Decision Toolbox Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Decision Toolbox CEO Kim Shepherd
Kim Shepherd

Pros
  • Even though we all work from home offices scattered across the United States, we are like family (in 25 reviews)

• The virtual environment makes for a great work life balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes I miss having being in an office and having face to face interactions with co-workers (in 3 reviews)

• The virtual environment is not for everyone (in 3 reviews)

1. "I don't think there's a better place to work"

I have been working at Decision Toolbox full-time

Pros

I've been treated with nothing but respect since I started. I had no experience, and DT trained me effectively, with minimal hand-holding and micromanagement. We have an All Staff meeting once a year, and I always hear about some bystander commenting on how they can't believe we're coworkers since we seem to enjoy each other so much.

• Engaging work
    • Flexible hours
    • Work remotely

Cons

Compensation is the only thing lacking, but there are opportunities to supplement your income with some effort.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Never let your focus on culture slip. Be transparent with your employees.

"Flexible, respectful and generous"

Pros

I love Decision Toolbox! This company gives it's employees the opportunity to excel at work and in their personal lives. There is a strong culture at DT, one of great integrity, honesty and appreciation. We work hard to provide unparalleled service to our clients and each other.

Even though we all work from home offices scattered across the United States, we are like family. At the center of DT culture is flexibility and understanding. We have children, aging parents, neighbors, friends and communities of our own. When a company allows you to easily integrate your personal life with a work schedule, it is a win-win. Happy employees make the best employees!

Being in the recruitment industry we virtually meet hundreds of thousands of people. That gives us the opportunity to cherry-pick our own staff. That means we get the top talent, if I do say so myself - grin.

Cons

Working at home may be too flexible for some people. I have to be more involved in my community to get face-to-face time with others, and eating healthy with daily exercise should be routine as it is easy to stray.

3. "Fast Food Recruiters"

Current Employee - Recruitment Partner

I have been working at Decision Toolbox part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I REALLY like the person here who invented their applicant tracking system.

Cons

I have found that companies don't really respect us who work here as recruiters. They view us as the Carl's Jr of recruiting and they tolerate us but don't really want to. There is a wide spectrum of recruiting abilities - lots of not so good which perpetuates the weakness of DT in front of companies. What's very troubling also is the inbreeding of management. They could really use someone's view from the outside to breath new life into inbred management. You have to work harder in this recruiting model than other places to make the same amount as somewhere else.

"Sorority Central"

Current Employee - Recruitment Partner

I have been working at Decision Toolbox (More than a year)

Pros

This is W-2 so you don't have to set money aside to pay your taxes. They have (very high cost) medical benefits as well. Perfect for part time or stay at home mom who has some recruiting experience.

Cons

Plenty. Mostly, if you are used to making a lot of money as a recruiter, don't expect that here. The culture is extremely cliquish and female-centric. Someone else said it's like a Curves Convention and that sums it up pretty well.

Advice to Management

It is what it is, I have no advice.

"Caution!"

Pros

You can create your own work life balance!

Cons

DT’s leadership likes to think they have their thumb on “good company culture”, in fact don’t believe the hype; it’s all smoke in mirrors. Perception seems to be more important than reality. If you’re considering an opportunity with DT, be careful you are not sold a “bill of goods”.

"Recruitment Partner"

I have been working at Decision Toolbox full-time

Pros

Flexibility: create your own schedule. Pick and chose the clients/projects you would like to support.
    Virtual: work from home.
    You are encouraged to voice your opinion.
    Ability to make a great income if the right clients and business are there.
    ATS is built by the recruitment team over the years and the technology is fantastic.
    Company offers small company benefits but income potential for a Sr. Recruiter can make up for what is lacking on things like PTO.
    If you are disciplined to work from home, the time breakdown in your week can really work.

Cons

Use your own equipment, they provide you with a phone line and ATS. Phone technology is not the best. You'll need to have a good solid computer. You pay for your own home office expenses. Internet and cell phone are not paid by the company.

Pay is project based, it's a share pay out program OR you are paid hourly per project. If you don't fill a role, comp can be very low. Hourly work pay is fair.

Compensation is very cyclical, if it's slow, pay can drop substantially. There is a ramp up time to get started.

There's a draw against future pay if you don't make the minimum draw.

If you are not disciplined to work by yourself or get too distracted easily, likely not a good fit.
    For a Sr. Recruiter, to earn great pay, you have a manage a large workload and work over 40 hours a week to earn that.

Advice to Management

Offer Recruiters a salary that is not a recoverable draw.

Offer all PTO at the same rate and more time off. Compensate Recruiters when they fill in for others out on PTO.

Check the pulse of the culture more often.

"Sr. Recruitment Partner"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Partner in Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Partner in Lake Havasu City, AZ

Pros

I've been with Decision Toolbox for 12 years and I have to say this is the most amazing company I have ever worked for. We work virtual, I can pick and or decline what clients/projects I want to work with, and not be afraid of losing my job because I decided to not work on a particular project. We are giving great tools to be successful in our roles. We have a support team to help us at any time. I think the most amazing thing about Decision Toolbox is the freedom this company gives us to manage our own work schedule so we can have a better quality of work life balance. Our CEO Kim Sheppard is an amazing person to work for and an inspiration to all of us. Our founder, Jay Barnett is probably one of the smartest persons I know and is always trying to find new ways to make our jobs better. We are truly like a family!

Cons

This is not for everyone. You have to be able to be very self disciplined in order be successful in a virtual environment.

9. "I really found LIFE BALANCE at Decision Toolbox!"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Partner
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Partner

I have been working at Decision Toolbox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Before coming to DT, I had spent many years looking for work/life balance.  Being a wife, mom and career woman is not always easy.  The CEO here calls it LIFE balance, and it really is.  I have been here for 5 and a half years and still feel the same way.

Cons

The virtual environment is not for everyone. You have to be disciplined while you are working and you have to know when to walk away so that you maintain "life balance".

"Great company culture and work environment"

Pros

I've worked for DT almost 5 years. I started at the bottom and worked my way up the ladder through hard work, persistence and dedication. The virtual environment makes for a great work life balance. You can set your own capacity and control how much or how little you wish you work. We're a performance driven workforce, so you get what you put in. Leadership has an open door policy, regular performance reviews, and a plethora of opportunity to expand you skills through a variety of different levels and industry positions. We have great benefits, 401k, and paid vacation/holidays/sick time. I love the people and the love the work I do. DT has offered me the opportunity to make a very comfortable living doing what I love.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons at this time.

"Growing Company - Excellent People - Amazing Service"

Current Employee - Director Business Development in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director Business Development in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Decision Toolbox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

DT is a company that is driven by passion, perseverance and good old hard work. Everyone from the Leadership team to our Writers, Recruiters, Operations/Payroll department and all in between play a huge part in DT's success. WE are not ONE without the OTHER. We are a company that is held together with virtual glue through recognizing greatness and celebrating our mistakes so we can learn from them. We are not your typical 9 to 5 organization but I believe we continue to add strength and value where we can and top grade opportunities as we evolve. Because we are a virtual environment that comes with a lot more structure than some are used to in a normal work environment (meaning KPI accountability). We create the opportunity to drive your own wealth through hard work and through meeting key performance indicators set by the company. We believe in providing excellence to our customers and to our employees. We are a company that is constantly learning and continually improving. If you want to punch a clock this is not the place for you. We want to have people that have ideas, that think on their feet and continue to strive for perfection. We are not afraid to hear criticism but if you bring it please bring a solution along with it so we can evolve. I have been with this company almost 10 years (soon) and have seen this company grow leaps and bounds. All companies have their growing pains and we are no different. But the one thing that I can truly say with all honesty is that our company does care about the people they employee, the customers they serve and the product that they deliver.

Cons

At times every company struggles with the best way to communicate with their employees. Although our goal is to always be transparent there are always times when we could have delivered information a little differently.

Advice to Management

There will always be nay sayers (sp?) in any organization. The interesting thing about being virtual and driven by virtual communication is that it's quickly shared when things go sour with an employee. The flip side is it is not so quickly shared when things are happy. Not because they don't want to share their happiness but because they are busy striving to create productive and wealth driving opportunities on their desk. WE need to continue doing what we are doing and listening to our employees and striving to continue to build a fantastic company that I have come to love and think of as family.