Deb Shops Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 15, 2016

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dawn Robertson

Pros
  • It was just like any other retail position, however you got a 40% discount (in 20 reviews)

• employee discount was really the only pro to working in this type of retail (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many changes in upper management and strategies (in 25 reviews)

• Went over a year without a district manager (in 14 reviews)

1. "Store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to move up was easy.

Cons

Too many changes in upper management and strategies.

Advice to Management

Listen to those actually interacting with the customers.

2. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Plevna, MT
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Plevna, MT

I worked at Deb Shops (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to home, easy commute

Cons

untrained upper management, unwilling to resolve in store issues

3. "ummm"

Former Employee - Keyholder in Pottstown, PA
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Pottstown, PA

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (More than a year)

Pros

music, coworkers, clothing, customers, discount

Cons

customers, corporate, signs, rules, policy

Advice to Management

get it together god

5. "Never Again!!!!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Deb Shops full-time

Pros

40% discount and work staff.

Cons

No structure, too many sign changes, company went into bankruptcy so thank goodness.

6. "Great and then bad."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Blasdell, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Blasdell, NY

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

40% discount. Interview process was easy. Girls were nice. Good place if you like fashion. They have different styles for different people's personalities.

Cons

I never worked more than 12 hours a week, 4 hour shifts. I was mostly on-call and I had to call every time an hour before hand. If the on-call was at 2, I had to call at 1. The one time, my on-call was as 5, so I called at 4. They said they didn't need me. At 5:07 the Manager calls back and asks me if I can get there at 5:30. I live a half hour away. And I didn't have a car so I had to rely on people for rides, I told her I couldn't come in by 5:30. I got written up for that.
    I worked there for a little over 3 months and some weeks I wouldn't work at all, and other weeks I'd be only on-call.
    Apparently when you're on-call you can't do anything the entire time because they may need you to come in at any given moment.
    The one Manager was a little judgemental. I wore a chain-necklace and she asked me why I wore it and I told her why, and she said "Oh I was just wondering because I thought only men wear it and my boyfriend has a similar one."

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter, they're going out of business.

7. "Working with all females"

Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Danvers, MA

Pros

Great hours,awesome discounts for employees.fast promotions is showing great work and commitment,but won't go hire then store manager the district manager isn't going to give you their job,

Cons

Not enough pay,the district manager is a control freak,younger employees challenge the assistant managers behind the store managers back. Employees don't take loss prevention seriously

Advice to Management

HAssert your poistion.do what's expected of you,when your hired you agree to all the responsibility included show up do your best,they won't hesiate to replace you.

8. "Repetitive."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Erie, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Erie, CO

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A physically easy job, good hours.

Cons

Repetitive job. Nothing new or exciting.

"very very stressful!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Akron, OH

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (More than a year)

Pros

as a full time assistant manager, the pay is decent, the discount is good 40%.

Cons

negative work environment, constant promo changes-- sometimes in the middle of the day! tons of tasking not enough customer service, not enough hours for coverage-- heavy shrink... at my store, we went through two sets of management and then the new manager walked out, also had our regional manager quit and our new district manager rarely showed up... she didnt care about what was happening in our store. constant gossip, lies, backstabbing, and when you did tell her she just said that we all needed to learn how to "play nice" together. this was the worst job i have ever had in my life.. i was so stressed on a daily basis. my "new" manager actually told me that yes, we need to help customers, but shipment is more important. this company is horrible.. dont walk away... RUN!!!!! i'm very serious.

Advice to Management

when you have constant strife in a store and someone is coming to you honestly and truly caring and asking for help.. maybe you should listen? you say that customers come first but with 2 person coverage (and i personally had one person coverage for up to 6 hours at a time) and a big store in a mall where there is high shrink, how can you really have eyes everywhere and do everything? listen to your employees, not just the dm who is never there. and if you say you care, actually mean it. thats a tiny start.

"The bad out weighs the good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gained just enough experience to move on to something better.

Cons

Morale is low. Unless your someone's pet or willing to step on people, there is no room for growth. The atmosphere in the company headquarters breaks you down mentally while the hours break your down physically. Prepare for lack of respect and dealing with caddy women like you did back in high school.

Advice to Management

Learn to recognize the hard workers who are truly there to do their work and keep hold of them. A simple "thank you" or "you are doing a good job" will go a long way but those words are scarcely heard. The pay that is handed out in the company is far below industry standards. Show ALL of your employees respect.

11. "IT SUCKED!!!!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Lakewood, CO

Pros

great discount, people I worked with, I pretty much liked, esp my manager. some of the repeat customers. clothes were awesome.

Cons

the pay sucked!!! upper management/ ownership was horrible! drama, since I worked with a lot of teenage girls, they always brought their drama to work with them. no raises

Advice to Management

hire people that know what they are doing. give more hours to those who deserve it, and give raises and promotions to those who deserve it.