Dean Health Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Craig Samitt

Pros
  • Good benefits, annual reviews and raises (in 6 reviews)

• Growth opportunities, great benefits and pay, learning opportunities, hospital collaboration (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There have been many changes due to the merger with SSM, but still appears to be a good company to work for (in 3 reviews)

• Cost of benefits to employees with families has gone up A LOT since SSM took over (in 3 reviews)

1. "Manager"

I worked at Dean Health Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee atmosphere
    Benefits
    Programs for staff to grow and develop
    Work / life balance

Cons

Limited availability to Senior Administration
    Clinical decisions made without involvement of clinical personnel
    Too many meetings leading to limited productivity

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees; grow young employees to keep them within the system

2. "Dean Health - Great"

I worked at Dean Health Systems full-time

Pros

Great company to work for, but changes within the organization changed attitudes and we lost valuable individuals.

Cons

Cons at the time were changes being made at a corporate level.

3. "veterinarian"

Current Employee - Veterinarian in South Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Veterinarian in South Madison, WI

Pros

nice building to work in

Cons

don't do part time well

Advice to Management

live up to what you promise

5. "Great Employer!"

Pros

They are committed to developing strengths and including employees in policy development and process improvement. Although a large company, they work to allow each site to build its own culture.

Cons

As with any large healthcare organization, the company is in a constant state of change congruent with industry standards and demands.

6. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Dean Health Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Doctors and staff who really care about the patients and provide excellent care!

Cons

Went through a recent merger, so tough to work through the changes from that, but it has gotten easier gradually.

7. "Good"

I have been working at Dean Health Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Still a good place to work, even after the merger. Departments can vary, but I've found most employees to be professional and Dean generals had low turn over. Pay seems to be good as well.

Cons

The merger has left a lot of questions. Change is still occurring ( which isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on the change). Insurance is definitely not good if you need the family plan.

8. "Medical Assistant"

Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Madison, WI

I have been working at Dean Health Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Comfortable work environment. Each clinic is slightly different but I really appreciate my co-workers, the doctors, and my manager!

Cons

Health care is cheaper through my husband, for the company I work for...

"Clinic Administrator"

Former Employee - Administrator in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Administrator in Tampa, FL

I worked at Dean Health Systems (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cons

More work than hours in a day.

Advice to Management

Trust the experts.

"It's all just one big corporate mentality these days."

I worked at Dean Health Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Up until recently, the longevity of staff was a great asset. It helps to establish contacts who are still there in the next six months. Working remotely as an option and vacation accrual are pretty decent also. It's nice to have the option to work elsewhere besides the home base. There is a variety of projects at any given time so there is plenty to learn.

Cons

Leadership/management has no idea how long some projects really take to complete. The timelines are ridiculously unbalanced, but they keep adding more and staff just keeps walking out the door. When will they pay attention that something isn't working in their favor?! The merge didn't help anything either besides the bank account. Dean went backwards in time (in many ways) when SSM took over.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at your employees below the management levels. There's plenty of people who are working in the organization that bring it down. Otherwise, just sit back and watch your talent continue to walk out the door.

"Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Madison, WI

I have been working at Dean Health Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent relationship with co-workers.

Doctors are approachable, trust our judgment and treat us as respected members of the team. Immediate supervisor is approachable and easy to talk to. (This reflects my individual department I can not speak for other departments)

Long term relationship with patients. We see them regularly and frequently. We get to know many of them very well.

Cons

It's been a rough ride since being acquired by SSM. Dean was a physician owed company so you worked with the owners every day. They truly cared about the employees and treated them fairly.

SSM is very corporate and it's about the bottom line. The people who are losing are the employees.

Being the largest (and one of few) clinic systems they own it is pretty obvious their thing is hospitals and they are not grasping clinics operate differently.

They are also clueless about HMO markets.

SSM is not family friendly (although they like to tell you they are)
    Cost of benefits to employees with families has gone up A LOT since SSM took over. People with families have to pay a higher percentage of their health insurance costs. Family is 25%, employee +1 is 20%, single is 15%. If your spouses employer offers insurance then you get to pay and extra $150/ mo. This was an increase of $210/ mo for employees with families (before the usual yearly increase). Health care costs went down for singles.
    (The plan coverage is also not as good as it used to be)

Non planned absences went down from 7 days in a rolling 12 month period to 3 days.

But they give you $7000 to adopt a child (you then just won't be able to afford your insurance)

Advice to Management

Upper management in St. Louis needs to start paying attention to local management. They are losing good, loyal long term employees and are no longer competitive with others in the market for benefits.

Don't talk out of both sides of your mouth telling us how much you care about is as employees and how important we are while cutting benefits. Don't preach about us needing to improve customer service to prevent losing market share to other organizations while you are forcing your own employees to seek health care outside of the organization because of the increase in health care cost.