Decision Toolbox Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Decision Toolbox CEO Kim Shepherd
Kim Shepherd

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Even though we all work from home offices scattered across the United States, we are like family (in 24 reviews)

• The virtual environment makes for a great work life balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The virtual environment is not for everyone (in 3 reviews)

• You pay for your own home office expenses (in 2 reviews)

1. "I don't think there's a better place to work"

I have been working at Decision Toolbox full-time

Pros

I've been treated with nothing but respect since I started. I had no experience, and DT trained me effectively, with minimal hand-holding and micromanagement. We have an All Staff meeting once a year, and I always hear about some bystander commenting on how they can't believe we're coworkers since we seem to enjoy each other so much.

• Engaging work
    • Flexible hours
    • Work remotely

Cons

Compensation is the only thing lacking, but there are opportunities to supplement your income with some effort.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Never let your focus on culture slip. Be transparent with your employees.

"Great place to work, if you are self motivated"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Decision Toolbox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

100% virtual with total flexibility around how much work you take on, where you live and what hours you work.
    A leadership team that always wanted to do the right thing.
    High level of trust and support between employees.

Cons

You have to provide your own computer etc.
    You have to be very self motivated.
    You have to be very focused to make good money, but you can do it.
    There are lulls when you do not have quite enough on your plate.

Advice to Management

Asking for feedback in a group setting is not always enough as many of us are not willing to speak out. You may have to use more surveys and one on one meetings.

"Flexible, respectful and generous"

Pros

I love Decision Toolbox! This company gives it's employees the opportunity to excel at work and in their personal lives. There is a strong culture at DT, one of great integrity, honesty and appreciation. We work hard to provide unparalleled service to our clients and each other.

Even though we all work from home offices scattered across the United States, we are like family. At the center of DT culture is flexibility and understanding. We have children, aging parents, neighbors, friends and communities of our own. When a company allows you to easily integrate your personal life with a work schedule, it is a win-win. Happy employees make the best employees!

Being in the recruitment industry we virtually meet hundreds of thousands of people. That gives us the opportunity to cherry-pick our own staff. That means we get the top talent, if I do say so myself - grin.

Cons

Working at home may be too flexible for some people. I have to be more involved in my community to get face-to-face time with others, and eating healthy with daily exercise should be routine as it is easy to stray.

"Caution!"

Pros

You can create your own work life balance!

Cons

DT’s leadership likes to think they have their thumb on “good company culture”, in fact don’t believe the hype; it’s all smoke in mirrors. Perception seems to be more important than reality. If you’re considering an opportunity with DT, be careful you are not sold a “bill of goods”.

"Sr. Recruitment Partner"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Partner in Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Partner in Lake Havasu City, AZ

Pros

I've been with Decision Toolbox for 12 years and I have to say this is the most amazing company I have ever worked for. We work virtual, I can pick and or decline what clients/projects I want to work with, and not be afraid of losing my job because I decided to not work on a particular project. We are giving great tools to be successful in our roles. We have a support team to help us at any time. I think the most amazing thing about Decision Toolbox is the freedom this company gives us to manage our own work schedule so we can have a better quality of work life balance. Our CEO Kim Sheppard is an amazing person to work for and an inspiration to all of us. Our founder, Jay Barnett is probably one of the smartest persons I know and is always trying to find new ways to make our jobs better. We are truly like a family!

Cons

This is not for everyone. You have to be able to be very self disciplined in order be successful in a virtual environment.

6. "I really found LIFE BALANCE at Decision Toolbox!"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Partner
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Partner

I have been working at Decision Toolbox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Before coming to DT, I had spent many years looking for work/life balance.  Being a wife, mom and career woman is not always easy.  The CEO here calls it LIFE balance, and it really is.  I have been here for 5 and a half years and still feel the same way.

Cons

The virtual environment is not for everyone. You have to be disciplined while you are working and you have to know when to walk away so that you maintain "life balance".

"Great company culture and work environment"

Pros

I've worked for DT almost 5 years. I started at the bottom and worked my way up the ladder through hard work, persistence and dedication. The virtual environment makes for a great work life balance. You can set your own capacity and control how much or how little you wish you work. We're a performance driven workforce, so you get what you put in. Leadership has an open door policy, regular performance reviews, and a plethora of opportunity to expand you skills through a variety of different levels and industry positions. We have great benefits, 401k, and paid vacation/holidays/sick time. I love the people and the love the work I do. DT has offered me the opportunity to make a very comfortable living doing what I love.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons at this time.

"Growing Company - Excellent People - Amazing Service"

Current Employee - Director Business Development in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director Business Development in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Decision Toolbox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

DT is a company that is driven by passion, perseverance and good old hard work. Everyone from the Leadership team to our Writers, Recruiters, Operations/Payroll department and all in between play a huge part in DT's success. WE are not ONE without the OTHER. We are a company that is held together with virtual glue through recognizing greatness and celebrating our mistakes so we can learn from them. We are not your typical 9 to 5 organization but I believe we continue to add strength and value where we can and top grade opportunities as we evolve. Because we are a virtual environment that comes with a lot more structure than some are used to in a normal work environment (meaning KPI accountability). We create the opportunity to drive your own wealth through hard work and through meeting key performance indicators set by the company. We believe in providing excellence to our customers and to our employees. We are a company that is constantly learning and continually improving. If you want to punch a clock this is not the place for you. We want to have people that have ideas, that think on their feet and continue to strive for perfection. We are not afraid to hear criticism but if you bring it please bring a solution along with it so we can evolve. I have been with this company almost 10 years (soon) and have seen this company grow leaps and bounds. All companies have their growing pains and we are no different. But the one thing that I can truly say with all honesty is that our company does care about the people they employee, the customers they serve and the product that they deliver.

Cons

At times every company struggles with the best way to communicate with their employees. Although our goal is to always be transparent there are always times when we could have delivered information a little differently.

Advice to Management

There will always be nay sayers (sp?) in any organization. The interesting thing about being virtual and driven by virtual communication is that it's quickly shared when things go sour with an employee. The flip side is it is not so quickly shared when things are happy. Not because they don't want to share their happiness but because they are busy striving to create productive and wealth driving opportunities on their desk. WE need to continue doing what we are doing and listening to our employees and striving to continue to build a fantastic company that I have come to love and think of as family.

9. "Most amazing company I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Partner in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Partner in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Decision Toolbox full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been working at Decision Toolbox full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for Decision Toolbox for 12 years, and I can honestly say it has been the BEST company I've ever worked for.
    I have the flexibility to work from home, earn a great income consistently year after year, and partner with the best leadership and co-workers in the world.
    I also have a tremendous list of clients who I am fortunate to work with.
    Our management team is always brainstorming for ways to increase business and help us succeed in our careers, while offering new ways for us to increase our compensation. We have weekly training sessions and "pod calls" with our peers to put our heads together and help to successfully fill our positions and increase our client base!
    Decision Toolbox has grown exponentially since I started working here, and we are now consistently winning award after award as one of the best virtual companies to work for in CA.
    I plan to stay until I retire, or for as long as they will have me!

Cons

Miss seeing my co-workers more often!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

10. "When your co-workers become like family"

Current Employee - Client Success Manager in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Client Success Manager in Phila, PA

Pros

I came to work here five years ago after being in business for myself for many years. This company has allowed me to share my business knowledge as well as grow professionally. The work/ life balance here is amazing. We do work very hard, but we never miss a life event for our families. No questions are ever asked by the leadership team. In fact, they promote family time being just as important as work time.

Decision Toolbox does hire the best in the business. I would put our recruiting, sourcing and writing teams up against any other out there. We think outside the box and use tools in "our toolbox" to be solution oriented. Continuous improvement is part of our culture here, which enables us to grow and learn from every experience.

We are like family here. To me, that is unbelievable as we sometimes only get to see each other once or twice a year. However, the relationships you can build here are real and full of substance.

Cons

East coast visits or events. We get lonely over here!

Advice to Management

Always be as transparent as possible with employees. This will only continue to make us stronger.