Dealer.com "burlington" Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 7, 2019

3.8
Dealer.com General Manager Wayne Pastore
Wayne Pastore

"I'd never recommend Dealer Dot Com to a friend"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only pro to working at DDC is the health care package. It's very good. Yes, you'll hear about fitness, a gym, and so on, but if you're an engineer, you won't have much of a chance to use these facilities as you will be working day and night and most of the weekend.

Cons

The pay is not good. The demographics are definitely skewed to white and young. Once you begin to age, they pretty much shove you out the door, not because of performance, but because they have a fetish for young people. Advancement has everything to do with falling into the founders' clique, which is a pretty ugly click to fall into. Imagine a frat-boy atmosphere of sophomore-ish old men with no family lives and chicks on their mind. To get a management position, its best to party with these guys, stoop down to their level, drink a lot, ignore your family if you have one, and be a general cad of a useless bag of skin. Management uses "performance enhancement plans" to drum people out. Once they've marked you (for being older, caring about your family more than DDC, or having a life), you will be put on a path of constant pressure and engineered "failure," until such a time as you either quit or they show you the door. Beneath the illusion of caring for employees, there is a parasitic class of hanger-ons that are friends with the "Chief Earthling" (yeah, that's his title). They are his party-entourage. They get their jobs through friendship with the Chief Earthling for silly jobs in the "Life Department." The Life Department exists not for the benefit of the employees, but really in order to give jobs to the Chief Earthlings cronies. There is an overpriced organic cafe that serves the food that the Chief Earthling wants to eat. Those within his special entourage often eat free while those that actually produce do not. Since I've left DDC, I've met many people in the Burlington area that have nothing positive to say about DDC, only negative experiences and/or stories they've heard. The company has a reputation as a "cult." Perhaps "cult" is too strong of a word, but it surely resembles one in may ways.

Advice to Management

My advice to the new company that took over Dealer.com is to fire the entire company's leadership, from the founders and Chief Earthling all the way down to the lowest level of management. Get rid of the Life Department. Scrap the organic cafe and feed the employees food they want to eat. Most of all, investigate your new property for age discrimination. I suspect you will find evidence.

Dealer.com2014-06-23

"Excellent offer turns in to 5 month nightmare"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director

I worked at Dealer.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cafe is amazing, very nice facility in Burlington. You will meet some great people.

Cons

They lured me away from a 10 billion dollar company with an amazing offer back in Oct 2011. I was brought on to sell their new CRM that still seems to be in development. They give you a two week ORIENTATION and no job specific training. They want their employees to be in the dark. The senior management commented "if you need training you're the wrong person for the job". After two months everything about that amazing offer changed, still no training, charging me back for accounts they lost that I wasn't even involved in or paid for. After laying out the new pay plan the VP responsible left the country for two weeks. When I pressed them on training me and my concerns about the pay plan I was threatened and was told to shut my mouth. When I finally resigned after five months they ended up suing me for a non compete. They didnt live up to any part of my offer yet I am to be bound by a non compete? They hired me from a competitor and had no issue with that. On top of that while they are suing me for going to work elsewhere they hired a coworker directly from my new employer. They cost me and my new employer tens of thousands of dollars. Thats all behind us now and its time to collect.

Advice to Management

Your success has changed everything about you that got you to the position you are in today. The floodgates have opened on your employees and your customers.

Dealer.com2013-04-23
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Career Suicide"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director

I worked at Dealer.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great products, some of the best. - Some very great people as coworkers. - Some departments seem to have great stability and longevity. - Both Burlington and Manhattan Beach offices are amazing.

Cons

- Sales org is a sea of storm waves. - Sales org leadership is lacking at best. - Little to no proper customer service. - Constant flux and changes to comp plans, 4 different plans in 9 months. - Constant flux and changes to structure within the Sales & Customer Service organizations.

Advice to Management

Please wake up. You've been such an amazing company, until the last two years. You have lost some of your best players, hired others and lost those too, er, have pushed them away. Your sales reps should not have to be on the golf club to have and/or keep a career at Dealer. Most importantly, all of this flux just hurts the customers.

Dealer.com2013-04-22
  5. "Incredible"

Former Contractor - Contract Corporate Recruiter in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com for less than a year

Pros

Dealer.com is a place where you can be yourself and experience what a true work -life balance is all about. It's fast paced yet efficient. The leaders have a great foresight into what the next phase is and how to prepare for it. Emphasis on health, exercise, competition and collaboration. Work hard - play hard for sure.

Cons

As with most growing companies there is crowding and career advancement issues as they work to find and retain better talent. Not big on relocating people up to Burlington so you either have to be from there or have reason to be. Better like the cold too.

Advice to Management

Develop internal growth opportunities for employees who are in Technical services roles. Other than that - you're doing great.

Dealer.com2013-02-25