Deer Valley Unified School District Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Deer Valley Unified School District President Kimberly K. Fisher
Kimberly K. Fisher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The district does provide frequent, free and excellent professional development opportunities (in 6 reviews)

• Lots of professional development opportunities (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay per state of Arizona (in 7 reviews)

• And then you have Special Education or as the district likes to call it - Student Support Services - a continuum of services (in 3 reviews)

1. "Decent District"

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Deer Valley Unified School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of training and support

Cons

Many administrative tasks that take focus away from instructional time/planning time.

Advice to Management

Be mindful of how many programs you roll out as they take time away from a teacher's personal life in order to implement.

2. "High School Teacher"

Former Employee - High School Teacher
    Former Employee - High School Teacher

I worked at Deer Valley Unified School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fellow teachers, collaboration, time off

Cons

salary, job aides, administration, no one backs the teachers, parents are running the district

"Teacher"

I worked at Deer Valley Unified School District full-time

Pros

Pros:
    -There are several special education teachers at each school. This allows for decent case load sizes and support (given that you have a good team).
    -The district believes in inclusion. While this is overall a good thing, I think they should look at the individual needs of the students more. Full inclusion is not the end all be all and I think the district loses sight of that.
    -There is a special education strategist at each school who offers support and help.
    -Most parents at this school were active and involved.
    -The teachers at the school I taught at were wonderful and really made the school great for the kids.

Cons

Cons:
    -The school I taught at likes to lump all kids in special education together. For instance, you are expected to service a wide range of kids at one time. You may be providing pull out services for a child with a learning disability, while at the same time servicing a child with violent outbursts and behaviors.
    -There was very little support provided from administration.
    -The school I worked at, and even the district as a whole at times, is very cliquey.
    -The district tends to lump all special education teachers together. .
    -HR does not provide a lot of information about the 301 pay. I was told that it would be “at least” a certain amount. When the pay came, it was significantly less than stated previously even though I met all of the criteria and did well on my evaluations.
    -The work-life balance for special education teachers is horrible. The MET and IEP meetings are held before and after school and you have to attend meetings for other students who you don’t service as well. These meetings are in addition to mentor meetings, new hire meetings, and other required school events.
    -The benefits here, especially the health insurance, are awful.

"High School Teacher"

I have been working at Deer Valley Unified School District full-time

Pros

Great support from District for new teachers, incredible growth.

Cons

Salaries are great for new teachers but not fair raise for current teachers

Advice to Management

School district should try to keep more teachers by giving a fair raise to teachers with one or more years in the district.

5. "Teacher"

I worked at Deer Valley Unified School District full-time

Pros

Supportive staff at certain schools.

Cons

Micro-managed and very very very low salary (second lowest in US)

Advice to Management

higher salary; better benefits

"Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Deer Valley Unified School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy employment process. Not much more that I would consider positive.

Cons

Low pay. Extra work for no compensation. Preps taken away for no compensation. Unfriendly staff. Rude parents. Gossipy teachers who constantly stab people in the back.

Advice to Management

Start giving a crap about your employees.

"teacher"

I have been working at Deer Valley Unified School District (Less than a year)

Pros

not a lot, except there are a lot of hard-working teachers in the district. amazing people to work with

Cons

low salary, curriculum, procedures constantly change

8. "Substitute Teacher"

Current Employee - Certified Teacher in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Certified Teacher in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Deer Valley Unified School District part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DVUSD is one of the better school districts I have worked in the state of Arizona but there are some drawbacks.

Cons

Often schools are short substitutes for the day and assign the sub's prep hour to covering another class. The district is required to pay full time teachers 30 dollars for covering the same class so naturally they like to choose to subs because they do not pay them. This means that a sub working in DVUSD gets no overtime, no benefits whatsoever, and no control over whether they want to cover another class for free or not. I find this arrangement woefully inadequate and unfair. Subs are required to have all the credentials a full time teacher would have, a college degree, all endorsements and licenses , yet the pay and benefits are minimal considering the year is 2017 and sub pay has not been raised in years.

Advice to Management

Pay subs what they are worth and offer an incentive for those who want to cover other classes during their prep.

9. "Substitute Teacher"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

Pros

Good online interface, convenient to get jobs, receive calls about jobs as well, flexible schedule, organized.

Cons

Inconsistent work, but that's the nature of the position.

10. "Great coworkers, low pay"

Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Deer Valley Unified School District part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good medical/dental benefits. One of few professions in which you are guaranteed a pension. Great work, life balance especially for those who have kids.

Cons

Very low pay for the job you do. No raises. DVUSD is one of the lowest paying school districts for paraprofessionals. They cut your job if student enrollment is low.