Dean Health Systems Reviews in Madison, WI | Glassdoor

Madison, WI

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Craig Samitt

Pros
  • Good benefits, annual reviews and raises (in 6 reviews)

• Growth opportunities, great benefits and pay, learning opportunities, hospital collaboration (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There have been many changes due to the merger with SSM, but still appears to be a good company to work for (in 3 reviews)

• Cost of benefits to employees with families has gone up A LOT since SSM took over (in 3 reviews)

1. "Medical Assistant"

Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Madison, WI

I have been working at Dean Health Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Comfortable work environment. Each clinic is slightly different but I really appreciate my co-workers, the doctors, and my manager!

Cons

Health care is cheaper through my husband, for the company I work for...

"Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Madison, WI

I have been working at Dean Health Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent relationship with co-workers.

Doctors are approachable, trust our judgment and treat us as respected members of the team. Immediate supervisor is approachable and easy to talk to. (This reflects my individual department I can not speak for other departments)

Long term relationship with patients. We see them regularly and frequently. We get to know many of them very well.

Cons

It's been a rough ride since being acquired by SSM. Dean was a physician owed company so you worked with the owners every day. They truly cared about the employees and treated them fairly.

SSM is very corporate and it's about the bottom line. The people who are losing are the employees.

Being the largest (and one of few) clinic systems they own it is pretty obvious their thing is hospitals and they are not grasping clinics operate differently.

They are also clueless about HMO markets.

SSM is not family friendly (although they like to tell you they are)
    Cost of benefits to employees with families has gone up A LOT since SSM took over. People with families have to pay a higher percentage of their health insurance costs. Family is 25%, employee +1 is 20%, single is 15%. If your spouses employer offers insurance then you get to pay and extra $150/ mo. This was an increase of $210/ mo for employees with families (before the usual yearly increase). Health care costs went down for singles.
    (The plan coverage is also not as good as it used to be)

Non planned absences went down from 7 days in a rolling 12 month period to 3 days.

But they give you $7000 to adopt a child (you then just won't be able to afford your insurance)

Advice to Management

Upper management in St. Louis needs to start paying attention to local management. They are losing good, loyal long term employees and are no longer competitive with others in the market for benefits.

Don't talk out of both sides of your mouth telling us how much you care about is as employees and how important we are while cutting benefits. Don't preach about us needing to improve customer service to prevent losing market share to other organizations while you are forcing your own employees to seek health care outside of the organization because of the increase in health care cost.

"Anonymous"

I worked at Dean Health Systems full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Access to parking. Friendly co-workers.

Cons

Bumpy transition in merger with SSM. Older infrastructure with no upgrades in sight.

5. "IT Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Dean Health Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People are really nice and know their jobs.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be a strategic plan.

Advice to Management

Develop and share plan

6. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Director in Madison, WI

I worked at Dean Health Systems (More than a year)

Pros

Overall leadership was amazing! While there are challenges at all organizations, Dean was doing the right things.

Cons

Partnership with SSM and the loss of the special culture of Dean. Dean was making great traction on the changes in healthcare and the sale to SSM was a mistake. The SSM leadership didn't respect the great things that Dean offered and didn't leverage the expertise of the leadership.

Advice to Management

Unfortuntately the advice would be to not sell to SSM, but too late

7. "Failing"

Former Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Madison, WI

Pros

Probably the last health system in Madison where a long-term doctor/patient relationship is somewhat possible. Good integration between insurance and providers.

Cons

Very low pay in comparison to direct competitors in the market, uninspired management and workplaces, crumbling facilities. Lower-level admin and service staff treated poorly. In my specific area, low morale.

Advice to Management

Right now, after the SSM takeover, Dean has taken big steps backwards in almost every operational aspect of the business. It's now the type of place you quit without having another job lined up.

8. "Was a great company to work for until SSM took over."

Current Employee - Information Technology in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Madison, WI

I have been working at Dean Health Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers.
    Benefits were good, but SSM will probably be changing.

Cons

Poor communication.
    Poor management since SSM took over.
    Benefits will be changing.

9. "ma"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Pros

Laid back, coworkers were great, fast pace

Cons

Insurance was high, old buildings, lower salary than most

"I totally disagree"

Current Employee - Confidential in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Confidential in Madison, WI

I have been working at Dean Health Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can think of no pros because this organization is the worst i could imagine it to be. I am being so wordy because of goofy requirements on this website. Enough with the minimum requirements already some things can only be said in a few words.

Cons

Ok first and foremost this site needs serious work. It doesn't even provide a way to see your reviews or pending reviews. I wrote a one on here and when I submitted it asked me to create an account. After doing so and activating it didn't tell me if review took and i see review isn't posted yet so i must assume i wasted my time. The incompetence these days is unbelievable. As I mentioned in other reviews Dean is bad. The management is corrupt at top as well as bottom and they like it that way. They're in violation of many things which I don't care to discuss given the nature and severity of them. They push the buck on almost everything and see how far they can get before an individual or the government will challenge them in court. They assume no one will and are very gutsy and bold. The three star and above reviews on here sound like MANAGEMENT THEMSELVES from Dean attempting to raise the average. I am convinced many of the problems stem from upper management and are being replayed by lower. One other review on here hit it on the head about them behaving like children. It is a very juvenile atmosphere with much drama and power hungry people which makes no sense considering what else is out there. I don't fully understand that level of arrogance I mean it is Dean and in Wisconsin wake up already. I've witnessed politicians in Washington behave less corrupt and arrogant.

"Very poor accountability in place for managers; many don't take the time or interest to invest in their employees."

Current Employee - Registration Scheduler in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Registration Scheduler in Madison, WI

I have been working at Dean Health Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many friendly coworkers who genuinly care about the people they care for.

Cons

Poor management
    Disrespect for employees
    Poor distribution of workloads

Advice to Management

Take a good look at mid-management and ruthlessly make some changes. Poor leadership, lack of respect, and lack of accountability. Employees are fearful to voice their real thoughts because they are aware of high, negative retaliation.