Deb Shops Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Too many changes in upper management and strategies (in 25 reviews)

• Went over a year without a district manager (in 14 reviews)

1. "Working with all females"

Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Danvers, MA

Pros

Great hours,awesome discounts for employees.fast promotions is showing great work and commitment,but won't go hire then store manager the district manager isn't going to give you their job,

Cons

Not enough pay,the district manager is a control freak,younger employees challenge the assistant managers behind the store managers back. Employees don't take loss prevention seriously

Advice to Management

HAssert your poistion.do what's expected of you,when your hired you agree to all the responsibility included show up do your best,they won't hesiate to replace you.

"Satisfactory job"

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the environment is always upbeat, a lot to do to keep you busy.

Cons

lack of payroll during peak times. Not enough attention to hardworking people. No promotions available once you reach the top tier of field management.

Advice to Management

support those who want to move up and be a larger part in the organization.

3. "Loved it, but was going downhill."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, OH

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved the discount and the clothes. Loved the girls I worked with, just wish there was more consistency and they give seniority more hours than just recently hired associates.

Cons

No consistent management. They began to hire a bunch of sales associates at one point which brought all of our hours way way down!

Advice to Management

Hire someone who will actually stay as manager instead of so many that couldn't handle it.

"Cheap Company"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pineville, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pineville, NC

I have been working at Deb Shops part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing really discount is mediocre

Cons

EVERYTHING bad pay low wages ridiculous hours. Discount was awful
    worse than average

Advice to Management

mgmt needs better sales, take better care of employees, better policy

5. "worst management ever!!!!!"

Current Employee - Cashier in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Cashier in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros with this company with the exception of employee discount on clothing. Is it possible to give no stars?

Cons

The local management and the district management are the worst that I have ever experienced. Downright rude to customers going so far as to make fun of them to their face, care NOTHING for employees at all, fighting amongst themselves and I even had the district manager lie to my face. Very poor communication skills for them all.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to intervene in this stores management asap. They are in dire need of professionalism and training.

"Terrible management, Barely any benefits, Overall, terrible store."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dayton, OH

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess the only pro I could possibly think of from working at Deb Shops, is the 40% off discount. But honestly, 40% off of jacked up priced, and crappy clothing? Not as good as you think.

Cons

Where do I start. Well. I started working at Deb in January of 2014. I came in to the store because I was looking around the mall for a job at the time, and they said yes, they were hiring. One of the other manager girls ran up (I'll start on her later) and says "Hey what's your availability like?!" And I said, "Well, it's pretty open, I can work just about every day." And they pretty much offered me the job on the spot. At the time I was like, "Hey, this is pretty awesome." Little did I know they only wanted girls who can work any day so they can give them random shifts all the time. I started working and was getting about 20 hours a week, which I was happy with. In the interview the manager had said that's usually what all of the girls get. HAHAHA. Well I started to work there longer, and my hours went down, quick. Shifts like "5:30 pm-8:00 pm" What is that. Why would I go all the way up to the mall for that. Well one of the managers, the one I mentioned in the beginning, she had her way with me, or so she thought. One day during prom season, I came in. No direction as usual, very hectic, management bad as usual. I go to the back by the fitting rooms, and the manager says "Start on go backs, and then go straighten and take clothes out of the fitting rooms" Which I find very stupid in the first place. Why put a giant rack in the back? It's literally just asking for disorganization. But I started doing the go backs. And then she yells my name and says, "What are you doing! Clean out the fitting rooms!" And I was like "I thought you said go backs..." So, me being confused, I started cleaning those out and straighten, the other task she had mentioned. "and she was angry again and said that I had to do go backs. She was just terrible at managing the store, honestly. I don't think she had a clue what she was doing. Well another co-worker was in the back talking to me and she says "Wow, she looks like she's really trying to confuse you." And I replied "Yeah, I'm not sure she knows what's she's talking about, oh well." And of course, I should of kept my mouth shut. The co-worker completely twists my words around and goes up and tells the manager. While I'm still doing my job the manager yells at me, "Come to the back, NOW." And she got in my face yelling at me, saying "if you have something to say, say it to my face" Very unprofessional. And I told her it must of been a misconception. And she refused to believe it, and told me to just do my job and stop talking. Which I hardly ever did there, because it was such an awful place to be at. That was one of many bad days. That manager constantly abused her power, and she was very rude and picked on me a lot, opposed to other girls that worked there. She'd give me dirty looks a lot too while I was working, and it made me very uncomfortable. Well, eventually she left. Thank god for that. But management was still bad. It took 2 hours to close every night because the managers closing would just sit there and not help straighten the hundreds of racks of clothing in disorganization. Which, they would not let us do that much during the day. No go backs either. Only helping the customers. They would just sit there and talk while me and another associate would clean that entire freaking store. We close at 9, and they usually didn't start counting until 9:30 at least. And we were still straightening at that point because they wouldn't help. Well after they count, we have to count as well. 2 counts on 4 registers. That's ridiculous. And we couldn't leave until they were done with their deposit and other things we didn't have to do. I didn't drive at the time, so I had to rely on rides. And I could never give them a freaking time, because on the schedule it would say 9. Sometimes they'd let me leave at 9 and have another associate close, and other times it would be 11:00. I've had rides wait for hours outside. People have gotten mad at me after I walk out of work, tired and angry from my managers. And the reason we have to wait, is because loss prevention is so bad. Again, terrible management. They never had people watch the changing rooms, count items, or put numbers on doors. Never had enough coverage on the store. I worked at Deb Shops for 8 months and we had about 10 different managers. They couldn't deal with the store, it was too much for them. And don't even get me started on the last manager I had in there. Again with the picking favorites. There was a girl who worked there, And she got 20 hours every single freaking week. Guess how many I got? 5. Because she was a butt kisser and talked to the managers while I sat there and worked mine off, not always with a smile, but I got the freaking job done. And there was one time where I had called off because I had an appointment, and it was an hour before my shift, (I had taken the girl's shift) And she went off on me because I called off, and texted me and was very unprofessional and rude, about the whole situation. The store is just trashy and so are all of the clothes. So many damages, There was an 8 foot long rack of damaged clothing from the winter and spring season. No one knew how to take care of anything, and the clothing was cheap. I always tried to give my input about how the clothes should be organized, it was ignored. They jam packed clearance racks with hundreds of items, making it impossible to straighten. And plus size? Even worse. Well customers hated the fact that we didn't have as many plus size clothing items. I don't blame them. And the signs in the store were misleading as well. Fine print. I understand why customers got mad in the store now. It was a very disorganized store and clutter, and disorganized people. I do not recommend this job, Deb at the Dayton mall, and Ohio. My last few weeks of working there, they cut me down to 2 hours. The second I saw that on the schedule, I was tempted to just walk out. Instead, I called the next day, and put my 2 weeks in. Out of 8 months working there, I called off probably 4 times. And I was going through a ton of things the last month of working there, And I had told the sales lead what happened to me, and she understood. But I was just treated very unfairly. Getting paid 7.85 an hour and under 20 hours a week, was not worth it. And a lot of the girls there, they didn't even have bills or anything, they were 16 or 17 and in highschool, and the job was nothing to them. I was living paycheck to paycheck. And don't even think that this and another job would be worth it. Working 2 jobs, and one of them being the hell lair of Deb? No thank you. Not worth it at all. Terrible people, Terrible management, Terrible store, and Terrible job overall. I could go on so much more about having no benefits, raises, or how you have to work there a year to even get paid over time on black friday, and the fact that I sold the most perfume, and magazines of everyone and barely got noticed for it. You just have to be fake and kiss butt to get noticed, no actual intelligence needed. :) Good luck deb, honestly. Because I doubt you'll be around much longer. 60% off? Sounds like you're going out of business! Hopefully your cheap clothes go in the trash and your filth employees do as well.

Advice to Management

Close down Deb at the Dayton mall, they are losing your money!

"If you don't have thick skin, this isn't the place for you."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only good thing was getting enough experience to get the next job.

Cons

You will be worked to tears, I literally cried at least once a week. Even if you bust your butt, your compensation will be zero. People are unfriendly, bitter, and will throw you under for their own gain. The only way to get ahead is to brown nose the top people, go behind everyone elses back, take credit for work that isn't your own.

Advice to Management

Recognize those that truly work hard and for the pure benefit of he company and compensate them accordingly. A max of a sad 5% increase in pay when everyone knows the VP's are making triple digits severely hurts the morale of the workers.

"STAY AWAY!!!"

Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Strongsville, OH
    Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Strongsville, OH

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great sales associates.. The girls that worked for me were amazing and I feel bad that they have such a negative experience at a retail store. Most of the girls are very young and this is their first job.

Cons

Everything.

Dms are constantly changing. Supposedly they were trying to get enough documentation to try and fire my store manager but NOTHING WAS DONE. My store manager was AWFUL. She didn't have her own phone, so I was forced to call her boyfriend and leave a message every single time whenever I needed to get in contact with her. 75% of the time she never got back to me. There was no structure in the store as far as management. The turn over was so high with management nothing was consistent. Lazy management, lack of communication, the store is dirty. I would never want to shop at the location I worked at and was embarrassed for my friends to come visits me.

the company itself is in a bad place. There is lack of communication from home office and everything is all over the place. Promo changes in the middle of the day with no notice a day after a promo change was just set, lack of email communication. The company just got a new CEO and they are in a transition period but the company was by far the most disorganized and unprofessional place I has ever worked.

Advice to Management

DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

9. "Great at first, but turned terrible"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Deb Shops part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is really the only thing I can think of, and being the first to see the new clothes and seeing what new trends are "in". and some of the employees are very fun to work with

Cons

pay isn't that great, once new management came in the store turned into trash. A lot of rules were being broken, even situations that were illegal were taking place, and the district manager brushed us off and thought we were petty. that company is too focused on making money and not paying close enough attention on what kind of people are being hired

Advice to Management

Always make sure if you are hiring (especially higher management) make sure what is on their resume and application is actually correct and if there is a problem in the store and it is not being solved, YOU need to fix it before loss prevention comes in and does a clean sweep. constant promotion changes in the middle of the day creates angry employees and even angrier customers

10. "A good company if you would like to advance."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Marion, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Marion, IL

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training for the most part.
    40% off discount start out with 15 days pto

Cons

low pay for the work at times requires the sm to work 44 hours

Advice to Management

keep with it things are getting better I have been with deb for over 4 years and this is the best year it has been yet