Delivery Agent Reviews | Glassdoor

Delivery Agent Reviews

Updated October 26, 2016

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mike Fitzsimmons

Pros
  • Great people to work for I really enjoy my time and the training (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible hours and trusted to handle your schedule if you get things done (depends on department) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management in SF is desperate (in 9 reviews)

• Most employees have a hard time with work/life balance because of extreme work load (in 5 reviews)

"good experiance"

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for growth.
    Smart, talented, fun colleagues to work with
    flexible hours

Cons

no major cons, no major cons, no major cons.

The company has gone through some major changes recently

2. "Love the People!"

I have been working at Delivery Agent full-time

Pros

- Great people to work with.
    - There are always new challenges. You'll never get bored.
    - Cool clients (TV networks, Sport teams, Musicians)
    - Lots of freebies
    -Stocked kitchen
    - Great location

Cons

- Company is going thru significant changes.
    - Merit increases are skipped sometimes.

"Really needs a solid direction, and currently in some shoddy financial shape"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Delivery Agent (More than a year)

Pros

* The people are good.
    * Great locale in Denver
    * The work is fun

Cons

* We're in some pretty sorry financial shape. Some otherwise profitable parts of this business have been run into the ground and/or dismissed. There are unpaid bills, lawsuits... Eventually this stuff rolls downhill.
    * The purpose of this company is almost specifically "to find investors" It really doesn't have a, good, solid offering on its own. We have product people, but they aren't really given the resources to really make a great product top-to-bottom.
    * Generally, looking at things, if there's a way forward, I see it pretty far off.

Advice to Management

If you're really looking for investors, we really need to find our voice as one. We're kind of this hodge-podge of an ecom business, a next-gen TV apps business, a merchandise shipping business. If we really sat down and thought about what we need to do to make TV/shopping/entertainment one cohesive thing, and then supported that---we might have a shot. But instead, we're too busy shaping our accounting by either hiring/firing what we need to, to get more capital. Which makes sense because I would say we're 2 years away from any good grand vision coming to fruition, but we need money now.

"*@%*@!&%#&*"

I have been working at Delivery Agent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All my co-workers are amazing, I've built strong relationships within the my office and across the company.

Cons

The executive army (yes army, there is an army of them) here seem to have no idea on what they're doing and lack communication skills across the board. There have been some major changes recently and Im expecting some more.

The new HR has caused major uprisings. An amazing executive just resigned which is going to create a downward spiral and has brought people to think that things are going to get worse better they get better.

Advice to Management

Treat people the way you would like to be treated. Don't randomly layoff the good hard working people. Learn to communicate. Don't act like you're better than everyone else. Don't show up at other offices with no regard to introduce yourself to others. Be present and show that you care if you want people to stick around.

"Flawed, but fun"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crozet, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crozet, VA

I have been working at Delivery Agent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most people here are happy with their jobs. My experience was nothing like the depressing reviews on Glassdoor. There's a lot of tenure among employees and because of that a lot of business relationships within the company are based on strong friendship. I have no experience among the upper ranks, but the C-level and below employees are definitely a group without much ego and who carry a lot of mutual respect.

Cons

It took an extraordinary amount of time to start talking to people. Starting out here felt like moving to a new town where the residents were wary of strangers. That's probably due to a lot of tenure, but nevertheless unsettling for a new employee. Once you break through that barrier, the experience is very good.

Work-wise there are a lot of last-minute emergencies. The leverage in client relationships is one-sided, so long term projects or improvements must always be moved aside if a client wants something 'today'.

Most worrying are the financials. The bulk of the revenue comes from making margin on product sales, and unfortunately the environment where they operate is not favorable to that margin. The business development team must set client-favorable deals in order to land big clients. Those big clients then make up the bulk of sales, so the majority of products going out the door have poor margins. Meanwhile, selection of merchandise is mostly in the hands of clients, who have no incentive to make sure DA get a nice profit for getting all their work in marketing, purchasing and delivery. There are other revenue streams, but the dilemma of product margins is inescapable. They are the bulk the of the revenue generation, and product sales are DA's ultimate value-add. There are plenty of internal folks working to fix this situation, but they are facing an uphill battle unless the business's strategy or circumstances change dramatically.

Advice to Management

Get acquired by a larger eCommerce operator. Take advantage of their merchandising ability and shipping deals to get some breathing room on product margin. Keep the client services group and business development and keep doing what DA does best - making clients happy.

Barring that, set a rigorous BD, Merchandising and Finance deal-approval process that ensures margins are protected for the life of each deal. Let big-name clients walkaway from the table if they can't comply. Fix the unpleasant margin problem first and make sure you can survive if the sexy technology-driven projects don't pay off soon. Then go back to any clients you may have lost when you're in a better place to offer value. But of course, that's easier said than done.

"It's a company"

I have been working at Delivery Agent full-time

Pros

I have worked here for a while and I find a lot of the reviews on glassdoor for our company a little comical. If you have ever peaked behind the curtain of a fast growing company you will find us not too different from any other company. I personally feel a lot of the negative reviews are not a fair representation of us on glassdoor. We really do get to work on cool things for really big clients and that is personally rewarding. The culture is pretty good and we do know how to have fun. Despite whatever cons I list below I'm still here so it can't be the torture everyone else is talking about on glassdoor.

Cons

Work life balance is a challenge here. We are always understaffed so we spend most of our time reacting to emergencies. Any long term plans often go sideways because we don't have the staff to execute and the curve balls from up above are often large and the distraction mill is always turning. The executives have much bigger aspirations than they are willing to staff for. Career growth is also pretty rough. You may get some small raises but don't expect a growth path for your position. You will likely leave with the same title you started with and no training or education for career growth.

Advice to Management

Listen to your subject matter experts. If you keep swapping them out because you don't like what you hear, yet the new ones come to the same conclusions of the old ones, they are probably not lying to you. Learn to listen to the hard truths you staff is telling you. Some of us really do care about the company.

8. "Great employees"

I have been working at Delivery Agent full-time

Pros

Best team I've ever worked with.

Cons

Location is a bit remote.

"Great coworkers, terrible upper management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Delivery Agent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Among the rank and file employees and lower tier management there are mostly great people who work hard and are easy to get along with.

Cons

Upper management sees everyone below them as expendable numbers that they can do whatever they want with. They have let people go multiple times who were valued team members and left a skills and experience vacuum in their place and their teammates have pick up the pieces. They talk about how we all "owners" of the company during crazy busy times (August through December) so we don't quit from exhaustion, and then forget about us the rest of the year. The emphasis is all on squeezing as much work out of each employee as possible, so there is no time to think ahead or do quality work.

Advice to Management

You better rethink your staffing strategy or all your skilled and experienced employees will either quit or be laid off for cheaper substitutions, and the only people left will be junior with no one to train them and terrible morale.

"No career boost here"

Former Employee - Senior Level in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Level in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Delivery Agent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location
    Food/drink
    Fully paid benefits
    casual atmosphere
    fun industry
    flexible hours
    nice people

Cons

Not much growth,
    no learning opportunities - I felt no more enriched when I left than I did when I started here. I learned more at my next job in 3 months than at DA after several years
    dead end job
    Made weird hiring decisions
    I personally did not have respect for management (poor decisions, not smart) and couldn't see myself continuing to waste my time here

Advice to Management

invest in your workforce - train, educate, empower, promote

"Direction always changing, flawed management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Delivery Agent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in the entertainment industry was fun and interesting. Still a young, start-up company.

Cons

High turnover, management was flawed and played favoritism and they were always looking to get ahead, did not support growth, direction was always changing, allowed clients to run them rather than vice versa. Compensation was not competitive.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favoritism and appreciate your employees who actually do the work.

Delivery Agent Response

Nov 20, 2014 – VP, HR

Thank you for your input, both positive and constructive. We look at our turnover on a quarterly basis and it is in line with industry data. Compensation is performance based and all our ... More