Delaware North Server Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Delaware North Chairman & CEO Jeremy M. Jacobs
Jeremy M. Jacobs
  1. Featured Review

"Great, Fun, Friendly, Team Work"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Houston, TX

I have been working at Delaware North part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great friendly atmosphere, flexible hours, humble training, and wonderful team work .

Cons

The only downside, I can address are the seasonal positions..

Advice to Management

Ive only had one Manager so far, and I must admit that she's an Awesome person!! Filling in wherever needed ,(moping and dumping trash) not allowing her title dictate her personality... Remarkable!!

Delaware North2019-09-06

"Infinite Possibilities"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Grand Canyon Village, AZ

I have been working at Delaware North full-time for less than a year

Pros

I made one New Year's resolution for 2018, "Work outdoors, in moderate temperatures, with little or no supervision, in wide open spaces". Through process of elimination I decided to go to work for DNC starting in February this year. My first gig was tending bar outdoors at Maryvale Stadium in Phoenix for Brewers Spring Training for all of Feb. and March. My next gig was for Petco Stadium in San Diego for the Padres for all of April, I worked various positions, but mostly outdoors, mission accomplished. They asked me to stay for the entire season, but I had already committed to DNC's Yavapai Lodge for May thru October which is where I am currently and in just a few weeks will be working as a cocktail server in The Tavern's NEW outdoor patio as soon as it's finished. I love my company. Everyone has been so nice. It is a company of mutual accommodation. They understand the need for a life outside of work. Just yesterday I was offered a split shift full time bartending postion, a generous offer for someone so new, but I declined. I am treating all of my opportunities as a working vacation. I said it would take the joy out of working in the Grand Canyon and I would lose interest fast without the free time I currently have. He fully understood my position, and I will remain a FT, cocktail server, working outdoors, in wide open spaces, mid afternoon to closing, mornings free to explore this great National Park. DNC has 186 venues. At the end of October, it'll be cold here, so, a season or two at Lizard Island Resort in Australia is looking super enticing as my next goal. I really want to just say KUDOS to all the fantastic people I have come into contact with thus far. You are amazing and I am happy to be a part of this team.

Cons

I personally have not experienced any cons. I'm not the type of person to dwell on little things. I have heard stories from unhappy people to which I always say, "the difference between ordeal and adventure is attitude, change your attitude".

Advice to Management

Thank You!!

Delaware North2018-06-05

"Excellent Income and Above Excellent Benefits"

Current Employee - Server in Boise, ID

I have been working at Delaware North full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The money is off the charts as a server, hours are somewhat flexible, the airport is interesting, benefits are the best I've ever had.

Cons

Management is a mess, including HR, very unreliable chaotic, and never makes sense. Most of the time management and HR doesn't respond to phone calls, texts or emails. The stress can be very high, traffic is sometimes non-stop. The environment is filled with drama and tension at times. You may get called in to work on your day off.

Delaware North2019-07-24

"Great Location"

Former Employee - Server in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I worked at Delaware North full-time for more than a year

Pros

low cost of living amazing location- Yellowstone National Park

Cons

chaotic at times (seasonal tourism) poor communication with management

Delaware North2019-05-24

"Stay away from this company"

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Delaware North part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of employees are nice people.

Cons

Most of the management is incompetent. They ask you to clock out on your meal breaks and still continue to work. They love to micro mange They treat someone with 15 + years experience like a 2 year old. Their ethics are the worst I have ever seen. Stay away from this compnay.

Advice to Management

Get qualified managers that know the bar & restaurant business. Learn how to respect your employees.

Delaware North2019-02-19
  6. "Great company to work for as long as you stay in line"

Former Employee - Server in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Delaware North full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Job security and always an ability to make your hours

Cons

Getting too attached to things you can’t change. If you work as individual with goals in a team environment you can survive.

Advice to Management

Managing 100s of people in any given situation is extremely hard, but dealing with 1000s of guests each week is not a small accomplishment either.

Delaware North2018-09-22
  7. "I have worked for many big companies and this one takes the best care of employees."

Former Employee - Server in Yosemite National Park, CA

I worked at Delaware North full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This company provides full health benefits and 401 k. In addition to free classes that will benefit you with future employment. Your wages increase the longer you work for the company.

Cons

They provide housing in national parks that was less then glamorous. Some of the mangers were forced to live along side there associates but not allowed to mingle. It created an awkward living working situation.

Advice to Management

Long hours for managers

Delaware North2018-03-14

"only work here if the only other option is jail"

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Richmond, VA

I worked at Delaware North full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good money and benefits (still not worth it though).

Cons

Rotating cast of managers means you never know who’s in charge, upper management truly evil, this place operates on a culture of fear and discrimination. Turnover easily three times the norm. Chronically understaffed and no one is quite trained (Management will still punish you for not knowing what they never taught you though, because it’s you or them on the line for the constant failure—seriously, look at reviews for the restaurants online). Expect to disappoint every guest you serve. Best-case scenario, you’re overcharging a captive audience for mediocre-to-horrible food and drinks that contain half the alcohol called for in training videos, only a few guests walk out in disgust that day, and you find a manager, any manager, to do your comps so you can leave without a writeup waiting for you when you work next. Only work here if the only other option is jail, and even then you’ll probably have regrets.

Advice to Management

Get it together. You managed to turn more money than average and stellar benefits into the worst job I’ve ever had just with your personalities. That’s the only impressive thing I’ve seen anyone above the rank of supervisor do in this entire company.

Delaware North2018-03-04

"LCA- very unorganized, very unethical."

Current Employee - Server in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Delaware North part-time for less than a year

Pros

The only reason I stay is it's good money. And I've lost 15 lb since working there.

Cons

So there is not enough lockers for all of the employees. So bringing a lunch from home is out of the question, there is no where to store it. I personally watched my manager throw away a co-workers food because they stored it in a work cubby. However we don't get any discount on food during events (which is everyday) and all we get is a voucher for a hot dog everday. If we even get a break at all. Most employees do not get any breaks, even after working 10 hr shifts (boh does get lunch breaks, majority of the time. foh usually isn't allowed). But managers will sit right in front of us, not only eat but drink alcoholic beverages too. I thought that wasn't allowed. We had a manager so drunk on new years, he threw up on his shirt and continued to work. Also we live in Michigan, it is winter. They posted signs around the arena to try not to wear your coat inside. Because there's nowhere to store them . It's disgusting how these managers act, and treat their employees. Oh and HR will tell you, that they are overwhelmed and can't do their job accordingly. If you go to them with a problem, they will just inform your manager and you WILL get retaliated against, if not fired. And HR will not have time to even get a statement from you, or hear your side. You cannot have your cell phones on you . But nobody answers the phone if you try to call any restaurant . So if you have children , and there is an emergency there is no way they can contact you . You can't wear a jacket if you do get a break . However you're not supposed to be in company uniform . You have to pay $5 a day for parking, but you're not even guaranteed to get a shuttle if it's outside of shuttle hours. So now you either have to pay an Uber or walk the city of Detroit to get to your vehicle. General managers are allowed to hang out with employees outside of business hours, and these employees will get favored because of it. They will get more hours, and breaks. Performance , has nothing to do with hours or privileges . I expected better from this company. It's honestly a law suit waiting to happen..

Advice to Management

If you are not going to hire managers with any management experience, then somebody needs to personally come in and train these people. I have worked as a manager in a big corporate company before. And I know a lot of the way they treat their employees, is very unprofessional, unethical, and in some cases illegal. These little employees is what makes this company. Show some respect, if I make thousands of dollars for this company everyday, I feel at the very least I should get a lunch. Or even a chance to sit down. And a hot dog everyday, that is super unhealthy for anyone. Ultimately happy employees, is what's going to make this company succeed, And consistency an organization needs to be a factor.

Delaware North2018-01-08
  10. "Full-time server income"

Current Employee - Server in Miami, FL

I have been working at Delaware North full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Health insurance, 401K, meal allowance, vacation/sick leave, etc.

Cons

slow promotion from the ranks

Advice to Management

train good servers for management positions

Delaware North2017-11-07