DealerSocket Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jonathan Ord

Pros
Cons
  • Health insurance cost is too high and no 401k match (in 16 reviews)

• They should consider a 401k match (in 25 reviews)

"Strong Position in the Automotive Space"

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time

Pros

DealerSocket is in a strong position with their products to compete at a very high level. Work/life balance is pretty decent. Work near the beach/opposite traffic on the 5 freeway!

Cons

A lot of red tape can cause things to move very slow. Benefit package is probably the worst I've seen in a long time with the exception of time-off.

"Low Wages, Highly Disorganized, Terrible Internal Communication/Lack of Transparency"

I worked at DealerSocket full-time

Pros

Awesome co-workers, fun events, can wear street clothes

Cons

Extremely low salaries & raises, no incentive for people who have been with the company for years, extremely disorganized, TERRIBLE communication, poor training for new employees, utter lack of transparency, lack of appreciation for hard work, always pushing for more out of already overworked, severely underpaid employees, bonus metrics based on factors out of employee's control, low employee morale, unhappy customers, a lot of things fall through the cracks, poorly trained sales teams.

Advice to Management

1. FOCUS MORE ON EMPLOYEES - A significant amount employees in a multitude of areas are more unhappy with their job, work load and compensation than you think - they're just too polite to verbalize it after seeing how similar discussions were handled with other co-workers. PLEASE start to put more effort in to your employee's happiness, compensation and work/life balance. Happy employees yield happy customers which will increase retention. DON'T be afraid to invest money and time back in to your employees.

2. IMPLEMENT FAIR COMPENSATION - We know a salary analyst came in. We know their results determined that many departments were astronomically underpaid (by 20-30k). PLEASE don't risk losing good employees over spending a few extra bucks. Not worth it in the long run and for the health of the company. Too many good people have already left.

3. STOP THE FAVORITISM - It's quite obvious that employees who make the company money directly are favored; it's apparent in the company emails, calls, etc. Don't tell non client-facing employees to sell products, it's absurd and embarrassing. Appreciate each employee fairly for what they bring to the table in their respective role. Not everything is about sales and money.

4. NO MORE ACQUISITIONS - Please refrain from more acquisitions for a while and focus on integrating the companies that you already have. Everything is a mess right now and needs attention before adding more chaos to it.

5. WORK ON TRANSPARENCY/COMMUNICATION - We're your employees. We work for YOU. You need to be honest and open with us and talk to us about things that are going on or will happen in the future. Leaving people in the dark leads to fear, rumors, etc. and only adds fuel to the fire that's already started with the other issues mentioned above.

Bottom Line - You have a lot of very unhappy employees.

"Volatile"

Former Employee - Executive Sales Manager in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Executive Sales Manager in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at DealerSocket full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, and bagel Fridays.

Cons

Luckily I left DealerSocket not long after they bought out DealerFire. They came in and gutted the place of any shred of dignity. By this I mean that upper-level executives came in an just looked down at us in Oshkosh, as if we were lesser than the folks in San Clemente and Utah. I left because it was obvious to me (I'm not sure why it wasn't to others) that the market of auto dealerships is ever-dwindling, so earning new business is going to increasingly difficult year over year. After reading the new reviews in 2017, it's good to see that they are laying people off because of the level of attrition of their dealers, as it seems that my thought process was correct. It's tough to call and have a dealer complain to you about how their stuff isn't working constantly. Luckily my manager was pretty decent at the team leading part, however, usually they promote former salespeople that did well into management roles and they're just suppose to lead a team. When I visited the San Clemente office, I can see why we were looked down upon - the machismo of the salespeople there was enough to make you sick. DealerFire was essentially a portfolio boost to DealerSocket's product lineup so that they could say, "we do that too." That's great and all, but when the good people leave, you're still stuck with another product that other vendors can do better at, and at a lesser price. It's time DealerSocket gets off their high horse, eat some humble pie, and re-examine it's philosophies on some things. Oh and the "Mormon, white man" stereotype is spot-on true. If you aren't any of these, good luck to you.

Advice to Management

DealerFire > DealerSocket in terms of culture. Thank for selling out former DealerFire owner whom I cannot name; I hope it was worth it.

"Where's the asprin?"

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers are great people. Bagel Fridays.

Cons

Upper level management is clueless and take things out on employees due to their bad mistakes. (Christmas bonus getting cut in half, annual raise being pushed back and lowered even more, bonuses being delayed, etc).

High stress environment, many people take sick leave due to mental breakdowns here.

Salary structure is ridiculous. New hires with no product knowledge start at higher wages then those that have years of product knowledge and tenure with the company. (way to treat your veteran employees well).

Most positions, you must perform actions that are out of your realm of responsibilities.

They stress there is room for growth, which is a lie. If you arent mormon, don't have kids, or havent known any upper level people for awhile, you more than likely wont go anywhere. Favoritism runs rampart.

Health insurance is laughable.

It's hard seeing what the company has become. From such a strong family culture where people showed up wanting to rock at their job, to a corporate juggernaut where they have left the people behind that helped get them there.

You can see this is a reoccurring theme on this site.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees right. You keep stressing to work harder. However you have given us every reason not to do that. Keep up motivated and we will exceed your expectations.

"Great Company Needs better Management"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No set work times, you have to be a grown up and know how much you personally need to make and push yourself to make that.

Cons

No accountability. I see a lot of waste on the sales side.

Advice to Management

Help the people that work under you so they can excel. We have training, but when it is over and you see someone struggling help them. They just gave up a good job to come work for this company and they company just spent tons of money training them, so help them to achieve their goals and in return you will see a return on investment.

"Great people, poor leadership"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Clemente, CA

I worked at DealerSocket full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some extremely skilled people working for Dealersocket. Overall, some of the best I've worked with, and and most of them try very hard to accomplish their goals.

Also, there are bagels every Friday.

Cons

The only way to advance is to get in good with the right people. And those people might change. Also, even with the new goal tracking system, the direction and results of those goals is very vague. . It's pretty much a black box where you actually don't know where you stand.

Pay is lower than other companies for similar positions.

Benefits are an absolute joke, from PTO to medical coverage.

Advice to Management

None, other than might be a good idea to warn off potential hires.

"Poor Management decisions"

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time

Pros

Casual dress in office. Every other pro has been stripped slowly over the last 1 year or so

Cons

Where to start...Since Vista Equity bought the majority share a couple of years ago, they have been slowly running the great culture DealerSocket culture into the ground and I think it is safe to say that it is officially gone. All the reviews on here from a year or two ago are obsolete and completely irrelevant as things have dramatically changed over that time, especially the last 6-9 months. DealerSocket is an unethical company now and you can easily see that they are only out for profits and money. They don't care about their customers or employees and it shows. Dealerships are cancelling left and right and employees are either leaving, having their salaries lowered, or are even being fired because the attrition is so bad right now. The list goes on

1. Dealerships are required to sign 1 to 2 year contracts that auto-renew. Most don't even know that is the case. Also any add on products follow this so once you sign onto a product you better hope it's not buggy and works because you are stuck with it and required to pay whether it works or whether we even support it anymore (like the old box drivers license scanners).
    2. Along with the new CRM you have to sign a new contract that gives Dealersocket the ability to raise your rates at any time they please! Also consulting is no longer available so clients are paying more monthly while getting less in return, oh and they are locked in so you can't cancel. All the while, all of this is hidden from the dealerships and no employee is supposed to tell them that this is happening, super sketchy and unethical.
    3. The company has stiffed many employees on bonuses, including pushing back the pay out date of a bonus that was supposed to be paid last year just so they could fire 7% of the workforce and not have to pay them what they were rightfully owed!
    4. Benefits are a joke! You have a high deductible, expensive insurance plan. No matching 401k, zero perks and appreciation for employees, etc. They do offer bagels on Fridays though, so that more than makes up for it they think.

As mentioned all of this is a money grab but yet upper management continues to give the company the whole rah-rah of "it's better for our customers," and "we are doing great and all the dealerships love this, blah blah" yet attrition is the worst it has ever been. They are just so out of touch with what their customers want and it is a downward spiraling ship.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your customers and employees! Tell them the truth and communicate it clearly and timely instead of feeding everyone BS word tracks. Show employees appreciation instead of cutting salaries and then asking everyone to "think beyond your role," and "be your best," when you clearly aren't going above and beyond for your customers or employees

"Product Great, Culture Not So Much"

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time

Pros

Nice friendly people. Nice facilities.

Cons

There are a lot of red flags -- 7% workforce laid off in January, January bonuses mysteriously postponed until February, attrition of both dealers and employees. The "culture" is white, male, mormon. Anything else and you feel like a minority. No work from home policy for most people translates to lack of trust culture. The people they laid off? African American, Asians, Women. The people left? Mormon, white men.

Advice to Management

The company would benefit from more openness on profitability, overall revenue, and clearer objectives. The company would benefit from an openness to diversity.

10. "Director"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at DealerSocket full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DealerSocket is a great place to work and am so thankful for my role every day. I am constantly impressed with the thought leadership among our Executive team and upper management.

Is everything perfect at all times? No, we have some work to do. However, driven colleagues and clear project direction help us manage risk, communicate impact and ultimately come through for our customers. The team interaction is excellent between departments and I feel my voice is always heard.

Our customers are first. We have a treasure trove of experienced people that are constantly looking at feedback from our customers in order to make sure their needs are met and when they are not met, we go to work!

We have an executive team that is willing to make the tough decisions in order to grow the business and ensure the customer experience is in the forefront of the minds of everyone.

Our mission statement drives us and we are growing! Our cultural values speak volumes to the community you will find here.

You can expect quarterly goals and reviews which keep us on track. What gets measured gets done!

Come join us!

Cons

Improve goal tracking software for quarterly reviews.

Advice to Management

Continue to cross train teams on job functions

"Below expectations"

I worked at DealerSocket full-time

Pros

Managed own schedule and competitive pay

Cons

Big ideas with slow execution