Deem Reviews | Glassdoor

Deem Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • cool work life balance and quality canteen food (in 12 reviews)

• Autonomy and potential to work from home (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management had a history of loss of focus on the core business and seemed unable to learn from its distractions (in 16 reviews)

• Upper management made statements about growth and stability that were negated by their actions within two to three days of making announcements (in 9 reviews)

1. "useful"

Pros

got to learn a lot

Cons

no free food most of the time

"I've been given opportunities to work in my strength areas and I am trusted by boss."

I have been working at Deem full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment. Products & engineering talent are valued as the crown jewels of the company. All ideas are considered in problem-solving.

Cons

Finance group has control issues without the organizational and leadership skills to back it up. Bit of disconnect between product management and their relationship with customers/partners and engineering staff who have to make good on promises made on their behalf.

Advice to Management

More transparency about financials

"Overall positive - cool technology, professional and friendly engineers"

Pros

This is a SaaS company with large customer base, you got to learn the staging/deployment/support aspect after product is released, good experience to have from career perspective.
    People I have seen so far are all very professional and hard-working.
    Technology stack is quite cool and widely used open source standards, which again serves one well from career perspective. They also have sophiscated branching mechanism, automated build process, integrated mandatory code review, google doc/wiki for collaboration etc.
    It's a dynamic place with lots of energy, but people are not expected to work 14 hours a day.
    Sales seem to have uncanning ability to sell, coming from another company where product is rock solid but sales is weak, I appreciate this more than anything.

Cons

Seems too many priorities and projects going on at the same time. Upper management should look across the board and making hard choices.
    Some of the logistics can use some improvement - no org chart, no seating chart, which they said they're working on.

"Dynamic Company, Strong Momentum, Amazing Strategic Partners"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

Pros

Rearden has a huge vision, lots of really smart people working to deliver it, and apparently strong financials to support it. The Marketing team grew dramatically over the last six months and has become a critical mass of strong players making fast progress. It was a hard decision to leave when I was offered a personal career growth opportunity at another start-up.

Cons

It's a broad and complex business that requires constant re-balancing of resources across current customers vs. future vision, direct sales vs. channels, buy-side vs. sell-side, enterprise vs. SBM, etc.

"Great program in hiring, set me up with a buddy, everyone friendly, lots of stuff to learn"

Current Employee - Individual Contributor
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor

Pros

Before I started here, I was nervous because of the stuff posted on here. I have actually found the place to be friendly and my peers work hard to do the right thing. There are some tensions you see between people arguing loudly about their point of view and I turn around and see them say I'm sorry.

People genuinely help you out to learn and I've felt comfortable asking questions to anyone.

Workspace is fantastic and encourages everyone to talk amongst teams very easily.

Cons

Critical knowledge amongst key engineers not well distributed. One or two people seem to hold the keys to all the knowledge in the firm.

The company seems like they are cheap on dumb things like phones, paper supplies.

"Solid company....top to bottom"

Pros

-strong work ethics
    -good compensation levels

Cons

-discipline to stay focused on smaller tactical goals

Advice to Management

-maintain discipline

"has big upside if executed"

Pros

Equity opportunity in well funded pre-IPO co. Could be a game changer on the web if vision is executed. Engineer talent is strong. CEO has a big ego drive and wants to win. Have some very strong engineering leaders who joined in the past year which is good to see.

Cons

less a downside more of a challenge, execution is hard.

Advice to Management

share knowledge and continually remind those deeper in the co of the big picture vision. it is easy for a developer cranking code to get lost in the day to day and they need to see the big picture to stay motivated. also, lead more.

"Sound vision with the opportunity for greatness...faint of heart need not apply."

Current Employee - Field Staff
    Current Employee - Field Staff

Pros

Obviously, it is a pre-IPO company with a a head start on a vision of greatness. If executed properly, the potential for the platform is astronomical. Frankly, it is cool to be in on something game changing for potentially commerce as a whole, and be a part of building that greatness.

Cons

Some of what is built and marketed appears to be done within a bubble. Rather than seek assistance or even feedback from power users and support staff who use the product and hear feedback from actual customers, they rely on the clairvoyance and clinical user studies. With a bit of communication, there are a number of projects that could have been done better the first time rather than redone to fix what could have been avoided. On the flip side, it has been my observation that this process was prevalent at my previous employers as well.

Also, remember, this is a PRIVATELY funded venture, and with private funding comes risks. Rather than be caught unaware, senior management was proactive in reducing expenses (translation: firing people) to position the company for success in a down economy. Realistically, going back for more funds in this market would be extremely expensive or even impossible, so they made cuts quickly to position properly. I don't fault them for that.

Advice to Management

Encourage and institutionalize the leveraging of internal experience in addition to the standard mantras of justification to fix things before they are built and avoid wasted effort.