Deem Reviews | Glassdoor

Deem Reviews

Updated June 26, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • cool work life balance and quality canteen food (in 12 reviews)

• Autonomy and potential to work from home (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management had a history of loss of focus on the core business and seemed unable to learn from its distractions (in 16 reviews)

• Upper management made statements about growth and stability that were negated by their actions within two to three days of making announcements (in 9 reviews)

""Newbie""

I have been working at Deem full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of people here have been with the company for 5+ years. For a software company that says so much. I have not been employed for 5 years yet so I am still considered a "newbie". During its life, Deem has seen some dark days and I have been here during it. I can say now unequivocally that it has turned a big corner. some of these reviews from three years ago were warranted but the recent good ones are true. Management care, people care, good pay, fun environment, good product, buzz is starting and there is transparency. I am proud to say that I stuck it out during the dark days to say that I can see the company the way it is now - so much better.

Cons

While the transparency is great we want more. Some initiatives take too long to get off the ground. Want more sales updates because they are interesting and informative. No 401k matching and food isn't catered everyday. THe focal performance appraisal process is very long and time consuming.

Advice to Management

Keep holding people accountable and responsible. Fix infrastructure problems quicker.

"Culture."

I have been working at Deem full-time

Pros

The culture here has changed tremendously. Ive been here for a long time, and initially it was great. Then there was a rough patch. But now, things are looking up. We as employees are recognized for our work in a couple of different ways, there is a cool contest going on and a ton more transparency than in years past. Sales presented in a meeting last week and things are going well for us. Our product is getting better and better. Training and development is at the foreground. I dig the clubs we've got going on too.

Cons

It is stressful and there is pressure. You get your stuff done and you don't have to worry about it. They don't pay 100% of the benefits premiums. Meeting heavy organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to everyone. Sales - keep winning those deals. Marketing keep doing your thing because if looks pretty awesome. Keep hiring great new talent like the people who have joined recently.

"Review"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deem full-time

Pros

generally, it is a good company

Cons

not much to say about con part

Advice to Management

nothing to suggest to manager

"Great company, fantastic technology, good benefits, amazing employees."

I have been working at Deem full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Deem is a hidden gem in the Silicon Valley. The company has some great technology and lots of good product assets. The management team is a good mix of industry veterans and entrepreneur skills. The employees that Deem hires are smart, hard working, dedicated and committed to doing the right thing for the company and its customers. Sure, it's easy to point to Deem's past challenges, but the past is the past. It's a whole new executive team who now have focus and ambition to drive the company to be a leader in the industry and WIN. It's an exciting place to work and it's a place that I could recommend to my friends. The CTO is leading the charge to create a great culture and fun place work.

Cons

It's a work hard play hard culture. Some people have long commutes to the city. There are still some folks from the old days that need to move on.

Advice to Management

Be bold about the company and our products.

"Great company to work for!"

I worked at Deem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers who are also friends
    Great benefits
    Unique product
    Challenging Technology
    Fun atmosphere- the staff goes out of their way to work hard and still have time for fun.
    I miss this company. The only reason I left is because the commute was too long since I live in the South Bay.

Cons

Long work hours
    The company direction became clear just as I was leaving the company.
    Some leaders are a bit arrogant, but that is to be expected.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee base. I hear there is a recognition program in place which is great! It's important to keep that up and I wish that had been around when I was there. Stay with your current direction and you will succeed.

"Market Specialist"

Former Employee - Market Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Market Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Deem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, good conceptual product, coined commerce-as-a-service (CAAS) nice to have worked with innovative products.

Cons

Product didn't have a proof of concept which ultimately was the demise of the division.

Advice to Management

Improve your training program, listen to your sales and marketing force and implement a strategy that addresses the bottle necks that the font line tells you about.

"An opportunity to do big things"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is my first "startup" company. My previous employer was a large company and the transition to Deem was really nice. People were helpful and friendly. My previous employer was great, I just expected people at a smaller company to be back stabbers. People at Deem really work together. There are some communication mishaps from time to time but everyone wants to see eachother thrive. Recent new leadership has brought a fresh breath of air into the company. New recognition programs and thoughtfulness is creeping back into the culture - from what I had heard, during the bank era it was a different company. I haven't been here as long as most but I can see a difference from the time I joined to right now. We have fun. Plus, there is a beer club every Wednesday from 4 until whenever we want to stop.

Cons

Focus and execution but judging from the all hands meeting our new CTO held last week, Deem is in great hands. It is just trying hard not to go back to the old ways. Speaking of old ways, some people can't let some of the past go but to their credit, some of the past from what they have told me was ugly. Thankfully those days are gone. Another "con" is that there is a lot to do still which can mean long hours so depending on where you are in life, this might not be good for you.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on people and the new roadmap. Privileged to be a part of shaping the new Deem.

"Making a Strong Comeback"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deem full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ok, so the company has had many challenges in the past but any company that's 15 years old has some legacy. It's been tough up to 2014 but now things are turning. Deem does operate in a large and well known market space (travel, expense, shopping, procurement - creating an employee/spend suite) and is now well positioned with key assets to compete. New sales, finance, marketing, and technology leadership are quickly turning the ship around and making it an exciting place to work. Most of the naysayers are gone and the leaders are recruiting top talent. The company is now focused; putting non-core products on hold which has been a big complaint previously of taking on too much. There's lots of opportunities for individual growth and now company culture looks to be top of mind. People are beginning to have fun again and it's showing with increased company wins and growth. Innovation is now a top focus and the company has technology leaders onboard that are leading the charge. Most importantly, they are focused on making individual contributors successful by over communications and driving a performance driven culture.

Cons

Company is still cleaning up the older legacy products and infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate and seek feedback from the team. Focus and follow through.

"Tired of the Naysayers"

I have been working at Deem full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Here is the lowdown -

This place wasn't fun or all that great for a number of years. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't good. Some leaders did what they could while others were just bad. No one fired them.

CEO will talk about the bank era. A lot of that is true. It was a zoo. A circus.

The company was recapitalized in 2013. New investors. New company with some of the same problems. A lot of the people here like myself are legacy people who have gone through the ups and downs.

Piece by piece the company is changing for the good. Sales was horrible two years ago. Now we have a leader that is showing results. Engineering has two new leaders that have been here for less than three months and has accomplished more for us than what the predecessor did.

The CFO that has been here for over a year is smart and honest.

New marketing department is smart and understands what Deem needs.

Our sales are getting better and better.

Cons

The execution is being worked on but Deem is a work in progress. Not close to being perfect. Long hours and constantly being bashed on on this website. Some smart people have left.

Advice to Management

this is difficult. Talk to everyone, listen to what they have to say. You might be pleasently surprised.

"On the Upswing"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Deem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Deem, virtually everyone has the same focus - driving growth by providing amazing products and services to the market. While the company has certainly been through some down times, the new generation of Deem employees are dedicated and capable of making the company a success. Management genuinely wants every employee to have a great place to work.

Cons

Expectations are high and it is difficult to catch up to existing competitors and become relevant in new markets. This is effectively a start up business and by nature a challenging place to work.

Advice to Management

Be realistic about Deem's products and the market.