Delaware North Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Delaware North Chairman & CEO Jeremy M. Jacobs
Jeremy M. Jacobs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I worked specifically in Sequoia National Park so keep in mind I didn't have an "average" experience" (in 28 reviews)

• "Offers flexible working hours for work/life balance" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours standing with no sitting except during your break" (in 49 reviews)

• "The work/life balance is not great during the season however there is some flexibility in scheduling during the off time" (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Infinite Possibilities"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Grand Canyon Village, AZ
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Grand Canyon Village, AZ

I have been working at Delaware North full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I made one New Year's resolution for 2018, "Work outdoors, in moderate temperatures, with little or no supervision, in wide open spaces". Through process of elimination I decided to go to work for DNC starting in February this year. My first gig was tending bar outdoors at Maryvale Stadium in Phoenix for Brewers Spring Training for all of Feb. and March. My next gig was for Petco Stadium in San Diego for the Padres for all of April, I worked various positions, but mostly outdoors, mission accomplished. They asked me to stay for the entire season, but I had already committed to DNC's Yavapai Lodge for May thru October which is where I am currently and in just a few weeks will be working as a cocktail server in The Tavern's NEW outdoor patio as soon as it's finished. I love my company. Everyone has been so nice. It is a company of mutual accommodation. They understand the need for a life outside of work. Just yesterday I was offered a split shift full time bartending postion, a generous offer for someone so new, but I declined. I am treating all of my opportunities as a working vacation. I said it would take the joy out of working in the Grand Canyon and I would lose interest fast without the free time I currently have. He fully understood my position, and I will remain a FT, cocktail server, working outdoors, in wide open spaces, mid afternoon to closing, mornings free to explore this great National Park. DNC has 186 venues. At the end of October, it'll be cold here, so, a season or two at Lizard Island Resort in Australia is looking super enticing as my next goal. I really want to just say KUDOS to all the fantastic people I have come into contact with thus far. You are amazing and I am happy to be a part of this team.

Cons

I personally have not experienced any cons. I'm not the type of person to dwell on little things. I have heard stories from unhappy people to which I always say, "the difference between ordeal and adventure is attitude, change your attitude".

Advice to Management

Thank You!!

Jun 6, 2018 – Delaware North Careers

Thank you for providing this review! Love the tagline! Your experience is a great example of the many roles and career opportunities you can have, across multiple locations, at Delaware North! If you... More

2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Executive Suites in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Executive Suites in Tampa, FL

I worked at Delaware North part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, fun work environment. Loved the hockey team!

Cons

The position was only part time.

3. "Good experience, great part time job."

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in Harrison, NJ
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in Harrison, NJ

I have been working at Delaware North part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seasonal schedule during my MLS games. Free food. Work is not hard. Good fans at games.

Cons

Have to pay $10 for parking ( regularly $20. )

Advice to Management

Hold those who don’t bother showing up accountable.

"Bartender"

Former Employee - Party Suite Bartender in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Party Suite Bartender in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Delaware North part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love serving others and is my passion.

Cons

You need to hire team players that put employees 1st and customers 2nd and your management 3rd. If not in this order you will always have a very high job turnover and lose good employees to other companies!

Advice to Management

I give one star because Delaware North Sportservice in Saint Louis, MO does not put employees first and have one of the biggest job turnovers in the city of Saint Louis, Mo right now because your bosses don't know how to treat employees and talk at the employees and not work with them! I have never in my life worked for such an unorganized place where it looks like to me it is all about money and not the employees. Employees come first, customer second and managers last! None of these three can run a well-organized company without a strong team in this order! I was embarrassed to say I worked for this organization and I worked for the Baseball Cardinals and not your company who deserve all the respect in Saint Louis, MO. I pray I am not right but my home team Baseball Cardinals are not playing well at all when in Saint Louis and something tells me we all got to work together as one big team and not separate! Employees 1st. Customer 2nd & management last! I just could not take any more of being bullied and harassed each time I came back to work and my health is more important than this poor treatment of the employees. I speak for all of the Delaware Employees and I have never seen such sad employees all of the time who get no respect, no minimum wages, some can eat and most of us can't! And the saddest thing I have ever seen in my life is when working in the party suites how food is just wasted that the employees worked very hard to prepare. It is a disgrace how Delaware North aka Sportservice treats employees & customers! - Valerie Cheers Brown

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Cross Lanes, WV
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Cross Lanes, WV

I have been working at Delaware North full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big Company with a lot of room to develop your career, they listen to your opinions no matter what level position you hold

Cons

recently bought the location that I work at and are slow at revamping the current management staff

Jun 27, 2018 – Delaware North Careers

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and for the kind words. Delaware North takes pride in our due diligence process, including the evaluation of staff. Our recent acquisition of Mardi... More

"Good experience in food service"

Current Employee - Concession Supervisor in Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Concession Supervisor in Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Delaware North part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people, decent hours, paid weekly

Cons

Pay rate is low for the amount of work we actually do. Rude management

Advice to Management

Have more respect when interacting with your team

"OVERSTAFFED"

Current Employee - Bartender in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Bartender in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Delaware North part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work. Most co-workers are nice. Good money as a bartender if staffed correctly

Cons

Way overstaffed. Bars that only need 2 bartenders have 4 or more. Earning far less than last year. Preferential treatment to management favorites. Work in extreme heat.

Advice to Management

Stop overstaffing bars. Be more professional and stop letting personal feelings dictate staff treatment and placement. . Provide fans at bars and concession stands.
    Listen to staff, have staff meetings to brainstorm ways to improve work flow. Provide uniforms that work better in heat

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Sequoia, Tulare, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Sequoia, Tulare, CA

I have been working at Delaware North full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location is Sequoia National Park

Cons

I have to drive 1.5 hours

Advice to Management

none

9. "Great place to be."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Delaware North full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The experience is out of this world. 2 years out of college and I've already been apart of a World Series, 2 Opening Days, NCAA March Madness, IIHF World Juniors, and the list is going to keep growing.

Cons

You have to be patient to get where you need to be. It will all pay off in the end, but sometimes you just have to play your role.

10. "Crewmember"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennedy Space Center, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennedy Space Center, FL

I worked at Delaware North full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large experience pool to gain from.
    Something different daily.

Cons

Poor scheduling system.
    High Turnover
    Skewed Seniority Program

Advice to Management

Hire additional supervisors that are competent.
    Put guest and employees first, not your pockets.

Jun 27, 2018 – Delaware North Careers

Thank you for your feedback, and we’re sorry that you had a negative experience with us. We understand being a union property that the scheduling and bidding can be confusing, but also comes with... More