Decker Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Decker Communications Chief Executive Officer Ben Decker
Ben Decker
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Decker Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exceptional company. Truly some of the greatest people I've ever met. Strong cultural values that everyone believes in and upholds. Transparency from management. High-profile clients. Super convenient location. Free drinks and snacks.

Cons

None that I can think of.

2. "Director Strategic Relations"

I have been working at Decker Communications full-time

Pros

This is a people company! We all share in the passion to transform, uncover and discover our clients potential. It is so rewarding!

Cons

Open office concept. I miss my office

"Solid Company Great People"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Decker Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Decker are amazing. Everyone is a great person and they all work hard to achieve their goals. I'd recommend working here.

Cons

Management is a little disjointed. Because it's a family run company their is oftentimes a risk averse nature to the company that limits their ability for growth.

Advice to Management

Set better metrics, and hold yourself more accountable to your own goals. Additionally, look into finding salespeople that are more aggressive and working harder to deliver goals of the company.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Trainer and Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Trainer and Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Decker Communications (More than a year)

Pros

At the time, there was a lot of excitement for growth opportunities and possible advancement. Burt Decker, the founder, had created a good foundation with a program that stands the test of time. The company is well know in the Bay Area and around the country. Some say a standard in the presentation skills training industry.

Cons

Too much control of content by sales consultants wanting to please clients. Not enough originality nor ability to participate by trainers, even ones who had original ideas.

Advice to Management

Open up to new ideas and let programs on organizational culture fill in your bouquet of offerings. Be open to trainers who showed originality and sophistication and encourage ideas for everyone.

"Incredible!"

I have been working at Decker Communications part-time

Pros

They say the people make the place. This is the best group of people you could ever hope to work with "under one roof". The care that is put into things makes all the difference. I love the transformation that clients experience going through our program, and to be a part of that is pretty amazing. I feel very grateful to be a part of this team. Making our clients and each other look like rock stars - now that's a noble value!

Cons

As much as I love to travel, the amount can be a bit challenging for some in this part-time trainer role.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"My 5+ years at Decker"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Decker Communications part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Greatest team of people with whom I've ever worked. Everyone from the admin group on up jumps in and works as a team to ensure successful trainings.
    I have lost track of how many participants have come through Decker trainings and said it was life changing for them. This includes high level execs, doctors, engineers, sales and all levels of managers.
    There has been tremendous growth at Decker in the past five years and that curve still seems to be on an upward swing. This is a culture where high performers thrive.

Cons

Sales people occasionally travel. Trainers do lots of travel, domestic & international, so travel averse people need not apply.

Advice to Management

Continue to appreciate and respect your hard working employees.

"Great mission and work culture"

I worked at Decker Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decker has a great culture, a lot I take for granted now at my current company. It starts with the top and flows down through management. They foster a close-knit team bond, are approachable, and value EVERY employee.
    They are transparent, authentic, and always professional. It helps to work somewhere that WALKS THE WALK so to speak. Decker is all about transforming communication and encourages their employees to model it in everyday practice. This was my first job out of college and to be offered their world class training course for free just to understand the company better is pretty amazing.
    Conveniently located, positive attitudes, and a snack room that will be your best and worst friend :)

Cons

Being a communications training firm, most employees are extroverted which can be a lot for those who aren't. If you're not open to be more team-oriented and like closed doors this might not be the best fit for you.

Advice to Management

As this company grows, it will be exciting and interesting to see the career paths and mentoring practices for junior level employees.

""Go big or GO HOME?......I chose the latter, since the company doesn't let you grow""

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Decker Communications as a contractor

Pros

The quality of the materials and training is outstanding
    Great office location in downtown SF
    Some managers are easy to deal with (most aren't)
    Good place to learn & then go to another company where they will support you more

Cons

Don't "practice what they preach"
    The President of the Company is a control freak who treats everyone like crap
    The CEO doesn't know how to relate to other employees
    Little creative input in training and coaching - their way or not at all. too rigid, stale and packaged
    Lots of travel with no concern for family or personal obligations or legally allowed time off
    Not very good follow up with customers

Advice to Management

treat employees with respect - you'll be amazed how much more productivity and energy you will see
    don't solicit advice and suggestions if you don't plan to implement anything - ever
    provide more leads and opportunity for internal growth and advancement
    lighten up - it's not always about the numbers
    stop micromanaging - you will continue to scare good people and awesome trainers away

"Best decision of my career"

I have been working at Decker Communications full-time

Pros

- Some of the best people I've met and had the privilege to working with
    - There's a lot of potential for growth both personally and for the company
    - Management has a ton of experience in this field and is open to feedback
    - The office culture is great and motivating
    - PTO, 401K, and Comp are fair and competitive
    - Amazing location
    - If you're smart and willing to put in the time you'll succeed here

Cons

- The only reason I'm writing this is because when I was looking for a job I took Glassdoor very seriously and would have never considered a company with a low rating. In this case, I would have made a big mistake.
    - Also, no one told me to write this (a feeling I got with a lot of current employee reviews)

Advice to Management

- I don't have any advice that I wouldn't give face-to-face.

"Beware of Decker Communications who hire salespeople to get their contacts then fire them"

Pros

Base salary and commission are paid

Cons

Mediocre product that this company claims to customize this program for each of their clients, but they don't. All of their sales staff either quit or got fired in March 2014. The president is rude to the salespeople, thinks lowly of them and she can't help but show it. Also, NO LEADS are generated. This company doesn't know how to generate business.

Advice to Management

Revamp your products and be nice to salespeople