Dean Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Ralph P. Scozzafava

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good pay and benefits, good vacation time" (in 25 reviews)

• "They offer good pay, tons of options for additional benefits at fairly reasonable costs and I have to say they do treat employees fairly" (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • "Managers and Supervisors all work long hours to get their work done - it is expected of them; there is no 8 hour day" (in 21 reviews)

• "Unprofessional upper management" (in 13 reviews)

"IT Business Analyst"

I have been working at Dean Foods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Long Time Industry leader in fluid milk processing

Cons

Many job cutbacks, plant closures

Advice to Management

Method needed for making great employees feel secure

"Struggling company w/ some great teams - corporate HQ employee"

Current Employee - Finance in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Finance in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dean Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a good chance that you'll have an awesome boss that never makes you want to leave.

My work-life balance rocks, but I think that's highly team-dependent. Ask a lot of questions of your hiring manager about the seasonality/deadlines of their work. Depending on your team, you might be serving internal customers who need everything 'tomorrow'

Because the corporate HQ is relatively small (<1000 employees), there's a good chance that even at an entry level you'll rub shoulders w/ the CEO in the elevator, and might even present to the C-suite.
    Additionally, b/c the corporate HQ staff isn't huge, you'll likely get your hands dirty in a broader array of things than if you were working for a relatively HUGE Fortune 500 company, like Frito-Lay. However, at times this can be frustrating - it's easier to do one or two things REALLY well than to do ten or fifteen things REALLY well at the same time.

If you ride the DART, the commute is AWESOME - the office sits on top of the CityPlace station. DF also subsidizes DART passes.

Finance employees get to work remote one day/week. If your boss trusts you, he/she will likely have no problem w/ you working 2 days/week remote for irregular events e.g. appliance delivery to your house.

The offices/cubes are pretty 'private' - DF hasn't tried this hotel office thing yet.

5% 401(k) match and immediate vesting. Tuition reimbursement of ~$6k/yr, dependent on your grades.

Cons

There is a chance that you'll have a boss who makes you want to leave - I feel like I hear more stories about good bosses than ones who make people want to leave.

The company is process and systems poor. The company grew into its current form through a bunch of mergers and acquisitions (M&A), and leadership is still trying to cobble together these different (sometimes seemingly semi-autonomous) companies into a single group, led by the corporate strategy.
    So, if coming from a systems/process rich company, get ready for some big efficiency reductions from your systems limitations, expect inconsistencies b/c of lacking process uniformity, and be prepared to embrace Dean Foods' #1 ERP system: Excel.

Since the corporate office is relatively small, there's a good chance that nobody else knows how to do all your job. So, it's hard to 'turn off' from work even when on vacation and when you/one of your counterparts leave for vacation (or for another job), your (likely small) team is left trying to pick up the pieces and fit your full-time job into their already over-loaded plates.

There is horrible turnover. On the bright side this might result in more lateral/upward mobility than at a company where people never leave?

The fluid milk category accounts for the vast majority of DF's revenue, and the category is shrinking ~2% YOY. So, don't expect any exciting, breakneck growth.

DF's performance depends significantly on the commodity cycle. Depending on commodities in year 1 you might have a record-breaking bonus and in years 2 and year 3 you'll just be glad that your job wasn't out-sourced or eliminated.

Literally 0 paternity leave. Starting out there is just 15 days for sick leave, family leave, and vacation.

Hopefully it's the right thing to do to get the company thriving again, but leadership is making a lot of unpopular decisions currently - closing plants, out-sourcing functions, making lay-offs, placing hiring freezes, kicking spouses off the insurance if their employer provides insurance, etc. I don't feel like they're being open and honest enough with employees about these decisions.

Advice to Management

Be more open/honest with your employees about the unpopular decisions being made. One of my most frustrating experiences at DF has been listening to a quarterly employee town meeting in which every question was a (I'm sure pre-selected) 'cupcake' question.

When we have quarterly earnings calls with our investors, we don't pre-screen their questions, and they don't pull any punches. This disparity makes me feel like leadership values their investors more than their most valuable assets - their employees.

3. "Dean Foods/ Lehigh Valley"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver DSD in Lansdale, PA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver DSD in Lansdale, PA

I have been working at Dean Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’m a new employee, not much to say, the money is good. Plenty of opportunities to move around within the company.

Cons

Long hours, got to wait a bit until you get a route.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Long hours very unflexible"

Former Employee - Route Driver in Elwood, IN
    Former Employee - Route Driver in Elwood, IN

I worked at Dean Foods (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of overtime 60+ hours a week.

Cons

Poor company decisions, unoriganzed

5. "Need to fire the CEO and get back to what works"

Pros

Great passion and managers on a local level.

Cons

Executive leadership is the worst I have ever seen.

Advice to Management

Quit. Sacrifice yourself in favor of the 18,000 employees that you are hurting

6. "IT"

Pros

The people are the company's greatest asset.

Cons

The company uses old systems

Advice to Management

Invest in advance technologies.

7. "Driver"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Dean Foods full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty good money physically easy

Cons

Holidays and Saturday work Switcher work

Advice to Management

Back off

8. "Fleet Maintenance"

Pros

No slow period and well equipped shops

Cons

Lack of support from Senior Management and poor communication between departments

9. "sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dean Foods full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefit structures and you co workers

Cons

too many to list -

"Great Place"

I have been working at Dean Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay & Benefits
    Great People
    Caring Environment

Cons

Unrealistic Expectations by Upper Management
    Too focused on $ without understanding local environment/needs

Advice to Management

Listen to your local management! They've been around, they know their community and their environment. They are committed to Dean Foods success. Trust them to do their jobs, they are actually GREAT at what they do!