Delaware North Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Delaware North Chairman & CEO Jeremy M. Jacobs
Jeremy M. Jacobs

Pros
  • Yosemite National Park is a beautiful place to work (in 22 reviews)

• Opportunities for advancement, decent pay, more than most holidays, work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes you may have to work long hours but it's all worth it (in 39 reviews)

• Work life balance is non existent (in 15 reviews)

1. "Kings Canyon - Honest View"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kings Canyon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kings Canyon, CA

I have been working at Delaware North full-time

Pros

The surrounding wilderness is breathtaking and unlimitedly explorable.

Cons

Currently an employee at Delaware North in Kings Canyon National Park and I thought it was appropriate to post an anonymous "heads-up" to anyone heading out this way for work or interested in working in Kings Canyon in the near future. And I can only offer insight on what to expect with Delaware North in Kings Canyon. I'll start with what I think is most important, the food. Not much variety at all, but the Chefs do a great job of making every meal option delicious. The disappointing aspect is that all employees who applied this summer were promised meals priced at Breakfast - $3.25, Lunch - $3.50 and Dinner - $3.50. Even when you show up, you sign a document stating the cost of meals but it is not honored because and I quote "the company is being stingy because they are low on funds." They offer half off which ends up around $8 a meal, not exactly an employee benefit when its simply frozen meals from Sysco. Housing = cabin with plywood floors, gaps around the doors, disgusting beds, overcrowded (expect numerous people in a standard size bedroom), no heat/ac, no restroom or shower for employees within 200 yards (bathroom is being rebuilt so employees have to shower in guests rooms before they are cleaned by housekeeping), their housekeeping department is severely understaffed and results in numerous complaints everyday from high-paying guests (Also, HK is barred from getting tips from guests), management is staffed with the head honcho's friends who are suspiciously not required to have experience within the department, maintenance is understaffed and basically just available for guests' needs and employee housing is overlooked. The waiters are understaffed (but get the tips in return). The payroll department can't figure out how to deposit money to bank accounts or how to cut a big enough check to cover the hours you work (and getting lost money back from payroll can take weeks). Don't worry about getting a pay raise unless you have five years worth of patience. Schedules can change from week to week bringing you from full-time to part-time randomly. Complaints about working conditions are deflected elsewhere by management, similar to how front desk staff deflect guest complaints (nonchalantly and with no intention to fix the issue). Wifi is limited and cell service is non existent without Verizon. This list is not am exhaustive list, but do be weary when applying and be sure that you come here for the right reasons. In my opinion, you have to be either desperate for experience or be crazy in love with the wildness that this canyon has to offer. I'm here for the second reason and I feel like the luckiest person everyday. I just wanted to offer people a more open view of what the employee experience will be like here so that they can weigh the different options they may have.

Advice to Management

Find some true experienced managers and put some effort and some of that $3 billion back into your properties.

"I work for Delaware North"

Current Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Delaware North full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hourly employees have union benefits which seem to come in pretty handy on occasion. Delaware North offers employees a meal allowance to be used during ones shift.

Cons

It is difficult to keep staffed.

3. "okay job, terrible pay"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in West Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in West Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Delaware North part-time (More than a year)

Pros

they feed you on your break (barely)

Cons

they play favorites and it shows, terrible pay for a high stress job

"Decent place to work, but long hours (weekends) for not great pay and company culture not the best"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Delaware North full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some perks of working in Sportservice subsidiary, some colleagues are a pleasure to work with while I worked there for a few years

Cons

Lower than average salaries, after hours/weekend work, employee acknowledgment or advancement hard to come by, bonus structure and pay raises not great

"Bartender"

Former Employee - Bartender in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Bartender in Denver, CO

I worked at Delaware North (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Money at Airport with steady business.

Cons

Horrible Management, no cuture or feeling of belonging.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect.

"Delaware North at Yosemite"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yosemite National Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yosemite National Park, CA

I worked at Delaware North full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work in some amazing national parks.

Cons

Company only really cares about the bottom line and treats employees very poorly.

"Worked at THE HABIT T6"

Former Employee - The Habit in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - The Habit in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good pay
    Full hours
    Good people
    Hard working team

Cons

Union takes too much money away
    Won't get paid for your sick days or Holidays if you are a new hire
    Poor customer service skills
    Poor management team
    Customers are rude and inpatient

Advice to Management

Train more

9. "Management is Terrible!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cheektowaga, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cheektowaga, NY

I worked at Delaware North full-time

Pros

Job was full time and lunch was free if you ate one of their approved meals. Nice place to meet all sorts of people.

Cons

Clerks had certain responsibilities beyond cashiering. Management would not enforce this for those who felt they were only a cashier.

Advice to Management

Be fair in how you treat your employees. We were supposed to be a team but it was every one for them selves. No one was disciplined for being lazy.

"Poor management and no advacement"

Current Employee - Slave Worker in Kennedy Sp Ct, FL
    Current Employee - Slave Worker in Kennedy Sp Ct, FL

I have been working at Delaware North full-time

Pros

I have learned a ton about the hospitality industry which ultimately led to me getting a degree in that field. Have a diverse amount of experience doing 8 different qualifications and have my certification through ServSaf paid by the company.

Cons

Management is poor to say the least. They are inconsistent and forget to do stuff daily. They micromanage everyone and are usually too hot headed to accept their own mistakes. They choose some of the most peculiar people to move up when someone who has that field of study is left hanging. I gave them 8 and a half years and I am on my way out and will not look back once I'm gone.

Advice to Management

Step up and be leaders not managers. Lead by example and get out and see what troubles front line employees deal with rather then sitting at your desks trying to figure out where to allocate money that you have no idea where it needs to go.

"Not the end all be all...."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Delaware North full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of food available to you, benefits are decent, nice building, hourly associates tend to be nice, many locations in which to work for the company

Cons

Many people in management are not equipped to do the job that they have been given, hourly associates not treated well, lots of turn over

Advice to Management

Hire more managers that have actual skills instead of family and friends always being hired to best jobs, treat your hourly associates well that's where all the work gets done