DealerRater Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
DealerRater Chief Executive Officer Gary Tucker
Gary Tucker

"Bad, Unprofessional Management, Favoritism, & Poor Pay"

Former Employee - Customer Support in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Waltham, MA

I worked at DealerRater full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun color scheme of walls in the office, friendly co-workers who are knowledgeable and helpful.

Cons

Poor Management who creates a hostile work environment with favoritism and poor management skills. Overworked and underpaid, and do not promote from within. Only those who brown nose are considered for promotions and are rewarded with weekly drinking binges with senior level management.

Advice to Management

Take a few courses on management, specifically how- to manage a department, and how to maintain a healthy work environment. Learn how to be professional, and base rewards and promotions on work and not how often an employee gets drunk with senior level management. While favoritism is expected in most work environments the extent it is here is completely unprofessional and borderline inappropriate. This is extremely uncomfortable to work with and is unfair to other hard working employees who get completely overlooked for opportunities for growth. The higher level management (CEO, VP, etc) need to become more involved with the management structure of the company, and would strongly recommend replacing some management at this time.

"Where is the price integrity?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I have been working at DealerRater full-time

Pros

The product we offer is helpful for the client.

Cons

They act like they are doing promotions when really they discount the product on a regular basis which makes the product lose value. It is pretty much a free for all on pricing. You are made to reach out to the same dealerships in your territory with the same product over and over until you are basically giving away the product. In the end you barely make a commission because you are discounting the product so much and forget having a life, you spend about 10-13 hours a day on the phone or prospecting just to make sure you don't get reprimanded on a daily basis. The sales team is pressured daily with condescending attitudes. The territories are spread way too thin and not organized properly or fairly; management does not consider your market areas and will expect you make as much as someone with a more populated area. You're set up to fail. There is no positive motivation and forget about pep talks all communications with management is negative and the tear you down. They fake company recognition by giving away small prizes but should really be focusing on better base pay and positive management that have a solid background in running a sales team.

Advice to Management

My advice is to 1. Regain price integrity and show the client that your product is worth full price. 2. Make an anonymous suggestion box only for Chip to read so he can really see where the issues are in the company and what needs to be fixed; without fear or retaliation. and 3. Stop posting fake positive reviews as soon as someone post a negative review; as a review company you know that it looks pathetic and is clear it is a fake review. If employees were treated better they would write real positive reviews. Please stop with the forced fake reviews and take time to read the issues in the negative reviews and make the necessary changes.

"Fake positive reviews from a company with poor management"

Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at DealerRater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the staff are talented and most have great attitudes and a true willingness to be team players

Cons

Company was started by a programmer. He hired his friends and family into positions they were so poorly qualified for that they constantly foiled the staff's projects. They had one manager that was outwardly hitting on the staff and racist comments in small management meetings I was sadly privy to. I've heard they've brought in a qualified CEO since but the staff I'm still in touch with confirm the problem management is still around and still being unprofessional and an impediment to quality of the product and of life for the employees.

Like I mentioned above, I was privy to management level meetings. I was in the meeting where they decided to write fake reviews on this site because of the exodus of staff at the time and their bad reviews popping up.

They pay well but you're wasting your time thinking it's anything but a stepping stone gig.

Sep 23, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your experience at DealerRater. Our company has transitioned to a more corporate structure recently to help support our growth. There have ... More

"This place is a joke"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at DealerRater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The building is nice and there's access to a gym in the basement. They have catered lunch once a week and snacks. They also have a really great product.

Cons

Everyone knows that the management there is a joke. They never stepped up to the plate or defended the employees when issues occurred. They would promise promotions but there was no room for growth. Working hard and being qualified doesn't get you a promotion. You needed to go out and get drunk with the executives.

The pay is terribly low and the Christmas bonus isn't worth sticking around for. They're cheap. They would rather spend money on trying to make the company look cool than give you a decent raise for your hard work. The employees would much rather have that extra money in their bank accounts.

Advice to Management

People deserve better pay and benefits than what they're willing to offer. They lost more than 20 employees in the past year. They didn't let them go, they all found better opportunities with career growth. That's a big number for a company Their size.

Also, for a company that brags about having legitimate dealer reviews, it's sad to hear that they're paying for positive GlassDoor reviews.

Sep 25, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and comments on your experience at DealerRater. I agree we have a great product and based on your comments it's apparent you did not have the ... More

"No REAL growth"

I worked at DealerRater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was free lunch once a week, a pretty entertaining weekly meeting and was based out of a beautiful historic building.

Great job for new grads who want their 1 year of office experience.

Cons

When I first started it was advertised to be a fun start up-like company with many opportunities for career and professional growth. After a few months it was realized that the promised growth and opportunity was reserved for those that brown nosed executives, whined about low salaries and participated in non-company sponsored "outings".

This company is the epitome of the saying "squeaky wheel gets the grease" (as long as the clique that resides there accepts you).

Salaries are far below the market of tech companies in the Boston/Waltham metro areas.

Career paths are not clear.

Advice to Management

The board, CEO and founder need to look deeply and examine the morals, ethics and practices of executives in their own organization.

Sep 25, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback on your experience at DealerRater. In my first few weeks here I am going to review many things including your suggestions for more growth opportunities, defined career ... More

"Fake glass door reviews"

Former Employee - Regional Account Manager Inside Sales in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Regional Account Manager Inside Sales in Waltham, MA

I worked at DealerRater full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

honestly-nothing. This place only cares about their upper management and executive team and could care less about the people who actually do the hard work.

Cons

-management
    -pay
    -benefits
    -co-workers
    -program
    -gym
    -dishonest employees who leave FAKE positive reviews on this site to distract viewers from seeing the REAL issues at hand in the REAL reviews

Advice to Management

open your eyes to what you are doing to your current and past employees. you are only harming your reputation by further LYING and covering up the real issues at hand by paying off current employees to leave positive reviews on this website.

Sep 25, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

I think it's important for employees to have an opportunity to voice their frustrations and opinions in order to have a truly engaged organization. Feedback needs to flow in all directions to have a ... More

"Poor Management of Sales People & Territory's Assigned"

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at DealerRater full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Product helps client. Good people work here. Catered lunch on Mondays. Great benefits.
    Office is very retro. Co workers are friendly, always willing to help out.

Cons

Low base along with mismanaged territory assignment sets you up to fail. When a person leaves the company, rather than reassign the territory, it is left orphaned.
    Micro-management for number of calls vs. quality. Constant lowering price on product devalues the offering. There is no work / Life balance here. You will be asked to work Saturdays.

Advice to Management

Chip - Look into the sales department and how the territory's has been assigned and distributed. There are many Orphaned states no one can actively work. Most importantly raise the base before more people leave the company.

"Come work for DealerRater if you want no work life balance!"

Former Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA

I worked at DealerRater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros – Free on-site gym membership, catered lunches on Monday & benefits from day one.

Cons

Come work for DealerRater! We are hiring anything with a pulse and telemarketing experience for our Sales team. We don’t mind if you don’t have automotive industry experience, or related online advertising/digital marketing experience, we will train you!

Although our training is mundane and outdated, and performed by a manager who has never sold the product, we will train you to sell our online reputation product.

For our Client Services and Customer Service teams, if you brown nose certain managers and go out for weekly drinks, you will surely receive a promotion within months of being hired!

We are inconsistent in our policies and pricing, and if you make 40+ calls per day you will be a super star regardless if you hit quota! Forget about prospecting your territory before calling into clients, its more important to make large quantities of calls versus quality calls according to our metrics plan.

We've designed our compensation plan to include an unrealistic quota, below industry average base salary plus monthly commissions.

This is not your everyday sales job; you will be expected to work more than 50 hours per week, put in the time on nights and weekends, even holidays. If you enjoy being micromanaged extensively, this is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Pay attention when employee's both tenured and new provide insight into the actions of certain upper level managers. From an employee perspective, it seems you are turning a blind eye and don't value your employees opinions when they bring up their concerns.

"No growth and poor pay"

I worked at DealerRater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Monday catered lunches.
    Snack rack.
    Feeling welcomed when you start.
    Weekly company meetings where you are in the loop with ongoings in the company.
    Great coworkers.
    Riverside building with close access to Moody St.
    Summer outing with happy hours.

Cons

I learned a lot and figured out what I wanted to do with my professional career while here. I did feel that i had little room for growth while working at the company though. This is a great company for someone fresh out of school or looking for a fresh career start. You definitely get the training and experience to move on to bigger and better roles, but not within the company. For a small company, there is no planning or projection for growth. DealerRater got me into the position pitching that they are a growing company and there is so much room for growth but there really isnt. People come in and stay stagnent in their role for year(s). Training for new people are great. When I started here there was really no training or introductions to the company and all the departments.

Personally, I feel that the office employees are overworked and could use more support and employees in certain departments. I also feel that the companies' focus isn't on the employees and thier happiness in the workplace. Happy employees remain productive and effective when they feel valued and I dont feel Very valued here. There is a huge downfall in employee morale with nothing really being done to fix this. There has been a lot of changes within the company; some great and some not so great but that is expected.
    There is also the question of pay; i feel that salary is important to any individual but I do feel underpaid for the work i do..

The culture is full of recent college grads and young professionals coming into entry level positions then the executive team which includes Directors and VP's; there really isnt an in between from those two groupings therefore no real room for growth. You work your job until you feel you have fully grown into the position then start looking for the next step of your growing career.

The company recently created values but they arent really used.

Advice to Management

Focus on the employees. They are what makes the company successful. Set up growth projections for employees to show where they could be within a year as well as what opportunities are available with the performance.
    Make it a fun place to work.

Sep 23, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! As I just wrote in my last response above, we have made some recent changes to put a greater emphasis on many of the areas you noted are lacking currently at ... More

"Regional Account Manager"

I have been working at DealerRater full-time

Pros

Not many. Good Benefits that start from day one.

Cons

Very poor training. In addition sales team leads are not from any management background. Offer always state 8:30 to 5. Not possible when the entire country is ran from one location, time zone changes make that not possible. In addition, if you enter in more than 40 hours it is considered a violation that can lead to termination.

Advice to Management

Put team leads in to management courses. In addition inform people of their territory prior to hiring so that they can understand what hours they really will be working.

Nov 23, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are currently investing and dedicating many resources to training and development, particularly with supervisory level roles which includes ... More