Decipher Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jamin Brazil

1. "Decent job to start out with"

Former Employee - Survey Programmer in Fresno, CA

Pros

They will help train you right out of college.
    The pay is good for an entry level position.
    The work is not very difficult.

Cons

You need to complete a specified amount of work in order to succeed, and sometimes there is not enough work to go around or the managers do not listen/give you work.

Advice to Management

Please be considerate of the employees working under you realizing that everyone needs a fair chunk of work to be successful.

2. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Fresno, CA

I worked at Decipher full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, favorable quarterly bonuses.

Cons

Long hours, poor management, favoritism, discrimination.

Advice to Management

Hire outside management to streamline pay, promotions and create a manager training program.

3. "An okay job, but don't stay too long."

Former Employee - Survey Programmer in Fresno, CA

I worked at Decipher (More than a year)

Pros

Will hire right out of college, even if you didn't get a Computer Science degree. Work was fairly simple for the most part. Training was well done (though I heard it's gone downhill since). Coworkers are usually pretty great. The Lead Programmers you'll be working for are intelligent and compassionate, I never had an issue with my lead. Group activities every month, although you'll probably be too busy to go to any of them.

Cons

A career destroyer. If you want a career as a developer/programmer, don't stay here too long. You won't learn anything useful that will help you get a job later on. You'll have to work long hours for ungrateful clients/management, so say goodbye to any learning opportunities outside work as well. Overall, working here made me a worse programmer, not a better one.

Other cons would be the terrible pay, the long hours, and the constant bending over backwards to please ungrateful clients. If a client emails you at 4:55 PM in the afternoon asking you to get something done immediately, then you're staying and working. Your personal life means nothing to management.

There's very little incentive to do your work well. Raises are only done once a year, in July. Hired in March and not eligible for a raise yet? Too bad, stick with your abysmal salary for another year.

FocusVision now owns Decipher, and they'll drive it all into the ground before long. They now want to emphasize outsourcing (terrible idea, all outsourced surveys my team had ended up having huge mistakes), and therefore made huge layoffs in May of 2015, despite an abundance of work to go around.

Advice to Management

Stop catering to clients who don't appreciate you. Raise salaries and don't just do reviews once a year. Toss out the monthly activities (the good employees can't go anyway because they're too busy) and use that money to give raises. Stop outsourcing altogether. You abandoned outsourcing before due to poor quality of results, so why you would go back to that is beyond me.

4. "Good guys"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Decipher full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool people. They have a good culture in the main office. The office I worked in was a little too quiet. Granted they were mostly programmers but nobody even said "good morning" when I walked in.

Cons

At the time they needed to figure out what they wanted from some of their employees. Not sure they had a plan other than hire and hope.

5. "project manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Decipher full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free food, lap top bag, company trips, no dress code

Cons

boring work, underpaid, repetitive work

6. "Great Company, Great Team, Low Salary"

Current Employee - Survey Programmer in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Survey Programmer in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Decipher full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is great and so as the team. The environent is Super!! I love the people at decipher if weren't for the salary. There's a lot of perks when you join where not every company do in the valley. Cool CEO's!

Cons

Cheap Salary is all I can say.

Advice to Management

Superb Management. Keep it up!

7. "Very excited to work for a great company."

I have been working at Decipher full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The perks for working here are great and there's opportunity to advance quickly as it's a growing company.

Cons

It's not an easy job. Some will not make it past their first 90 days.

"I love it here!"

I have been working at Decipher full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've learned a lot working at Decipher, everyone is really open to helping you and you never feel afraid to answer questions. I think, if you want, it isn't hard to move up in the company, so there's definitely room to grow. The company operates very much like Google with lots of fun perks like a foosball table, ping pong room, company sponsored activities, post work happy hours!

Cons

It can get a little monotonous sometimes because you're doing the same thing everyday and it can also get very stressful when there's tight timelines and not enough available people to work on projects. Due to the stress level, I do think the compensation is very low and not very competitive with other firms. There seems to be a lot of turnover in the company and the low pay coupled with the high stress levels may be why it's so frequent.

Advice to Management

While people are friendly, there are definitely some people in the company who believe they are higher up in the chain of command than others and that's simply untrue. It is important for the managers in every department to stress that without all departments working together and efficiently, the company would be screwed!

"Career Destroyer"

Former Employee - Programmer in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer in Fresno, CA

I worked at Decipher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was not a single pros for this company..

Cons

Low Salary
    High Stress
    Not much to learn

Advice to Management

Improve employee salary and perks

"Not much of a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Decipher full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's easy to get in Decipher especially for recent graduates since no experience is required.

Cons

The first 6 months were fun as you learn many new things. After that, you'll realize that the job is boring. Not much of a career. Promise things like matching 401k that never happen. Lousy bonus structure which based on company goal. It's perfectly fine if the management do not propose extremely high goal. Haven't gotten bonus for several years since the company never meet their goal. Last but not least, the salary compensation is very low.

Advice to Management

If you advertising the company is mobile-focused, then you should provide the employees the mean to test in these mobile devices. 1 mobile device for 100 employees is not an ideal ratio.