Delaware North Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Delaware North Chairman & CEO Jeremy M. Jacobs
Jeremy M. Jacobs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I worked specifically in Sequoia National Park so keep in mind I didn't have an "average" experience" (in 28 reviews)

• "Offers flexible working hours for work/life balance" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours on weekends that prevents other responsibilities being accomplished" (in 50 reviews)

• "The work/life balance is not great during the season however there is some flexibility in scheduling during the off time" (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Infinite Possibilities"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Grand Canyon Village, AZ
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Grand Canyon Village, AZ

I have been working at Delaware North full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I made one New Year's resolution for 2018, "Work outdoors, in moderate temperatures, with little or no supervision, in wide open spaces". Through process of elimination I decided to go to work for DNC starting in February this year. My first gig was tending bar outdoors at Maryvale Stadium in Phoenix for Brewers Spring Training for all of Feb. and March. My next gig was for Petco Stadium in San Diego for the Padres for all of April, I worked various positions, but mostly outdoors, mission accomplished. They asked me to stay for the entire season, but I had already committed to DNC's Yavapai Lodge for May thru October which is where I am currently and in just a few weeks will be working as a cocktail server in The Tavern's NEW outdoor patio as soon as it's finished. I love my company. Everyone has been so nice. It is a company of mutual accommodation. They understand the need for a life outside of work. Just yesterday I was offered a split shift full time bartending postion, a generous offer for someone so new, but I declined. I am treating all of my opportunities as a working vacation. I said it would take the joy out of working in the Grand Canyon and I would lose interest fast without the free time I currently have. He fully understood my position, and I will remain a FT, cocktail server, working outdoors, in wide open spaces, mid afternoon to closing, mornings free to explore this great National Park. DNC has 186 venues. At the end of October, it'll be cold here, so, a season or two at Lizard Island Resort in Australia is looking super enticing as my next goal. I really want to just say KUDOS to all the fantastic people I have come into contact with thus far. You are amazing and I am happy to be a part of this team.

Cons

I personally have not experienced any cons. I'm not the type of person to dwell on little things. I have heard stories from unhappy people to which I always say, "the difference between ordeal and adventure is attitude, change your attitude".

Advice to Management

Thank You!!

Delaware North Response

Jun 6, 2018 – Delaware North Careers

Thank you for providing this review! Love the tagline! Your experience is a great example of the many roles and career opportunities you can have, across multiple locations, at Delaware North! If you... More

2. "Bartender"

Current Employee - Bartender in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Bartender in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Delaware North part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Time off between Home stands to still enjoy my summer

Cons

Long Home stands, 5 to 10 days

3. "Okay Job"

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Richmond, VA

I worked at Delaware North full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tips
    Co-Workers
    Some customers were friendly
    You can get a good schedule only if you have higher seniority
    Free food

Cons

Management
    Early Morning Shifts
    Not having enough staff to relieve you from your shift on holidays

Advice to Management

Try to be there more for your employees

4. "More cons than pros"

Current Employee - Cashier in East Rutherford, NJ
    Current Employee - Cashier in East Rutherford, NJ

I have been working at Delaware North part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most (not all) Team Managers are decent and a pleasure to work for. Others can be cruel- will let favorite staff go home and keep others working until they are the last people in the stadium.

Cons

*Surprisingly, for such a big enterprise, they are extremely disorganized in having the supplies you need to start the job. I.e., the cups you need for that event aren't always available and when they are, you're lucky to have matching lids. Sometimes you'll have to pour every beverage from a bottle or can and/or remove the caps but you're not told this until a minute before open.
    *You'll work non stop on your feet without even the chance to look at the time, let alone have a break. I wonder how they circumvent customary labor laws with this. Your voucher menu for a hot dog/pretzel or tenders/fries grows old very fast. More often than not, you'll be so busy you won't even get to eat until the stands that have what you're allotted are closing and the food is gone.
    *There's no place to sit on your 'break' anyway, unless you sit on the floor.
    *Sometimes they haven't enough shuttles to take you to your car so, after standing all night, you stand in line for a shuttle -which can add another 30 minutes on to your already long night.
    *Most fans are reasonable and patient but many are rude and impatient. They insert their credit cards for a nano second and take off and you have to call them back, further delaying the wait for others.
    For the most part, beertenders, especially experienced ones, don't play as a 'team' and want nothing to do with others in the stand. I've found that they are often possessive of their inventory and resent sharing, even if you're just trying to service the guest.
    *Though some are great and helpful, a few workers can be hostile to newer staff and make the job more difficult than it needs to be.

Advice to Management

Get a better internal system for having the necessary supplies available for every stand well before open time.
    Team Managers should understand that many work day jobs and it's not fair to watch favored staff leave promptly while others get stuck behind doing inventory counts that they could have helped with.

5. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Suite Attendant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Suite Attendant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Delaware North part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for as a part-time gig! The pay is competitive and you know your work schedule way in advance, very flexible hours! Nice for a second job or for a student. Highly recommend for anyone considering, great company and team to be a part of.

Cons

I have no cons for this position. Great company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and communication.

6. "In-Seat Waitstaff - Fun!"

Current Employee - In-Seat Waitstaff in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - In-Seat Waitstaff in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Delaware North part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at Miller Park for Delaware North Sportservice. I had to be there an hour before the game and we served until the 7th inning. It was a lot of being part of the game atmosphere and being busy. Made decent tips.

Cons

A heads up you are always on your feet but only for 3 or 4 hours. Shifts are 3 to 4 hours and you only work when the Brewers are in town so you don't get a lot of hours.

Advice to Management

Management changed while I worked there and I didn't see the manager much but it wasn't really a problem so I don't have much advice.

"Finance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Delaware North full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large company with locations throughout the world.

Cons

As with many large companies, employees are not valued.

Advice to Management

Keep the loyal employees satisfied to retain talent.

"underappreciated"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamburg, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamburg, NY

I have been working at Delaware North full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

most coworkers are great to work with

Cons

the pay is low. upper management does not seem to care

Advice to Management

take care of the employees you want to retain

9. "Delaware North Companies/Sportservice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Delaware North part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I loved working with the public

Cons

Encourage employees to venture out-of-the-box

Advice to Management

Needed more team building seminars, and learn how to communicate more efficiently with employees. Encourage employees to advance within the company. Whenever the games ran over the managers would refuse to let the employees who didn't have alternate transportation leave before their transportation ended.

Delaware North Response

Aug 13, 2018 – Delaware North Careers

Thank you for your feedback and for your service to the Company! We appreciate your advice to management and will share that with the team.

"Management giving us, cook, a hard time we do all works in the kitchen prep, dishwashing and cleaning"

Current Employee - Cook in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Cook in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Delaware North full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I will not recommend this company here in Ontario not like in North Delaware Fort Lauderdale Int Airport, Florida I think management is cost cutting a cook do all the work in the kitchen

Cons

Work hard to hold your job

Advice to Management

The management should hire prep cook, dishwashers and utilities so that employees can work effectively with their job