Debevoise & Plimpton "lawyers" Reviews | Glassdoor

Debevoise & Plimpton Employee Reviews about "lawyers"

Updated Jun 2, 2016

3.9
Debevoise & Plimpton Presiding Partner Michael Blair
Michael Blair
Pros
  • "The firm values people more than most large law firms do and will cut on frills to avoid layoffs(in 9 reviews)

• "Amazing, great people, amazing work(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "lawyers"

Return to all Reviews

"Disaster for Administrative Employees"

Business Development Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Debevoise & Plimpton for less than a year

Pros

- Competitive entry-level base salary plus overtime after 7 hours per day (similar to peer firms) - Dynamic partnership, featuring brilliant role models

Cons

- Must begin as a temporary employee and transition to permanent will be dragged out for months - No effort whatsoever to make accommodations for employees who put in full-time/permanent-caliber work when they are temporary employees - No concern for the well-being of administrative employees from upper management - No incentive-based structure at all; no pay differentials within team; praise from lawyers... and middle management means nothing practically speaking - Zero room for growth, despite job description's lie to the contrary - Raises promised but never delivered (in my case, I was promised a raise I never received 5 months before I eventually quit) - Virtually no bonus - Expected to be responsive 24/7, including weekends and holidays

Advice to Management

Instead of solely focusing on maximizing reportable revenue, spend an extra nickel on the administrative employees to cultivate a satisfactory environment in which turnover is greater than one year and employees actually desire to develop business for the firm.

Debevoise & Plimpton2016-06-02

"Administrative Staff Not Valued"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Debevoise & Plimpton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Beautiful work environment with nice decor. Average salary and benefits. Nice atmosphere in which to work. Co-workers are generally nice and cooperative.

Cons

Definitely an "us and them" mentality in terms of lawyers and administrative staff. Partners and associates view themselves as well-above staff intellectually, culturally and financially. Staff are not really respected and valued.

Advice to Management

Value all of the employees at the firm, and they will feel more a part of the team. Philosophy of firm must enter the 21st Century.

Debevoise & Plimpton2015-09-13

"Billing & Collections Deparment"

Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Debevoise & Plimpton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I did learn a lot from my team leader; my co-workers are very pleasant; most of the attorneys that I work are OK and their secretaries are pleasant to work with, for the most part.

Cons

Salary not competitive; raises and bonuses are abysmal at best - the lawyers get all the money; department is shorthanded and will not hire additional staff; management tends to talk down to staff; some attorneys are very demanding and rude and don't appreciate the hard work you do for them.

Advice to Management

Do your job - don't dump everything on the billing staff. If you want attorneys to catch up on their billing, you should be involved in following up with them. No performance reviews is very unprofessional especially with such poor raises.

Debevoise & Plimpton2015-08-17
  4. "Attorneys professional and pleasant; management terrible"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Debevoise & Plimpton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great office space; lawyers are generally nice.

Cons

Management is in it for themselves. For some reason, some of the stupidest people were promoted to management and their purpose was not to better the firm or serve the lawyers, but to preserve their jobs and grow their ranks needlessly.

Advice to Management

Partners, you need to seize back control of your firm from the middle management that is taking you down. Some really good secretaries and paralegals, many excellent lawyers, just the worse middle management I've encountered in my career.

Debevoise & Plimpton2015-01-08