Del Mar Swirls Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Evan Wilensky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent Work Experience."

I have been working at Del Mar Swirls full-time

Pros

Great overall experience. Coworkers are friendly and work together as a team. The shifts are long and you get many hours as told during interview process.

Cons

I wish we could get another yogurt. No big deal because I have learned more working for this company then working any where else.

Advice to Management

Keep expanding your business. I think that the business model and procedures will make for a great success in the future. I hope they open a swirls in my neighborhood.

2. "Good first job, and that's about it"

I worked at Del Mar Swirls full-time

Pros

They'll hire literally anybody because the turnover rate is so high. Your coworkers will be good people, but you'll never be able to talk to them on the shift! 1 free yogurt per shift.

Cons

Horrible father/son management team. They claim to appreciate their employees while they work them to the bone and pay them minimum wage. You will be patronized, your every move will be watched on the cameras that the management keeps an eye on remotely.

Advice to Management

Allow for a more flexible schedule, respect your employees, and try to build somewhat of a work culture. It must be exhausting to be doing interviews every week.

3. "Cashier"

Pros

easy to get the job, one of the owners is nice.

Cons

The place doesn't seem very clean which isn't the employees fault its managements understaffing the place. Seeing how the yogurt is made i personally was grossed out, the cutting board in which fruits are chopped on looks as if its riddled with bacteria, management doesn't seem to give enough time or manpower to properly clean the place or wash the dishes. Theres cameras up constantly watching you so they can micro manage which adds to the feeling of an unhealthy environment.

Advice to Management

Tear out your bathroom and re do it to make the environment feel more clean, add more manpower to your staff so its not a one man army, stop with the micro management, owners need to communicate with each other to stop contradicting each other, and chill.

4. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Del Mar Swirls full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good experience and I learned a lot from working at swirls.

Cons

I couldn't keep the store as clean as I wanted all the time.

Advice to Management

I learned a lot from all the constructive criticism that I was told throughout my job.

5. "Positive Experience"

Current Employee - Lead in Del Mar, CA
    Current Employee - Lead in Del Mar, CA

I have been working at Del Mar Swirls part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Owners are very dedicated to the way the operation of the store is run.

Cons

If you like a job in which you have to do nothing this is not the job to choose.

Advice to Management

I see a positive outlook of the future of this company and a successful business development process in place

6. "Excellent experience"

I worked at Del Mar Swirls full-time

Pros

Very educational experience. Fast environment. Must work hard.

Cons

Long hours. Need to be able to keep up with fast paced store.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job running your stores. I learned a lot from my experience.

"Beware"

Former Employee - Lead
    Former Employee - Lead

Pros

Free $5 yogurt and really nice customers but this hardly sheds light on this horror story.

Cons

Constantly and closely surveiled live by owners. So closely that the owner will call the shop if he believes you're taking too long to use the restroom and he will have the other employee knock on the door and tell you to hurry up. You will then have to call owner and explain why you were in the bathroom as long as you were. There is no real standard for employees to look to except for an opening and closing checklist that contains an absurd amount of tasks to be completed in an unrealistic amount of time. These people will constantly ask you to jump higher and higher and it will never be high enough. This is how they get the "maximum" out of the people they hire. These guys might promise you a lot but at best they'll come to you with an extra 50¢. Constant cleaning. Picking up wet rag with sanitize solution caused skin on fingertips to crack and peel. When I tried to wear gloves to protect and care for my hands the owner had an issue with it. It's there way or no way. Schedule constantly changes due to the fact that they're constantly short handed. The funny thing is you would think the owner was doing a lot of hiring and firing. Wrong. Once new hires go through the initial upbeat honeymoon phase with the owner they quickly realize that they are working for a very manipulative employer who will only treat you like a warm body not a person. No matter how desperate you are for a paycheck you are not this desperate. Even the desperate will regret this employment decision. Don't sign up to do their dirty work. What's really disgusting is how phoney the owners are. They tell you to be upbeat with new people when training them so they'll want to work there. Also the owners forewarn new hires before they start not to listen to there current employees because all of them talk bad about them the owners.They put on this upbeat nice guy persona but anyone who has worked for them knows why I used the word disgusting. Hands down this is the worst job I ever had and I've had a lot. Bullies. I've never worked so hard for anyone in my whole life and been treated so badly. This is my service message to anyone thinking about employment with Swirls.

Advice to Management

Sell your business to someone who cares more and has the necessary skills and experience to operate it properly. Be humane.

"no labor laws followed here"

Former Employee - Cashier in Del Mar, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Del Mar, CA

Pros

co workers were real nice, a lot of available hours

Cons

watched on cameras in the front of the store and the back by the father&son team in the comfort of there own home is just the horrid beginning. Not for security, just to micromanage you throughout your whole shift because they want the most out of everything single penny they pay you. talking to your coworkers is unexceptable even if the store is dead. You need to stay moving and cleaning at all times. Yeah,keep on thinking' I'm joking.
    -no nutritional information listed anywhere in the store-business doesn't recycle-the schedule changes the day of(paper schedule)- new employees aren't taught the right way to sanitize dishes-no enforcement of food handling procedures and laws-

Advice to Management

Stop promising things that aren't going to happen. You aren't going to get employees shirts', or micros cards, printed serving cups back until summer, new mop buckets (all are broken), new brooms (customers even ask what in the world?why can't you boss buy you new brooms?),
     I almost feel sorry for them. They could really run a better business and have there employees respect them but instead they just use people and they have such a high turn over rate. Also buy better quality yogurt. plain tart is italian ice

"This Employer has breaks labor laws."

Former Employee - Yogurt Associate in Del Mar, CA
    Former Employee - Yogurt Associate in Del Mar, CA

I worked at Del Mar Swirls full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will receive first hand experience dealing with the scum of the earth. If these people could take your life and cash in on your life insurance and bury you in a mass grave out back...they would!

Cons

1. Owners watch closed circuit cameras not to prevent theft but to "manage" their business. If you breathe wrong THEY WILL CALL AND INFORM YOU.

2. It's been beyond 72 hours since I terminated our business relationship based on their short comings and they continue to act extremely unprofessional withholding a final pay check! (Refused to allow me to pick up final check at place of business BECAUSE I presume they are threatened by me for finding a more suitable employer THAT CAN PAY ME)

3. Owners are insecure when they lose top tier employment and act in a childish manner.

4. Owner holds grudges against employees that follow his advice about working hard and moving up in society. They don't really want you to practice what they preach.

5. The Real "Owner" of the business is a defense attorney and should know better about breaking laws but he doesn't. He is using all he has left BECAUSE HE IS DESPERATE FOR OOD EMPLOYEES.

6. THIS BUSINESS DOESNT DESERVE GOOD EMPLOYEES BASED ON MY PERSONAL EVALUATION.

Advice to Management

Owners need to repeatedly listen to the hit song "Let it Go" from Disney's movie Frozen. I doubt it will help but you never know. These people are absolutely nuts!

YOU DONT WANT TO BE TREATED AS A JOKE? QUIT ACTING LIKE ONE!

10. "Fun and social."

Current Employee - Shift Lead in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Del Mar Swirls full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The co-workers were very upbeat and hard working. The standards of the store were high so it was easy to take pride in working there.

Cons

Owners watched very closely on the cameras, creating a little bit of paranoia throughout the shift.