Deb Shops Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Dawn Robertson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Too many changes in upper management and strategies (in 25 reviews)

• Went over a year without a district manager (in 14 reviews)

1. "Poor company, poor pay"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Wausau, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Wausau, WI

Pros

40% discount is the only thing positive about working their

Cons

No advancement opportunities, poor pay, also on 2 year pay freeze and counting. No praise for anything positive you do

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees, and your employees would take better care at their jobs. Then the company wouldnt be in the dumps. Respect and actually listen to what the employees have to say about how they are being managed in each particular store. Take a better look at the general management over all and see what you find. I have just left the company after 3 years and my general knowledge of it is that the poor management led to unhappy employees which led to poor customer service, then led to unsatisfied non -returning customers. And we all know what that leads to.... the loss of profit.

2. "Only if you have nowhere else."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niles, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niles, OH

Pros

Make friends with co-workers and customers.
    New CEO, He's trying to make changes.
    Decent discount, 40% off full-price merchandise.
    Lots of hours, 35+ for part time.

Cons

Always understaffed, when the store is busy, especially during the holidays, there's too much to do. They force you to stay after your shift, even if you have a ride home waiting outside, you have to stay 30 mins to 1hr later to get basic things done.

None of the cleaning is contracted. Sales associates have to change ceiling tiles, wash windows, mop the floor, vacuum, paint walls, etc.

Time off is not happily given. It doesn't matter how far in advance, three days off is WAY to much to them. Even when you're a senior sales associate.

Dress code always changes. Sometimes have to buy new clothes just to be able to work.

No showing tattoos.

Violent customers/shoplifters. Sales associates are told to never leave a shoplifter's side, even if they threaten you. Shoplifters come every day, and watch for when you are busy. Sales associates are blamed for all merchandise stolen, even if you were helping someone else at the time.

"Surprise" mandatory hours, with less than 24 hour notice.

Management doesn't always do what they say they will. Lots of "do what I say, not what I do"

Must keep a clear purse. Everyone in the mall will know when you're on your period because they can see in your purse when walking to work. Clear purses are hard to find and expensive. They break often, too.

Advice to Management

Don't expect sales associates to have "Deb pride" when you overwork them. Fix the shoplifting problem. hire more people so it's not so hectic and so associates can freely ask for time off without repercussions. Stay true to the hours you post, and post them earlier than two days before they start. If someone works 11am-6:30pm, don't be mad when they ask to leave at 7:00pm. Especially on a holiday. Keeping people longer than previously promised is wrong.

"Horrible, horrible, horrible."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Lakewood, CO

Pros

Good discount
    Decent clothes
    My store manager was amazing
    Some regular customers were amazing to work with and help out

Cons

Nearly impossible to be promoted
    No performance reviews, no raises, not even annual raises
    Upper management VERY disorganized
    No consistency from one store to the next

Advice to Management

Give your employees a reason to stay (competitive pay for the same job), don't change the promos 5 times in one day, send out emails once per day. Let people on the store level focus on the customer service instead of having to be at the register all day dealing with paperwork that could be done at open or close when customers aren't present. Understand that every store is different, with different clientele. What works in PA may not work in CO. Let the store managers use their creativity, and knowledge of their customer based to help with sales.

4. "Absolutely, the most stressful, unorganized, forever changing place to work."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westland, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westland, MI

Pros

Hours are pretty good.
    Discount is amazing!
    Great place to earn retail experience.
    Merchandise is great.
    Everything is easy to learn.

Cons

On-call shifts leave you with no personal life.
    Overwork you. Manager will ask you to do an open-close shift, but won't do one herself.
    Pay sucks for how much work you're actually doing.
    Unnecessarily stressful for it to be a clothing store.
    No type of advancement opportunities or raises.

Advice to Management

If you see that we're genuinely sick, SEND US HOME. Don't do things that you specifically told sales associates not to do; that's being hypocritical. Train new people better. Sales associates shouldn't be working 12 days straight or be getting called in on their only day off. BRING BACK LAYAWAY. Layaway helped the company a lot IMO. Get pricing guns for markdowns! Stop showing favoritism. If you're going to work/give hours to a sales associate like they're FULL TIME, they should get the benefits. Shouldn't even part time sales associates get benefits?????

5. "Frist 11 years great ,last year bad."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Barboursville, WV
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Barboursville, WV

Pros

40% discount on reular price items
    cute merchandise
    offers Plus and jr items
    great price for prom gowns
     wonderful co-workers
    easy to learn

Cons

Never leave on time come in at 7am get off at 10pm you may get a 30min lunch if you are lucky.
     Up managment changes mind 30 times a day then screams at you like a 5 year old.
     Over worked under paid.
    No personnal life.
     Makes you come in on days off ever if you already have plans.

Advice to Management

Make sure up managment are trained and are following company guide lines.Make sure that everyone from the top of the chain to the bottom of the chain is on the same page from the start and not changing there mind 30 times a day. Hire the right people for the job.

"Aweful"

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time

Pros

Co-Workers and customers fun atmosphere

Cons

Unorganized constant changes I dont believe they know what they are doing at corporate.

Advice to Management

New DebShops just got out of bankruptsthey are so ungrateful to thier employees no gratitude constant threats of bieng terminated when you have issues in your store they are never addressed I have worked for Deb for a period of time and NEVER have I not known who I work for or were this company is going they are constantly changing policies never explaining changes it went from a fun place to work to just sad.

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Deb Shops part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discounts
    Energetic associates for the most part

Cons

Low pay
    No room for advancement
    Normally do not hire from within
    Extremely high turnover rate

Advice to Management

ORGANIZATION! Honesty, timeliness, recruite and/or hire quality associates with great morals and dedication to reduce high turnover rate. In order to be a manager you must love what you do and genuinely want to see your team succeed and improve by sharing new experiences with them and turning that into a learning experience.

"While the potential for success was evident, the internal processes, directives, and communications led to chaos."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Deb Shops full-time

Pros

Variety of merchandise and customers, potential for rewarding career

Cons

lack of clear directions, no accountability system, process for daily tasks not defined

Advice to Management

Markdowns and promotional changes need to be reformatted- a list of sku#s makes the process of identifying and locating the necessary merchandise extremely time-consuming and ineffective. Code the merchandise, have themes on tags so new products can easily be identified and placed correctly in displays. Install security cameras and gates- too much opportunity for theft becomes overwhelming on managers.

"Current Asst. Mgr"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- 40% Discount
    - Getting to see the clearance deals first
    - They FINALLY got rid of LTO50
    - I believe that the new CEO, Dawn, is going to be running things similarly to how the old owners did. Markdowns, Clinics, and Promos will have certain days so that we are able to plan accordingly.
    - Clear cut goals for KPIs.

Cons

- Lazy upper management. While supposed to be physically out on the floor helping you, they are on the phone or their laptops in the back pretending to be doing work.
    - This company is in need of markdown/promo guns. Giving employees a list of 87943275987 SKUs wastes a massive amount of time. I'm unsure if this company even has an Operations Manager, but if not - they need one.
    - I've worked for this company for 2+ years. The different trainings for the sales associates have varied greatly. It's gotten to the point where some of the more veteraned sales girls don't even know what I'm talking about when I train the new girls. Once sales girls are trained, that's it. There's never more training. Of course there is "coaching in the moment" and the need for mandated store meetings with no payroll, but there needs to be company wide trainings to get everyone on the same page.
    - PAYROLL. For the love of God and all that is holy, please go back to the matrix. I don't think it's right that we have 230 hours for a high volume store.
    - There is not even a hint of work/life balance. None. Especially not for management. I am consistently called on every single day I have off. I'm only an Assistant, but since our store doesn't have a Store Manager and I'm the most experienced, all of the responsibility falls on me.
    - If you have any type of post high school education, this company does not seem to value it. Having a degree in the field, I was offered the same compensation rate as those without one. When I inquired about moving up to a district manager role, I was laughed at. I was told I would have to be a Store Manager first. My dream career is to be valued by a company and to be given challenging work. Working for Deb Shops does not fit that dream.
    - I don't think that the Orion survey is a good tool. I interviewed a young girl who worked at a competitor. She was totally dedicated to our brand, engaged our customers during her "on the floor interview exercise," and came with a lot of retail experience. This sweet, innocent, church-going girl was denied employment because she didn't answer the correct combination of answers to the Orion. It certainly needs to be reevaluated.
    - Absolutely NO positive feedback from upper management. It creates a depressing work environment and minimal desire to help the company achieve KPIs.

Advice to Management

This is targeted towards management above a Store Manager: Please, if you see your stores struggling, get your hands dirty and help them. Sitting in the back gossiping to your other SMs about how poorly one of your SMs are doing is not helping.

"TERRIBLE!!"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is difficult to find any pros with this company as the culture is so unfriendly. The only pro I can come up with is that you get first pick of their clothing which thank GOD is improving!! You get a nice discount.

Cons

The company is disorganized and communication is VERY POOR!! Unrealistic expectations!! Even direct deposit took over eight weeks to set up...SERIOUSLY??!!

Advice to Management

Make expectations achievable. Improve your product on the buying end. Improve your marketing. Create a training program...as far as i know as a store manager there was nothing!! SHAME ON YOU!! Spend a little more money on your associates. Improve your customer service policy!!! IMPROVE LP!! Get rid of your RM and DMs that are not friendly to their people. Nothing makes a store manager perform worse than having a RM/DM that will take off your head off literally then change their mind the very next minute and offer you no support. IF YOU REALLY WANTED TO KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON IN THE STORES YOU WOULD MAKE YOURSELF ACCESSIBLE TO CANDID COMMENTS FROM EMPLOYEES. STOP DRIVING OUT YOUR GOOD EMPLOYEES!! Look at the hours your dedicated store managers are putting in and show a bit of gratitude for those that willingly and regularly put in over the required 44 hours a week!!! Appreciate those who struggle through the long days with unrealistic work loads. Those that are willing to work an open to close with our complaining to make sure their people have their time they need even though they may be short staffed. Make sure your managers are getting their time off to re-charge, getting their holidays and vacations!!! That they are not being told by their DM 'Sorry you are not staffed you don't get a vacation." Make your company more attractive to entice those good employees to come and to stay. REWARD HONESTY!! Streamline your processes!!