Dealer.com "dealer" Reviews | Glassdoor

Dealer.com Employee Reviews about "dealer"

Updated Jan 29, 2019

3.7
Dealer.com CEO Wayne Pastore
Wayne Pastore
Pros
Cons
  • "Compensation could be better, Dealer really takes advantage of the fact that they are one of the only games in town(in 15 reviews)

• "It used to 'be cool' to work at DDC, until they painted over those exact wors with some new corporate slogan(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "dealer"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time

Pros

-- Supportive managers (for the most part) -- Fun environment. -- You will probably make some of your best friends working here. -- GREAT perks.

Cons

-- It's a lot of work and dealers can be mean. -- If you have thick skin, you're good to go!

Dealer.com2016-12-06

"Would recommend to a friend, but with several caveats"

Current Employee - Digital Strategist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time

Pros

-Great and helpful co-workers -Relaxed and positive atmosphere around the office -Essentially unlimited PTO, even for new hires + a respect of work/life balance and a good healthcare plan -Locally based management has our backs -Beer Fridays, free weekly massages, free breakfasts/lunches a couple times a month, happy hours and team/company outings are fun -In the rollercoaster world of automotive, good job... security

Cons

-When in doubt, the mantra seems to just give the increased work/responsibility to the Digital Strategists and let us handle it and figure it out -Over a year ago, Cox combined two completely different salaried positions to form the Digital Strategist role, which increased our workload and responsibility dramatically and yet there wasn't any financial reward for the added work and responsibility. And no one would... admit it openly to management, but it's absolutely led to a decrease in the quality of work that we are able to do for our clients on both the website and advertising side. -Like I mentioned above, local management is very supportive but they are sucked into so many meetings and calls that they don't have any time to really manage or help with career development. -Dealers often make for very difficult clients with unrealistic expectations. -As Cox has slowly but surely taken over how the job and company is run, it's become more and more about 'checking boxes' and completing 'initiatives' so they can report out how "successful" they are, and less about actual good ideas and strategies to help our clients out. -Nowhere near as many career opportunities in the Dallas office compared to Atlanta or Burlington.

Advice to Management

If we are going to get more and more work and responsibility piled on our plates, it would be great if compensation kept remotely up with that because as of right now, it's laughable. So much is asked of us and most of us are willing to go above and beyond because we work with and for good folks. But at some point, there will be a breaking point and you're going to lose a lot of good people.

Dealer.com2019-01-30

"Hit or miss, but mostly miss"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dealer.com does great work in the community - from promoting local artists, locally sourcing food, and sponsoring community events, Dealer has been a great promoter of Vermont's economy & community. However, they just laid off the director of CSR, so who knows how long that will last.

Cons

As far as a place to work. Dealer.com is a fantastic fit for entry level bros who want to talk about cool cars, golf, and compare how entitled they are. For adult professionals who value working and living in the real world, this place is a garbage heap. Management does not value the hard work that people put in, or recognize those who go above and beyond. If you aren't prepared to drink the ddc koolaid and applaud... & cheer at company wide meetings where executives walk through the door to blasting rock "music" and yelling "CRUSHING IT," you won't advance here, period. Additionally, morale is just about completely depleted, and closing the cafe and skimping out on the few employee perks we had hasn't helped.

Advice to Management

Why bother? They won't listen unless you stroke their egos. Honesty is lost on this company, better to get out while there are still some jobs to be got in Burlington.

Dealer.com2017-08-27

"Good Company but not for Dallas"

Former Employee - Technical Lead in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dealer.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

i worked at the Dallas office for a few months. I really liked the high energy and technology driven culture of the company. Despite being a small company they do take their engineering very seriously. The teams are methodical and rigorous about their work. Technically I was very satisfied with the company. if you live in Vermont then this is a very good company to work for.

Cons

1. As soon as I joined, the Dallas office was split into two and half the workforce was sent to another company called Dealer Socket. 2. There were major layoffs and 60 people were asked to leave on the same day (in fact they were told about the decision and immediately asked to walk out). 3. Most engineering teams in Dallas just work as contractors for the teams in Vermont. They don't own engineering roadmap,... they just work as a out sourcing center. 4. The parent company COX has no serious growth plans for Dallas. They just talk, but on ground 0, nothing happens. Most teams are facing attrition and the company does not fill those positions. Some other things to note are 1. The insurance provided by the company is really expensive. My copay went through the roof and doctors and pharmacists complained about the expensive and poor coverage by the insurance.

Advice to Management

Have a grown plan for entire company and stop being territorial

Dealer.com2016-07-27

"Overworked and Underpaid; Cliques and Homelessness"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Young, hip culture...until you find out the truth. Check out the interview reviews. They test experienced people and then deem them unsuitable for roles that they are clearly overqualified for. That's because they look to hire a younger workforce. Younger...meaning they don't know any better and are easily fooled by perks. It doesn't cost them anything to have an onsite gym, and over priced cafe. And you're lulled... into thinking it's a great environment but really they're overworking you in the name of team spirit. Only someone under the age of 32 would buy into that. If you're over the age of 32, you''re probably catching on. Not sure how they allow "older" people in this company to stay on...oh they don't, they practice the art of making it an uncomfortable work environment, reducing your duties, keeping you in the dark, ostracizing you. It didn't happen to me but I have seen it happen to "friends."

Cons

Moved to Burlington to "save" my job. It's cold and overrun by homeless people. Unfriendly coworkers and locals. Low Pay. Expectations are to work 65+ hours a week for low salary. They hire young because the younger they are the more likely they'll work for less pay. Working at Dealer is like being in high school with it's cliques and peer pressure to conform. It is one sick sick sick culture.

Advice to Management

Thanks for the experience. You're going to see more people leaving because they're chocking on the cool-aid.

Dealer.com2016-05-19

"Dealer.com: Meh"

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time

Pros

Successful tech company that started from scratch; very intelligent, highly motivated team oriented employees; beer Fridays. Awesome pop culture/nerd culture references in many sectors of the business.

Cons

Only one of the five original founders remains. It's outgrown some of the energy with which it was once universally identified; it's part of an enormous corporation now, Cox Enterprises; the Dealertrack acquisition in 2014 rattled the company's identity to its core. Despite espousing "coolness", what with its rooftop mini golf, indoor tennis court, and legendary summer party, people here are profit-driven, and the... progressive values which seem to ooze from the place are quickly dashed when you realize how much executives, directors, and sales make and the kinds of things they spend their money on. There's some smoke and mirrors at Dealer. Overall, a good place to work, but, at the end of the day, another identity-less tech job in a never-ending sea of computers and wires.

Advice to Management

Remember who Dealer.com is.

Dealer.com2016-04-13

"3.5/5.0 is very accurate, but more so 4.0 in the past and 3.0 today IMO"

Former Employee - Digital Advisor in Burlington, VT

I worked at Dealer.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome benefits, open and tech savvy environment with fun young, coworkers. Gym, masseuse, chiropractor on site you name it. Organic cafes, beer fridays and community presence. If you are from VT you know DDC! Pay is on-par or higher end for BTV especially if you've been around a few years, may not be if you've just started but they do promote rather quickly. Business is booming, which means job security. Very... little micro-management or evaluation of KPI oddly enough while I was there, a good and a bad. Definitely the best middle-management I've worked with by far. Most coworkers crush it, we play sports together and they get the job done. Many still go above and beyond for you, and then you have a drink with them after. They treat people well and treat people like they should. Overall a fun environment!

Cons

Where do I even begin? It's always been very chaotic and the work load insane however in more of it's startup days before the buy out everything was possible as long as you had a good idea or reasoning behind it. Employees had the freedom to excel and were incentivized for their hard work including quarterly and annual bonuses. Not so much anymore. Granted that it's no longer a 600 people company when I first... started, it's actually 1200 internally at DDC and more like 55000 with Cox Enterprises. Although visually it looks the same, the term people are afraid to acknowledge is "corporate" as DDC got bought out not once but twice recently, it's become increasingly so in its work function. There's become more "no"s than "yes". And it's when corporate policy or politics gets involved, hindering talented individuals from moving up, or doing a stellar job and being recognized, where good talents goes away. Not to mention burn out. We always had a high churn rate, but everyone moved on up internally, a win for DDC. Although DDC is still booming, we are starting to see more churn externally. The scalability is also a word of caution as the digital marketing business is booming, and there is money in auto. Just check out NADA. However car dealers are not the most rational or pleasant to work with and have unrealistic expectations. Without being able to manage the chaos, we may lose some big clients including OEMs. Clients see Cox as a all-in-one solution, which it really isn't, at least not this point in time, integration with other sister companies and new product development has always been slow for clients and everyone in software operates independently.

Advice to Management

Hire the best talent, you do have that option still, pay them well, train them well and let them crush it. Fix products first before rolling out others and work on a true full integration of cox auto products.

Dealer.com2016-04-07

"Great Company so far!"

Current Employee - Digital Campaign Specialist in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been here for only a few weeks but I am very excited to start my journey at Dealer. The atmosphere is awesome, there is no micromanagement, and a lot of trust is put into the employees.

Cons

So far, not a ton. Overtime was sold as "optional", but really it's required. The end of the month can get a little boring when there isn't as much to do.

Dealer.com2016-03-28

"Good Software Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Dealer.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

[Disclaimer: I have a job in "Engineering". I can't speak for life in other parts of the organization.] There are great opportunities and great people at DDC. It's a great place to land for a few years.

Cons

Compensation could be better, Dealer really takes advantage of the fact that they are one of the only games in town. The recruiting process was clumsy and nearly resulted in me passing on the offer and then leaving the company after discovering that the job wasn't what I was looking for.

Advice to Management

Pay your people! I love my job, the people that I work with, and the company that I work for, but I always keep my eyes peeled for new opportunities as I know I could make 50% more if I moved out of town. Cost of living in BTV isn't low compared to many places that pay better.

Dealer.com2016-03-22
  10. "Great perks and people, tough workload"

Former Employee - Senior SEO Analyst

I worked at Dealer.com full-time

Pros

Great group of people, plenty of benefits and on sight employee programs such as gym, massage therapy, chiropractor and organic cafe.

Cons

Workload is insane! there are many young people at dealer who are dealing with health conditions due to stress and having too much work on their plate. The company offers a lot of benefits though it is hard to take advantage of even half of them due to the workload. The perks also do not out weigh the stress in the end.

Advice to Management

The company is in existence for profit which is understandable. I just think more effort should be applied in ensuring workers are not being responsible for workloads 1.5+ times what they should be.

Dealer.com2016-03-20