Delaware North Reviews in Buffalo, NY | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Delaware North Chairman & CEO Jeremy M. Jacobs
Jeremy M. Jacobs

Pros
  • In yosemite national park, so beautiful location (in 21 reviews)

• Good work/life balance as long as you're not a supervisor or higher (company is strict on overtime) (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours as most food service places are (in 34 reviews)

• work life balance as you work 80 plus hours a week (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Delaware North full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and environment, great new office, free bagels every Tuesday and Thursday, sometimes free Paula's Donuts! Very technologically advanced. Everyone gets a computer and a laptop.

Cons

none so far that I can find!

Advice to Management

Keep it up :)

2. "Decent place to work, but long hours (weekends) for not great pay and company culture not the best"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Delaware North full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some perks of working in Sportservice subsidiary, some colleagues are a pleasure to work with while I worked there for a few years

Cons

Lower than average salaries, after hours/weekend work, employee acknowledgment or advancement hard to come by, bonus structure and pay raises not great

3. "Overall Great Company"

Current Employee - Program Administrator in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Program Administrator in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Delaware North full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, decent pay, more than most holidays, work-life balance

Cons

Upper management isn't as friendly as they could be.

5. "Marketing Internship Review"

Former Intern - Recruitment Marketing in Buffalo, NY
    Former Intern - Recruitment Marketing in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Delaware North as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming off of an internship where I didn't feel challenged enough, Delaware North was exactly what I was looking for. I was given a sense of autonomy that allowed me to be creative and enjoy coming to work each and every day. Everyone that I interacted with during my time with the company was always willing to tell me more about their career journey and what they were currently working on, and helped in any way that they could. I honestly couldn't have asked for a better internship experience.

Cons

If I had to pick a con, I'd say I wish I had more time with the company to see how my efforts will contribute to future success.

Advice to Management

The group gatherings for interns are a great program, but I was unable to attend them due to my schedule. Perhaps something outside of the office may be a nice change of pace.

6. "Terrible Company to work for"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Delaware North full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay managers well, but its a trap. This company will lure you in with promises for opportunity and it is nothing but a good old boy network. They have a HR department that protects higher level managers and does not listen to their hard working line employees.

Cons

They will hold you to rules and policies and change them on you without warning. For the money this company brags it has, it has inadequate systems. For example a 2.5 million dollar operation is using basic spreadsheets for inventory. You also get stuck with inadequate operating and cash systems because someone in technology got a big bonus to bring in junk.

Advice to Management

Stay away. This company is all smoke and mirrors to get you in. Unless you are at the Home Office in Downtown Buffalo, you will be miserable working long shifts in casinos, sports venues or wherever, and forget any personal time on holidays. You work every one.

"Not the end all be all...."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Delaware North full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of food available to you, benefits are decent, nice building, hourly associates tend to be nice, many locations in which to work for the company

Cons

Many people in management are not equipped to do the job that they have been given, hourly associates not treated well, lots of turn over

Advice to Management

Hire more managers that have actual skills instead of family and friends always being hired to best jobs, treat your hourly associates well that's where all the work gets done

"Good company to work for"

Current Employee - IT Security Administrator in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - IT Security Administrator in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Delaware North full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a family owned company. The work space is brand new and was built with the most modern look and technology.

Cons

There is a lack of communication within this company especially between departments. Different parts of IT even show this problem. Some departments are understaffed.

Advice to Management

Managers should try to foster better inter-department communication as well as throughout the company. There needs to be more accountability from management about the number of people required to perform a job.

"Sr. Recruiter"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Delaware North full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It’s a great place to work! I've progressed through multiple career opportunities in our HR department and have worked with each of our subsidiaries. I love the diversity of our company. We have many opportunities that one can pursue in different facets of our operations. I come to work every day feeling empowered!

Cons

I wouldn't say this is a con, but a lifestyle preference. We work while others are out to play. Its the environment of our business that our associates need to be very adaptable to working many long hours that include nights, weekends & holidays. The rewards of our guest experiences are worth it!

Advice to Management

Continue to evaluate our operations & how we can be efficient, updating technology and providing tools to develop ourtalent.

"Network Engineer"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Buffalo, NY

Pros

This is a stable company with standard growth. There are a lot of different technologies to work on.

Cons

Caustic environment. Overall morale is very low. Senior Management told most of the department to search for jobs since cloud technology would replace their jobs. Turnover very high

Advice to Management

Departments are kept in Silo's. Need to stop the constant change of management staff and change in overall department strategy.

11. "Great Company!!"

I have been working at Delaware North full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is always encouraging you to be your best and grow from within! There are many opportunities for advancement and great benefits to working here, not too mention the new Corporate office is stunning!

Cons

Nothing so far. I'm very impressed.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing!