DealerSocket Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Jonathan Ord

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Health insurance cost is too high and no 401k match (in 20 reviews)

• They should consider a 401k match (in 29 reviews)

"Day-to-day is enjoyable, long-term is unclear"

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The day-in and day-out work is enjoyable. You learn a lot and I love the people I work with.

Cons

Morale is a bit low. Growth is unclear in the company.

Advice to Management

The bonus structures need to be reconsidered thoroughly. There needs to be a clearer outline as it pertains to growth in the company. The benefits programs have been lacking for a long time.

"Could be better"

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time

Pros

People around you are great.

Cons

Underpaid comparative to market values

Advice to Management

Get a sense of direction.

"Direction? Benefits? Misleading Compensation?"

I worked at DealerSocket full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Truly phenomenal people work here. Really thought my Sales Director was an amazing leader and did what he could to help me succeed. Always there when I needed him.

Excellent training. Though it is in Cali and Utah it was excellent.

Cons

Leadership is completely disconnected from the virtual team.

The direction of the company is as ambiguous as it can get. Really poor integration of acquisitions has led to instability and a revolving door of employees.

Benefits aren't even tier 2. They are the worst benefits I've had the option of getting in over 20 years. So bad that my wife, for the first time in our marriage, was forced to carry benefits for our family. No 401k match at all. How can you expect to keep anyone outside of CRM with lower class benefits and no match? You can't, thus the revolving door.

They literally lied to me and others about expected compensation. Granted, the person who did this is no longer at the company but gave false quota information and was off by more than 40% for the average compensation for the position hired for. Is that ok? Is that fair to professionals you are bringing in?

Advice to Management

Involve your virtual people. Get some benefits that make people want to stay. You can attract talent but can't keep it. Get a handle on what your hiring directors say to falsely entrap people to work there.

"A mostly wonderful experience!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Clemente, CA

I worked at DealerSocket full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with! The team I was involved with were top notch professionals and we were able to accomplish great things. I felt appreciated and respected. There are some very quality people at DS.

Cons

As many have mentioned, the benefits aren't great and the salaries are under-market. If not for that, I would still be there. Additionally, at times, communication has been lacking.

Advice to Management

Invest in your good people! It pays manifold returns to pay your people what they are worth. Strive for transparency and open communication. Your people want to know what's going on and when trusted with the details, will work harder to achieve the desired goals.

5. "A company culture that was once great and became stifled by an equity partner."

I worked at DealerSocket full-time

Pros

The CRM is one of the best in the automotive industry

Cons

It was difficult to grow and advance within the company.

"You are expendable"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Draper, UT

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time

Pros

The people you work with in your department are awesome! Upper management is where you start to see friction.

Cons

You will be treated as expendable garbage. I have been at dealersocket for several years and it's time for me to leave finally. I have only stayed this long because of the great coworkers I've had. You will be told time and time again that "you work for DealerSocket, not the customer!" meaning gauge and squeeze customers as much as you can to get every penny out of them regardless of how much it hurts the relationship or how little sense it makes at the time. There is rampant favoritism that goes on with management and you will not get anywhere based on how well you perform, you will have to brown nose and buddy up with upper management if you'd like to get anywhere which has lead to managers being put in positions they shouldn't be and having them lead with no experience and eventually become hated by virtually everybody they manage. There are a few great directors but the majority of upper management are tools who got where they are by getting buddy buddy with their managers. Leadership style is chaos and there is no uniformity anywhere from work flow to bonus structure. You will be paid less than someone with less experience than you much of the time, and you may out perform others and receive less compensation. You will be told constantly that there is no wiggle room anywhere and constructive criticism isn't even possible because management tells employees all the time that they can just leave if they don't like it.....and they do.....all the time. DealerSocket is bleeding employees like crazy, and they're employees who have been there for years because they see what's going on and they're sick of it. Most of the current employees you'll see have been here for a year or less. They're also bleeding customers because of poor implementation of software tools that don't work as promised (blackbird).

Advice to Management

Treat you employees like gold and they will in turn treat your customers like gold leading to higher retention and greater revenue.

"Unstable company with little room for advancement"

Current Employee - Data in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Data in Provo, UT

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DealerSocket still gives off the "small company" vibe in many ways. There are a lot of seemingly basic needs that have not been addressed, leaving room for ambitious individuals to make a name for themselves and help shape the way the organization operates in larger ways than you might think for an employer of over 1000 individuals. Primarily for this reason DealerSocket, in my opinion, shows a great deal of potential to be a great employer and company. They also tend to hire employees with little to no experience and provide informal on-the-job training which can be great for a quit skill boost on your resume. Probably the largest perk is the flexibility offered, at least in some positions, for working remotely or getting short-notice time off without much push-back from management. Most of the employees I dealt with were intelligent, kind, and great to work with. The only thing I'll truly miss from DealerSocket is the relationships I built with my team, and with other teams that we interacted with.

Cons

Management (of every level) and their lack of ability to communicate is the primary source for numerous glaring problems here. Poor benefits, unpredictable and heavy workload, poor management, lack of respect and opportunities are pretty much a summary of the main issues.

Benefits are extremely lacking across the board. The health insurance is extremely poor and expensive, salaries are low and seem almost randomly assigned (they do not reflect individual abilities or skills, whether demonstrated or implied, or even job descriptions.) Multiple other organizations were offering over 25% more pay for someone with a nearly identical job description. I was offered a bonus program when I started with the organization, and after holding me back from participating for nearly 6 months the entire structure of the program was changed in such a way that the bonus value was cut in half, and frequency changed from quarterly to annual while simultaneously increasing the amount of restrictions to earning it significantly. In the end, I never received a bonus and had no faith that I would receive one even if I remained for another full year to be eligible. Annual pay increases were delayed for the year, and in the end my team received a flat 2% increase across the board, with the exception of a couple employees who received no increase. There are teams of individuals on a higher salary band than more skilled teams who support their technical problems; there are employees who make significantly more money than their more skilled/experienced colleagues/superiors; some management who essentially do not serve any job function and spend their time having personal conversations and distracting productive employees who make significantly more money than others at the same level. There are virtually no opportunities for advancement within the company; about the only respected metric at DealerSocket is your tenure and even with that I see few opportunities for change.

Aside from the poor benefits offered, the workload fluctuates wildly and management seems to have no understanding of what is happening in day to day operations. There are employees and teams who spend most of their time watching online videos and reading Reddit, while others are working large amounts of overtime and are unable to keep pace with work expectations. More skilled/experienced employees are overloaded with work to compensate for poor employees. Management is massively short sighted and launches large-scale changes on whims with little to no preparation. Although the company is quite flexible in providing opportunities for time off, they tend not to provide any means to cover your workload which translates to time off becoming a stressful experience in which you come back to work behind and in a desperate situation.

Management attempts to give inspiring speeches to the company or various departments/teams, but routinely demonstrate a lack of understanding for the problems facing ground level employees. The CEO is in desperate need of a publicist to review his presentations which leave many lower level employees feeling alienated and unappreciated.

I wish I could communicate more thoroughly all of the problems here, but unfortunately I've found virtually all of my interactions with this organization to be negative.

Advice to Management

I honestly believe that the majority of management needs to be entirely reevaluated and possibly re-hired; there is far too much finger pointing from department to department and team to team, and too many attempts by management to solve problems themselves without considering the input or concerns/needs of front line employees. All of the managerial behavior suggests selfishness to me, with almost no one in a leadership position who is working for the company instead of themselves. Management as a whole needs to completely overhaul the systems of communication within the company, and you need management who are capable of acquiring and processing feedback correctly, and who are willing to fight for improvements with their own superiors.

8. "Accounts Receivable Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Clemente, CA

I worked at DealerSocket full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Made a few friends and worked around some very nice people (we were located next to the legal department). There was a Halloween costume competition at work as well as a white elephant gift exchange.

The CEO seemed like a genuinely good guy. I didn't know him well, but I could tell that he's a caring, intelligent and articulate fellow.

Cons

The job was not very challenging. I ended up with a mindless task that took up 3-4 hours a day and decided to leave. This was just my personal experience, and probably not reflective of everyone's experience. It was a mixture of timing and bad luck. We were in middle of a few mergers and acquisitions.

Also, a large majority of the employees did not believe the benefits were great.

"Implementation Manager, Inventory"

I worked at DealerSocket full-time

Pros

Informative and Enjoyable work Environment

Cons

Nothing bad other than they Downsized.

"The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves"

Current Employee - Sales Group in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Group in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is pretty good. They are chill about how many hours you work even if you aren't making your numbers. Most work like 30ish a week.

Cons

Monthly CEO phone calls where JO makes things sound better than they are - we all get together and talk about how full of it he is. Customer retention is in the toilet. Products suck and are hard to sell, we have a bad reputation in the market, customer retention is in the toilet. You can make more someplace else, the benefits suck, and there's no opportunities for growth unless you are a friend of an executive. Management changes things every few weeks it seems like and managers need training. There is no real training for anyone, all the people who train have no idea how to do it.

Advice to Management

Go back and make better products that are easy to sell, stop with the reorganizations, and management needs training on how to be better leaders. It's obvious a bunch of guys who never really lead before started a company and can't let it go. The company has stalled because they won't hand it over to better leadership or try to become better leaders themselves. Leadership also seems greedy, like they are only in it for the money.