DealerRater Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
DealerRater Chief Executive Officer Gary Tucker
Gary Tucker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Competitive salary, excellent work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at DealerRater full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience, great working environment

Cons

nothing really well these are five words

2. "Great company to work at"

I have been working at DealerRater full-time

Pros

Dealerrater is a great company to work at. Most of the employees are nice and friendly. Management has no complains with the flexible schedule of their employees as long as the work is completed in time. The company provides lunch to employees each Monday and hosts happy hour once or twice a month. The company also has a matching 401K plan up to certain %. The office is located by the side of Charles river and there is a river walk.

Cons

I do not see much downsides of the company so far. With some of the management activities shifted to the HQ Chicago, some of the process might not be as smooth as it used to be.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I hope the acquisition of the Dealerrater by Cars.com does not undermine the core values of the Dealerrater and its employees.

3. "Its an awesome place. I love my job."

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Waltham, MA

I have been working at DealerRater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came here as contractor then became full time. They offered generous salary while taking me as full time employee. I don't need to negotiate. Salary is based on market and experience. As part of highly advanced and intelligent people in dev team..i enjoy my job. I always get to learn something new which is exciting. Managers are generous and flexible. I never felt hungry at office.. :-) Because there is a snack rack in the kitchen stocked up with healthy snacks. There is free GYM. There is river side walk behind the building with spectacular view where i always go for a walk when outside temperatures are good . Its a great place to learn and enjoy your work.

Cons

Only concern is..building is cold. Might be because of high ceilings!!

Apr 13, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

I love your tag line and agree that this is an awesome place and love my job! I appreciate you sharing your feedback on your experience transitioning from contractor to full time team member. We... More

4. "From a Dev Perspective"

Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at DealerRater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The VP of Technology is among the best supervisors I've ever had. His door is (actually) almost always open to talk about things. Suggestions for improvement are heard and often given the green light if you can back up your suggestions with a plan or proof.

There's a solid hiring process to make sure we have great people on our team.

Agile development process. Sprint retrospectives (2 weeks). Regular planning and estimation meetings (so you're not stuck in a single massive meeting every week or two)

Bonus structure for devs is good.

Passes all but 2 (#8 and #12) of the "Joel On Software Test" questions.

The personalities on the dev and product development teams are great, it's a wonderfully positive working environment.

Weekly "town hall" style meetings let everyone know how we're doing and where things are headed.

The Waltham area offers plenty of options for lunch/dining. This includes Moody or Main Street. If you're like myself, and you like stepping out of the office for lunch.

Cons

You accept certain cons as a dev when you join a small company. One of them is the lack of vertical advancement. Fortunately that's offset by the ability to expand your skill set with other newer technologies.

The dev area is located right next to the kitchen (speaking of Joel question #8 above).

Advice to Management

The goal/milestone structure you have in place works great. It lets me know that management is actively thinking about how to improve things internally as well as for my own personal growth. Don't be skimpy with vacation (commensurate with experience level). Offer equity to development staff.

Apr 6, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your experience here at DealerRater. It's great to hear your stellar recommendation for our VP of IT. We are very lucky to have him here on... More

5. "DXT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at DealerRater full-time

Pros

Innovative Growing Company
    Talented People
    Advanced Technology
    Great Benefits and 401K

Cons

I have not experienced any Cons ;)

Advice to Management

Change means Growth

Mar 25, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback on Glassdoor. The DXT team is going through a lot of exciting changes right now and I'm glad to hear that you are having a positive experience.... More

"Updated situation at DealerRater"

I have been working at DealerRater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to develop inside sales skills, ongoing training opportunities, desire on the part of management to improve and maintain a welcoming, professional work environment. Some terrific benefits; 4% match and immediate vesting in 401K plan. This company tries to get better every day.

Cons

Base salary and quota-based additional compensation below par (though recently improved). Sales has a limited career arc though several changes over the past year (team leads, creation of "senior RAM" position) offer more options than before.

Advice to Management

Accelerate the pace of improving overall compensation. Continue the "professionalization" of key positions within the company (as has been happening over the past year).

Feb 5, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for the feedback on many of the changes that have taken place recently here at DealerRater. As you mentioned, we did recently increase our base compensation for sales roles. We will... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Pros

I've been at DealerRater for 3 months now and really enjoy working here. I think it really comes down to the leadership team and our office culture, in addition to liking what I do and knowing there are opportunities for growth.

- Amazing leadership team: Our leadership team works great together and are always in the office to answer questions. I feel comfortable asking any director, VP, or our CEO any job related questions or just about how their weekend went. They truly make the office a great place to work.
    - Office culture: Weekly catered lunches on Monday's, monthly happy hours, stocked snack rack and fresh fruit, and great events such as our holiday party in Boston or our 2016 kickoff meeting (we went to F1 racing last Friday!) Everyone here is friendly and great to work with. I can't wait for more Fitbit office challenges and for a kickball league in the spring.

Cons

I have no complains and have really enjoyed working here so far!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

Jan 26, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for the wonderful review and feedback! It's just as important to hear feedback on the things people are enjoying so we know what to continue as it is the for improvement feedback. We... More

"Regional Account Manager"

I have been working at DealerRater full-time

Pros

Not many. Good Benefits that start from day one.

Cons

Very poor training. In addition sales team leads are not from any management background. Offer always state 8:30 to 5. Not possible when the entire country is ran from one location, time zone changes make that not possible. In addition, if you enter in more than 40 hours it is considered a violation that can lead to termination.

Advice to Management

Put team leads in to management courses. In addition inform people of their territory prior to hiring so that they can understand what hours they really will be working.

Nov 23, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are currently investing and dedicating many resources to training and development, particularly with supervisory level roles which includes... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at DealerRater full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, training and leading product in exciting space, company is very transparent and fast moving. Excellent place to make an impact and become a big fish in a small pond in month one.

Cons

Tolerated underperforming employees in different roles and departments. It is hard for entry level employees to see a realistic path to growth.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and allow the open door policies and open communication glow.

Sep 23, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at DealerRater! We have made some recent leadership changes and are eager to focus on putting more formal learning and development programs in... More

"This place is a joke"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at DealerRater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The building is nice and there's access to a gym in the basement. They have catered lunch once a week and snacks. They also have a really great product.

Cons

Everyone knows that the management there is a joke. They never stepped up to the plate or defended the employees when issues occurred. They would promise promotions but there was no room for growth. Working hard and being qualified doesn't get you a promotion. You needed to go out and get drunk with the executives.

The pay is terribly low and the Christmas bonus isn't worth sticking around for. They're cheap. They would rather spend money on trying to make the company look cool than give you a decent raise for your hard work. The employees would much rather have that extra money in their bank accounts.

Advice to Management

People deserve better pay and benefits than what they're willing to offer. They lost more than 20 employees in the past year. They didn't let them go, they all found better opportunities with career growth. That's a big number for a company Their size.

Also, for a company that brags about having legitimate dealer reviews, it's sad to hear that they're paying for positive GlassDoor reviews.

Sep 25, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and comments on your experience at DealerRater. I agree we have a great product and based on your comments it's apparent you did not have the... More