Delhaize Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Delhaize President & CEO Frans Muller
Frans Muller

Pros
Cons
  • pay salary & raises could be improved, not much room for advancement, does not boost employers morale when pulling long hrs (in 3 reviews)

• The rate of pay for entry level employees leaves much to be desired (in 4 reviews)

1. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Front Line Supervisor in Disputanta, VA
    Current Employee - Front Line Supervisor in Disputanta, VA

I have been working at Delhaize full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, advancement opportunity, flexible schedule

Cons

Home life and work balance a little uneven

Advice to Management

Continuous improvement

2. "Horrible!"

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Lenoir, NC
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Lenoir, NC

I worked at Delhaize part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great customers, bad company to work for. Not enough hours and then they get mad if you change your availability to find another job.

Cons

People in management that have no business holding the position that's they are in.

Advice to Management

Hire better candidates to do the job. If you don't take care of your people, you can't take care of your business.

3. "Great Company"

Current Contractor - Analyst in Salisbury, NC
    Current Contractor - Analyst in Salisbury, NC

I have been working at Delhaize as a contractor

Pros

Great Work environment. Love the employees very friendly.

Cons

Great experience, I would love to land a permanent position.

5. "Environment"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in North Charleston, SC
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Delhaize as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

very good working environment and friendly people

Cons

the location in Salisbury is central and easily accessible from different areas

Advice to Management

did not have the chance to interface with the management but seems to made decisions that is key to the companies growth

"Nice but"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salisbury, NC

I have been working at Delhaize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are improving their stores with new systems and upgraded looks. The board members, I think, have finally realized that you have to have a maintenance budget in IT to replace equipment and upgrade systems on a regular basis.

A lot of their private label food stuff is pretty darn good. I found out that the company who supplies some of their private label cookies also contract to produce some of the Girl Scout cookies. There is a version of the Thin mint in their private label. Tastes better than the GS cookie.

They have comfortable offices with walls that are 4 foot high. Not quite the dreaded open office system but it seems they are moving in that direction. The people are what I consider southern friendly.

Cons

The company is very lean. Their philosophy is to outsource as much as possible. This causes a lot of bottlenecks. If you happen to be an employee of the company the only way to move is if somebody quits the company.
    If you need training...good luck. There is none. Criticism is called coaching in some departments.

They have Sharepoint in the company but nobody I have met fully utilizes it. In fact most people don't even use it. Sharing of documents and collaboration is hard to come by. They do not have any formalized project management in house. The company wants to manage projects but if you can't track hours and people who worked on it how in the world are you going to figure out what works and what doesn't.

The headquarters is located in BFE. If you are not very conservative be very careful what you say. Did I mention there is no training....not even the basic CBT stuff for ethics, diversity and safety. I had to gently inform a few people that the LGBT community deserves as much respect as the heterosexuals and where they could find some useful information.
    There is no anonymous HR input form. If you have a question or concern and you want to inquire to HR about it....good luck, even finding a non-anonymous way to contact them is very difficult to do.

IT hasn't learned yet that the business side of the house pays their salary. They do not like discussing or revealing their processes to the business side. There as yet is no transparency or active collaboration between departments.

There are a lot of people with Manager in their title who manage nobody.
    The people are what I consider southern friendly.

Advice to Management

I've been at worse places. I've been at better.

"Stay far away...at least for now"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salisbury, NC

I have been working at Delhaize full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people in middle management are overall great to work with. i enjoyed my teams at the middle-management level. There are some very caring, loyal people in the company, but most are finishing up before retirement. The new people officer seems to be trying to implement better rewards/recognition.

Cons

Everything else. Senior management gets very, very involved in minor details which translates to a lot of rework when they are disconnected from the core of the business. The culture is overall stressed out and negative. Young and/or educated people won't last long. Senior management is focused on their bonuses and not on the overall best interest of the customer and business.

Advice to Management

To the new CEO: Consider reorging/letting go of senior management and bringing in new people, ideas and fresh perspectives. Implement better pay, development, benefits and listen to your people below director level for honest feedback.

"Directionally Challenged"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Salisbury, NC
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Salisbury, NC

I worked at Delhaize full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Delhaize America was a decent place to work with many talented associates but the trend since 2001 has been to eliminate jobs and close stores. I was proud that I gave this company many years of dedication averaging 75-80 hour work weeks and made a difference but very disappointed when my department eliminated my position.

Cons

Many people gave lots to this company but I believe the Lions Pride and its brand has faded.

Advice to Management

Rebrand completely! I believe the trust in the current company is done and people are just waiting until you sell them.

"Unappreciated"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Scarborough, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Scarborough, ME

I worked at Delhaize full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good

Cons

Lay-offs and constant re-orgs. There is no passion in associates anymore because of this. The negativity is catchy.

Pay is not competitive to the market at all. No career paths given or leaders identified and HR is making no effort to improve this or the culture and atmosphere. Management is mostly men and they are only out to get themselves promoted.

There is not much opportunity to move up as most jobs are being filled in the Salisbury, NC office

Advice to Management

The sign of a good manager is when your associates succeed and are promoted.

"The people are friendly, but the management is somewhat clueless."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salisbury, NC

I have been working at Delhaize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work environment is pleasant and enjoyable atmosphere.

Cons

Company has reputation for making cutbacks to various departments.

Advice to Management

Give yourself a pay cut, you are overpaid and are missing out on CMS opportunities your store associates posses.

"I felt like a number and order taker"

Former Employee - Systems Manager in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Systems Manager in Portland, ME

I worked at Delhaize (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is ok, and there are a lot of quality projects to work on. The projects span busienss and IT.

Cons

Management is in flux and change is rampid, which is causing a lot of fear with the employees, thus causeing disruption.

Advice to Management

Reduce change and value current employees. Make the employees feel that they are people rather than just a tool to complete a task. Also be more intoudh with lower levels of management, and staff, they have a lot of knowledge to share, and they truly care about the company