Decker Truck Line Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Don Decker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Wonderful place to work, Decker!"

Current Employee - Operations in Fort Dodge, IA
    Current Employee - Operations in Fort Dodge, IA

I have been working at Decker Truck Line full-time

Pros

Family owned, loyal, long standing ownership since 1931.

Dynamic, metric driven leadership with clear focus and engagement to the truck line, the logistics group, and the spotting service.

High level of recognizing and applauding a job well done.

Current business growth trajectory will create many opportunities in the future.

Demanding but equally rewarding atmosphere. If you don't like being held accountable (for positives and negatives) then you probably shouldn't work here.

Really recognizing drivers for job well done... gave away cash to the divisional Drivers of the Year and the Grand Champion was given a Harley Davidson Motorcylce!

Cons

Being located in Fort Dodge works very well for my family and many other families, but if you're looking for glitz and glamour you should probably go work in a major metro area.

Advice to Management

Stay on the course of daily KPI management along with recognition and rewardance.

2. "Not Impressed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Dodge, IA

I worked at Decker Truck Line full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paid weekly I guess

Cons

When you present a problem to HR they twist it around on you and make you feel like complete crap. They will negotiate hours with their favorites but not if you're new.

Advice to Management

Get rid of everyone you have in upper management in Fort Dodge main office. They treat their employees and drivers like dirt. Also don't get rid of someone's job while they're on maternity leave and stick them somewhere they don't wanna be.

3. "OTR company driver"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Dodge, IA

I worked at Decker Truck Line (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere where the company understands the value of a driver. Good benefits. A great professional team in the administration. Thorough training and safety practices.

Cons

Miles could be short from time to time. Maintenance could be tough to schedule around hos requirements that would effectively benefit driver.

Advice to Management

Figure out the e-log dispatch and try to develops more drop and hook freight.

4. "CAN'T BELIEVE HOW QUICK THEY ARE TO LEAVE U HANGING"

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Fort Dodge, IA
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Fort Dodge, IA

I worked at Decker Truck Line full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great co-workers as we all were in the same boat. We were able to vent to one another to release the steam

Cons

the benefits are really expensive and were really killing my paycheck. We fought hard for the drivers but our hands were tied due to management.

Advice to Management

get back to the days when you were loyle to youre employees. Also get health insurance that is actually good for the employees

5. "Operations"

I have been working at Decker Truck Line full-time

Pros

Company is laid back, relaxed atmosphere. Easy going about lunch breaks and offices are nice and clean and spacious.

Cons

Very poor organizational structure and leadership. Turnover among leadership has been extremely high in the past 12 months. New titles created, old titles eliminated, new people hired and then fired so often it is hard to believe their is a plan with all of the turnover. Job stability is very questionable, long term employees are fired seemingly without reason which seems to be a by product of the lack of leadership or direction. Health insurance and 401k contributions by the company are terrible, worst I have seen for a company of this size. If you are considering relocating to work at this company, think again. A number of people have tried to move to Fort Dodge, IA to work here and been unhappy. Do not consider working here unless you already live in this area and need a job. If I could quit I would, but there isn't anywhere else in this town to work.

Advice to Management

Find some direction and clarity and communicate it to your employees. Your operations team is noticing all of the random hiring and firing, with random promotions and demotions. It doesn't make anyone feel very secure in their own job, much less have confidence that management knows what it is doing.

"A company filled with lies."

I have been working at Decker Truck Line full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work environment is enjoyable because of coworkers.

Cons

Was told that I would receive annual raises but the truth is Decker only gives company wide raises every 5 years that is less than the cost of living increase for 1 year. They make a habit of hiring new employees with no experience at a higher wage than the employees that have been loyal to the company for several years. Supervisors don't listen to possible improvements on a process, they instead say they will look into it or bring it up at the next meeting but it is never talked about again.

"Truck Drivers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Dodge, IA

I worked at Decker Truck Line full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smaller family oriented company that is looking to grow and a company thay takes care of its loyal and dedicated employees.

Cons

Still operates the "old-school" way where the bottom line is all that matters. Drivers are expected to do what it takes to keep customers happy.

"Driver's view"

Current Employee - Driver of Truck #2251 in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Driver of Truck #2251 in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Decker Truck Line full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The equipment in mostly in good condition. The majority of dispatchers/fleet managers are trying their best within the company limitations.

Cons

18 months ago, when I hired on with Decker, they stressed MANY TIMES how driver friendly the company is. I really7 should have wondered about the truth of that statement when I saw that ALL the staff is kept behind locked doors. But--I hoped for the best. Over time I have learned the company really doesn't have a high regard for their drivers. I decided that I could live with the situation until Friday, Sept. 4th 2015. I was in Cheyenne WY with a Tuesday delivery in the Seattle area and because of the holiday, there was no chance of an early unload.. Since I live in the Missoula area, I asked if I could drop the trailer in the Missoula yard- go home for a couple of days then come back Monday to complete delivery in Seattle, WA. I was told NO PER THE MISSOULA TERMINAL MANAGER because it was a whole 39 miles out of route. Sooo---they seem to prefer I sit in a truck stop for 2 days rather than get a little quality family time. ALL DRIVERS know family time is very limited at best. This really doesn't show me a "DRIVER FRIENDLY COMPANY". There are rumors of a high turnover rate. HUH!! WONDER WHY?!?!?!

Advice to Management

Try to remember that your drivers are the front line of your company. Without drivers you have no company!

9. "decker is a awesome company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Dodge, IA

I have been working at Decker Truck Line full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to work at

Cons

None I can think of
    About decker

"Worse job I've ever had."

Pros

There really is no pros to working at this company.if you want to be just a number on a payroll then this is the place for you.they care nothing for their employees.

Cons

Low pay,health insurance is outrageous and is not at all any good.

Advice to Management

Try to be more compassionate to employees.they are more than just a number.