Defense Contract Audit Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • Work-life balance since they allow teleworking (in 28 reviews)

• Great training and very flexible work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Each change of supervisor or office is like a new job because there is little to no consistency to how things are done (in 7 reviews)

• If you are a male seeking a career with promotion beyond GS-12, go somewhere else (in 7 reviews)

"Field Audit Office Assistant for Quality"

Current Employee - FAO Assistant for Quality in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - FAO Assistant for Quality in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Defense Contract Audit Agency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work, good benefits, flexible schedule, helping government provide oversight of Federal Defense contracts

Cons

Sometimes not many opportunities for advancement

2. "Not that bad for a year or two."

Former Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC

I worked at Defense Contract Audit Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, federal benefits. Great alternative for those who do not want to work public accounting hours, and you do not need a CPA to advance at the moment but this could change if the agency is outsourced to the big 4 firms. I recently got hired at a better agency that is widely known as one of the best agencies to work for in the government, but this job for a little under a year was fine. I would never want to make this my career however.

Cons

My manager was pretty good and had reasonable expectations. However, the other supervisor in my office was absurd with her demands and made the auditors on her team leave the agency in a hurry. If you get a good supervisor then this is a pretty good gig for an accounting major that does not want to work in public accounting.

Advice to Management

I would do something about terrible supervisors if you want to retain good auditors. I was with the agency for under a year and I saw 6 auditors leave because of a bad supervisor. On the other hand, my supervisor was widely respected and liked and my team did not lose a single auditor.

3. "Auditor"

Current Employee - Auditor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Auditor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Defense Contract Audit Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits rank nearly on par with other federal agencies.

Cons

My office doesn't do "audits", but CYA. Every audit done here the last ten years assesses the highest level of risk, but each risk assessment wastes dozens of hours from duplication. You dare not draw from prior audits, either.

The work is mind-numbingly boring, and does NOT protect the taxpayer.

If you are a male seeking a career with promotion beyond GS-12, go somewhere else. This agency is 60% female, and leadership is predominantly women. In our region 3/4 of the supervisors up to the Regional Director are women.

I work with two dozen highly proficient auditors. Over the past three years, one male has been promoted, as opposed to six females.

Advice to Management

None - this agency does nothing of any consequence. They don't back auditors when DCMA routinely fails to sustain costs we question. They talk through their rears when it comes to finding better ways to do things.

Supervisors "manage" from behind their desks. Very few leave their offices to interact with their workers. My supervisor has come to my cubicle twice in the last six months.

"Living in a Nightmare"

Current Employee - Auditor in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Auditor in Melbourne, FL

Pros

I cannot think of anything good to say about this agency.

Cons

I wish I never worked for DCAA. The work is dull and depressing. I feel like quitting every day. There is no formal on the job training program. Many audit managers are incompetent and would never be auditing managers in the private sector. Auditors in many other government agencies earn more than me. Promotional opportunities are non existent. I feel like I am living in a nightmare.

Advice to Management

The agency needs a complete overhaul.

"Can not emphasize how BAD is this agency and management"

Current Employee - Auditor in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Current Employee - Auditor in Fort Belvoir, VA

Pros

Great mission that is ruined by mediocre people and HORRIBLE management.

Cons

HORRIBLE Management that treats Auditors as SLAVES. Management is cluless about what means to be a leader and good supervisor. Management does not listen Auditors no matter what.

Advice to Management

Listen Auditors more and take some actions on BAD supervisors who are ruining this agency.

7. "Not Bad"

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Defense Contract Audit Agency (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, decent benefits and job stability.

Cons

Agency is still behind audit curve technology wise and is having a hard time getting enough skilled workers.

Advice to Management

Take advice from people who have experience outside of the agency.

8. "Great Place for work-life balance"

Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Defense Contract Audit Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits! The work-life balance, telework, and annual leave made it worthwhile.

Cons

Average Pay. The promotions based on tenure instead of merit. You can be a great employee, but still get paid the same as below average employee.

Advice to Management

Most Supervisory Auditors lacked technical knowledge and leadership skills. Need to start from the top and hire from Big 4 firms

"Good and bad"

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Alexandria, VA

Pros

opportunity for promotions, flexible work hours, telework, good pay, challenging work, has the potential to be a great place to work

Cons

Audit work is very subjective. For example, supervisor may review something one week then when you do the same thing the next week, he wants it in a different format or different wording. No univormity for how things are done, it's all up to the supervisor or manager. It's a large agency and you can transfer to other offices or other supervisors within the same office. Each change of supervisor or office is like a new job because there is little to no consistency to how things are done. Also, telework is not as good as it should be. Telework privileges are at the discretion of the supervisor. If you have an old supervisor who has never teleworked, he will likely not allow you to telework. Another problem with telework, is they don't trust their people so they punish the whole instead of dealing with the one having the problem.

Advice to Management

Trust your auditors. Treat your auditors like professionals. The vast majority of us come into the agency excited and looking forward to something new. It doesn't take long for us to feel undervalued. That creates low morale. That is the reason you cannot keep people in the positions.

"Fantastic benefits, but limited career growth within the agency"

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Defense Contract Audit Agency (More than 8 years)

Pros

40 hour work week, pension, flexible and telework schedules, paid training, paid MBA, paid CPA, opportunities to travel domestically and abroad. It's a great agency for an aspiring CPA to get their foot into the front door of the US Government.

Cons

Your knowledge base and marketability becomes limited due to the specific audits performed, there is little room for advancement, working grade here is limited to 12 rather than 13 like most other Federal OIG/audit agencies with less responsibility and workload.

Advice to Management

The training and up front investment into new hires is expensive, moreso when they jump ship. Make the move to working grade 13 already.

"Highly dysfunctional organization"

Former Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC

Pros

Benefits, training, federal employee status, work-life balance. Telework. Flexibility to transfer anywhere in the country

Cons

Hopeless, confusing, dysfunctional, lots of odd ducks they've promoted to manager. Managers who micromanage and managers who do nothing

Advice to Management

Let auditors craft his/her own audit programs.