAutomotive is actually Dealer.com? And that Dealer.com located on Pine Street in Burlington, VT is a subsidiary company to Cox?

Cons

It's not the same company it used to be and it won't ever be again. It was a community and culture that valued honesty and loyalty but now it's a company with employees that are only out to save themselves, even if that's at the cost of your honor or a "friend". Mark Bonfigli knew how to run a company, he created a culture based on passion, not just for good products and profit gains but because he cared about... his employees, he knew without them he was nothing and in return, he said that and valued us. He had a commitment to the greater good and he spread the wealth he made back into the company and our communities. How many times have you cheered on the Dragon Boat without thinking about the cost put into the organization behind the event? How about Little Fenway, or Mardi Gras, or hosting ArtHop?! All of that is gone now along with any, career opportunities, fairness, or equality that Dealer.com had. The people running the company now have no ties to Vermont or the employees that live here. Pine Street is seen as a head count and an expense - it will only be a matter of time before the building will be sold and people will be looking for jobs.

Advice to Management

Stand behind what you say you're going to do and who you pretend to be!

Dealer.com2018-03-16

"Destroyed a winning team"

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time

Pros

Nothing! everything at Cox Automotive was fine before dealer.com and dealertrack. What a terrible aquasition. They are a cancer to the cox core values of people first!

Cons

Ruined a winning team laid off real advertising people that knew how to work with industry tools and best practices to have bonuses and parties in Burlington vt. Now they wonder why they can’t get anything done correctly. They only care about their local people. If you are not in Burlington it’s not worth working for them.

Advice to Management

Stop looking down on people not in your home area they may actually know more then you. Embrace change and the fact that you need help and different ideas. Also drop your terrible platform it doesn’t work!

Dealer.com2017-10-21
  8. "Great place to be an engineer, great pto and work/life balance, medical insurance is OK."

Current Employee - Java Developer

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong compensation for the Burlington area. Generous PTO policy (starting at 24 flex days in 2017 for new employees). Work-life balance is great for most engineers, and management is typically relatable. Occasional work from home is typically possible. Great job perks, company events, outings. Great company culture.

Cons

Medical insurance through parent company doesn't have many providers in VT. It's a big company, with lots of typical corporate overhead.

Dealer.com2017-09-01

"It used to be cooler"

Current Employee - Sales in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

For folks in Burlington, it's a solid place to land a job. Good pay, perks and people. Lots of bright and talented individuals that make great friends in and out of the office. Open work stations and environment. If you like tennis, there's a full court that is always open. Free parking too!

Cons

It used to 'be cool' to work at DDC, until they painted over those exact wors with some new corporate slogan. Lots of good people recently cut that helped build the company and the culture it was founded on. After two acquisitions, we were all placed in a sandbox together with some of our direct competitors and told to play nicely. It's been an interesting integration process to say the least!

Advice to Management

Bring back some real excitement and motivation to the company! Mark Bonfigli (original CEO) and Dean Evans (CMO) used to bring the energy to a company meeting, we'd make the walls shake but that left with their departure. It's like we were all blowing up a HUGE team balloon but then management lost hold of it and it quietly deflated as founders departed and we were left to deal with the after-party comedown.... Management needs to step up and take over and get everyone to blow up that same team balloon in a concerted effort again.

Dealer.com2017-08-28

"QA Analyst"

I worked at Dealer.com

Pros

Some good people, onsite gym, cafeteria, solid PTO, nice campus but not conducive to good work, nice area of Burlington to work in.

Cons

Laughable healthcare, severe frat boy mentality, a lot of bloat, a lot of incompetence especially in middle management such as director level. Employees aren't treated well any longer and are more like machines now.

Advice to Management

Listen to people. Cut the frat house. Don't be afraid to mature.

Dealer.com2017-07-12