Dell Inside Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael S. Dell

1. "Inside Sales Rep II"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative II in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative II in Nashville, TN

I worked at Dell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent starting salary compared to a lot of others places with similar roles. No matter when you hire in you will have vacation to start but it will be prorated. Ability to gain an additional $20k in bonuses/spifs each year.

Cons

Can be very political depending on dept/who your managers are, especially if you are looking to get promoted. Quotas can be a little ridiculous and almost unattainable at certain times

Advice to Management

Stop being so political

Dell Response

Apr 3, 2017 – Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your honest and thorough review of your experience with Dell. The leadership team (and our readers) value your feedback!

2. "Great employer"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Dell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Independent, great company if you are driven and can achieve goals, having the right manager and being on the right team is key

Cons

There are so many moving parts in an organization this size. Therefore, logistics can be challenging. Also, layoffs occur on occassion, but that is the case with almost every tech conpany.

Advice to Management

Invest in rop performers fiscally, provide mobility, extra training and NEVER Micromanage. If you have to micromanage an employee, they should not work there. This is a professional environment for people who want to work.

3. "Pay is great"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative II in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative II in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Lots of time off. You work for your pay which gives you room to grow your paycheck. Coaches are helpful

Cons

Too many hours. Not enough life/work balance. You have everything you need to work from home but they do not allow it unless it's across the floor

Advice to Management

N/a

"Inside Product Specialist"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Products are great. Company has a great brand.

Cons

Incredibly difficult to get product to ship. The operations team does not take feedback well and have lost major deals because of delays in shipping.

Advice to Management

Work on streamlining operations and have inventory of product readily available.

6. "It was hard work and long hours, but teammates and mangers made it worth it."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative IV in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative IV in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My teammates were a big part of what made me happy. Managers were good and there was lots of support for making the job better.

Cons

One of the biggest challenges was long work hours. I averaged probably 50 to 60 hours a week in order to hit my quota.

Advice to Management

Try to help get work weeks to 50 hours or less.

"Used to be a Fantastic Company"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative II in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative II in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, week off during Christmas time, good resume builder

Cons

When I first started at Dell, I absolutely loved my job. It took a bit to build my pipeline and learn the business, but once I got rolling, it was great. There were stressful parts of it at times of course, but that is expected in sales positions. Quotas were attainable if you worked really hard and growth was completely realistic. If you worked hard, met your quota and were a good employee, you could advance and move up in the company. Upper management were great, and were always offering extra added incentives to boost employee satisfaction and morale, and give incentive to work harder. A lot has changed in the past two years and the company is no longer even close to the same culture it was in the beginning of my career with Dell. The pressure from upper management was at an all time high, I had some of the most incredible managers when I started here, all of which have since moved on as a result of the new culture that has been created. I have seen several people, extremely good reps that have been with the company 10+ years, get let go last year, and Dell hire a new person to take over those accounts as a level I when the account set requires a level III or IV person to manage it. I had also witnessed several territories get split up and added to different rep's territories and the reps who were previously in those territories, get let go in blink of an eye. I understand the merger brings layoffs and they must cut the slack in certain areas, but I saw several very good reps, that made a lot of money for the company and knew their business extremely well, get let go, when there were other available positions they could have moved them into. From my observation, there seemed to be a lot of this going on in an effort to make cost cuts from the EMC merger. They were also in the process of changing the base/commission split from 70/30 to 60/40 when I left the company. There had been so much added pressure at the end, from what we were told, in an effort to weed people out. It was extremely difficult, almost impossible to move up into a higher role, or even from an ISR II to ISR III. This feeling was mutual throughout the my whole floor, my entire team was looking for a new career at the end of my time there, including several managers. I hope this is culture is only temporary through the merger as I think they have the potential to be incredibly successful as DellEMC if they make some serious changes.

Advice to Management

My biggest advise is hold onto your good employees! The ones who work incredibly hard to bring your company more business, they are the ones who will make the future successful and this transition smooth for your clients, not hiring a new level I rep who has to begin from scratch and build a brand new business. Reward those who perform well and bring back incentives that will encourage people to keep working hard. Make it possible for hard working reps to advance.

"Inside Sales - It's all about THE NUMBER"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative IV in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative IV in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Dell has some of the best technology in the market.
    Reputable brand name
    Great vision for IT and the market
    Good leadership (Michael Dell)
    If you work hard and have a good work ethic you will be successful.

Cons

Mysterious quota calculations - no one can tell you how your quota is calculated
    Commissions - TTC is based on 100% attainment of quota which is near to impossible.
    Success Tax - if you over attain expect to be hit with a quota success tax that is astronomical
    Politics and the Rat Race - it is exhausting
    You are only a number and you are there to hit a number.
    There is no quality selling skill needed to work here

Advice to Management

Quit micromanging from a spreadsheet and numbers that don't matter. Focus on your customers and your employees instead of THE NUMBER.

"Depends"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some managers are good. The exposure and education is what you make it. Use it, and you can propel your career.

Cons

Very unorganized. You have to get everything in writing. Depending on the team and organization you fall in, leadership can be unexperienced. Depending on the team you fall on the morale can vary.

Advice to Management

Don't pick favorites when hiring, pick of qualification. Invest in the people who are doing a great job, and your numbers will follow. Don't use people for your own benefit by falsely initializing hope for the future that may not exist.

10. "Inside Sales Rep II"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with
    Once you get a hang of it, it becomes an easy job that pays well
    They allow you to work overtime

Cons

Takes a while to build a pipeline, but once you have it the job becomes easy
    There is a decent amount of luck involved

Advice to Management

Loved my manager.

"Good place to start a career!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative I in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative I in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are awesome and helpful. I have expanded my professional network while making some life long friendships. Always stay connected.

Cons

Office politics make career progression difficult. They create so many obstacles to overcome that it winds up keeping most people in chair until well after their initial 18 month commitment.