Del Monte Foods "del monte" Reviews | Glassdoor

Del Monte Foods Employee Reviews about "del monte"

Found 127 reviews

3.3
Greg Longstreet
Pros
  • "Del Monte has great products and people(in 9 reviews)

• "Good people who take care of each other despite many challenges(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "I had no downfalls while employed at Del Monte Foods(in 10 reviews)

• "(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "del monte"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Awesome job and meaningful work"

Current Employee - Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Del Monte Foods full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've met the most talented and humble team members at Del Monte Foods. The people are kind, hard-working and helpful. Best of all-egos run low. The company's given me the opportunity for lateral career development and it's super exciting to be part of a small "big" CPG company. Our company is launching more innovative, new products than ever before in our 130-year history.

Cons

The vacation benefit is old fashioned, especially for incoming mid-level and senior professionals. It's time to transition to a modern PTO policy and be competitive with other East Bay companies.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome job!

Del Monte Foods2019-04-11

"Great Products"

I have been working at Del Monte Foods full-time

Pros

Del Monte has great products and people.

Cons

The industry is in decline.

Del Monte Foods2019-02-04

"A company in transition"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Del Monte Foods full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Wonderful location if you live in the East Bay. For those that do not, the new offices are easily accessible by BART. Office is about 150 yards from BART station. The people at the organization are collaborative. There is no "jerk" factor within manager, senior manager and directors.

Cons

Del Monte has experienced some significant challenges hitting its EBITDA targets especially after it missed its financial target in fiscal 2016. New ownership from the Philippines has borrowed money from the banks and needs to hit these challenging targets. Numerous layoffs for sales finance, marketing and sales levels this past summer (2016).

Advice to Management

Senior management cannot save its way to prosperity. Its going to require innovation and a new way of thinking.

Del Monte Foods2016-09-12
    • "Good talent recognition"

I worked at Del Monte Foods

Pros

Del Monte has a strong apparatus in place to review and promote from within.

Cons

I had a good experience working for Del Monte and would recommend it to others; however, compensation could be better.

Del Monte Foods2016-07-06

"Many Problems"

I worked at Del Monte Foods

Pros

Mostly nice people Pension Location in Pleasant Hill/Walnut Creek can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on how you look at it. There are a lot of workers with long tenures at the Company who are very committed to the Company's success. Brand name recognition especially in other areas outside Bay Area. You will get paid and how fair that pay will be will depend on what you consider fair and how you negotiate.

Cons

Where do I begin? The unfavorable reviews are all true and it's even possible they do not accurately portray the extent of the issues that Del Monte faces. Executive Management has made numerous strategic missteps and I would have to agree with other reviewers that they need to take a look in the mirror. I won't get into particulars but I have seen what I would consider worst...

Advice to Management

DMPL, it's possible you need new management at the highest levels. The Company was dealt a very challenging hand when the deal closed and it would have been naive at that point to believe everything was going to come out all sunshine and rainbows. That being said, you need to look at your leaders and the part they played in how things turned out. The biggest business failures I have ever seen is when leaders did not...

Del Monte Foods2016-06-11
      • "Desktop/Network Support"

Former Employee - Infrastructure & Operations Specialist in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Del Monte Foods for more than 20 years

Pros

Work with MS programs and Cisco IP networks. Active Directory, IP phones and network printers.

Cons

I had no downfalls while employed at Del Monte Foods. I hate my job got outsourced.

Del Monte Foods2015-10-27

"Associate Brand Manager II"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Del Monte Foods full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Great learning ground for post-MBA. Company invested in lots of group training. After hours, there were plenty of social opportunities.

Cons

The rotation in a division usually occurred 1-1.5 years which could be a good or bad thing. Retention rate is low, with most people leaving in a year or two. Also, like many CPG companies, Del Monte had "analysis paralysis" - did a lot of analyzing but not much action.

Advice to Management

Spend more time screening middle managers - some were not very good leaders!

Del Monte Foods2015-07-27
        • "Associate Brand Manager"

I worked at Del Monte Foods

Pros

Del Monte hires some of the brightest people. They are not only smart, but friendly and great to work with.

Cons

Heavy focus on forecasting. New location is in Pleasant Hill (used to be in SF). More sales and finance driven.

Del Monte Foods2015-06-10

"Stagnant Company...For Now"

I have been working at Del Monte Foods full-time

Pros

The people (non-senior management) at Del Monte are truly the strength of the company. There is a good deal of camaraderie between the individual contributors and it isn't uncommon for the group/s to get together for happy hour after work, play sports together or take weekend excursions. In addition to the closeness of the groups, the salary (for most levels) is pretty solid and makes it tough to leave.

Cons

There is no trust or belief in the CEO at this time. He's inexperienced, can't seem to grasp the fact that innovation is needed and is an awkward guy most of the time. It is possible with the new ownership (Del Monte Pacific) that a push for different thinking occurs, but I doubt it is with the current CEO. I don't anticipate Del Monte...

Advice to Management

Embrace change in the industry & consumer and be the leader rather than the distant follower. Look for opportunities to be considered industry best for employee development and satisfaction or you will continue to lose the best talent you have.

Del Monte Foods2015-06-14
        • "System Consultant"

I worked at Del Monte Foods

Pros

Everyone at Del Monte Foods is kind and professional. They are focused on solutions instead of blame even during time of adversity.

Cons

They recently went through a significant change including new office space and new systems leaving the team unsettled and at times frustrated.

Advice to Management

Recognize the amazing talent you have working for you and reward them with more rather than less resources to get things setlled.

Del Monte Foods2015-04-30