Dell Reviews | Glassdoor

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell
Michael S. Dell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • One must manage their own work/life balance (in 340 reviews)

• Upper management isn't listening to concerns (in 133 reviews)

"Miss EMC"

I have been working at Dell full-time

Pros

Get the week of Christmas off without using paid time off

Cons

Dell IT is chaotic so if you thrive on chaos and you're in IT, this is the place for you. Dell IT Leadership seems to make hasty decisions. Multiple rounds of lay-offs have led to low morale. Some of the legacy EMC IT Leadership seems to care more about what Dell Leadership thinks and are forgetting to listen to and take care of their employees...the leadership was much better prior to the merger. Too much emphasis on cost cutting in Dell, many of the IT jobs are being moved overseas. Benefits have decreased post the merger, they were better at EMC. Culture code is good in theory, behavior being exhibited by a lot of the IT Leadership is contrary to the culture code.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your employees
    - Train your managers on what good leadership is
    - Understand what the industry best practices are for IT and how Dell IT compares to them

"Aweful Place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility
    not really sure what is left after dell bought us.

Cons

- ACR increase after dell purchased us 2.55% (worst its every been when EMC was separate)
    - Company cut long term bonus plan by 50% for all employees
    - Dell only cares about paying his purchase price off
    - after Dell purchase, trying to promote or even take your team to lunch is a Hell NO

Advice to Management

Paying off the 64B is not always the first priority. The merger has made our jobs hell and we have survived and took care of business, but it seems all Dell cares about is saving the bottom line. EMC was a better place when it was alone.

"Not good since the merger. No communication. Turf Wars. No Partnerships or common goals."

Current Employee - Anonymous in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at Dell full-time

Pros

Glass door requires me to input 20 words here. So far I'm up to fifteen. I only need five more

Cons

There is no job security. Management has no visibility of holistic view making them incompetent to lead toward common goals (whatever those may be). Self serving agendas. There is no empowerment and there also isn't trust

"It's all about the bottom dollar."

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some pretty awesome people working for this company.
    Decent benefits and decent pay.
    It's really hard to come up with many pros, sadly.

Cons

To keep it simple, here is the list of struggles at the company:
    1. Lack of female leadership throughout the entire company.
    2. Horrible work-life balance
    3. My manager has had multiple complaints about her from vendors and other co-workers within the company, yet HR chalks it up to a communication issue. She is a bully.
    4. I wanted to like Dell, but post merger they continued to make changes that made it feel like they cared more about profit than the employees.
    5. Having worked for several large companies, this is by far the worst employment experience I've ever had.

5. "Deleted all evidence of work"

Former Employee - Network Operating Systems Analyst
    Former Employee - Network Operating Systems Analyst

I worked at Dell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Michael Dell called my desktop twice during my tenure at Dell. The first time was to make sure I would be viable after I volunteered to take a furlough. Mr. Dell also assured me he would pay me back. The second time, he called to yell at me for a customer escalation. I did fix it.

Cons

Before coming to Dell and during my tenure I had established with linux kernel developers via the linux kernel mailing list. I was able to use my relationship between Dell Engineering and the opensource team to make introduction and solve problems for Dell. I gained a lot of visibility with both teams.

Under duress a Dell leverage my relationship with the linux team and donated servers for the mailing linux. The trade off was, linux kernel team deleted all traces of my contribution to the linux kernel from the archive. The reasoning was because they, in my opinion, was they felt threaten because at the time I was a low level employee, and could leverage the major players for the linux kernel. This went all the up to a VP level.

Dell culture is one that they will hire anyone regardless of education. However, a lot of people feel very insecure about the jobs.

Before, I left the company, various account teams leveraged me a lot to resolve the customer escalation. I worked a very high level, and all my customer escalation were resolved. I was there "goto guy".

The reason for the review is since, After, I left the company for a number of years on the Dell EMC companies recruited me for a performance engineer job. It would have been great to show my linux contribution history.

Advice to Management

Be kind, and do not delete people work contributions.

6. "Anti-American"

I worked at Dell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits package was above average.

Cons

Dell wants 2/3rds of its work force to be off-shore. So many Americans are being laid off to accomplish that ratio.

7. "Account Mgr"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home. They give free lunches so you can stay at your desk and work .

Cons

Over worked, promises not met.

Advice to Management

Learn the job before getting into management. We are not just numbers . We are human and not robots . Be realistic per goal.

"Too much management, not enough talent."

Former Employee - IT Engineer, Senior in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - IT Engineer, Senior in Seattle, WA

I worked at Dell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Profitable company that distinctly has a financial future.

Cons

There seems to be no real distinct Dell culture, outside of the traces of culture that float around from other companies it has acquired. For the most part the company is embodiment of the old IBM stereo-typical "shirt and tie" business model that died with the boom of tech startups.

Dell seems to be demonstrating a desire to prove that it can manage the merger of companies that it acquires regardless of how much mind-share/talent/culture it looses during the acquisition. At one point in time we had 1 Manager and 2 Project Managers overseeing the work of 6 IT administrators. All the while we were being told that our future would be pivoting the focus to process/procedure over productivity/performance.

"Engineering"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people who are simply not paying attention to the approaching slaughter.

Cons

Pay, slashing benefits, laying off quality people because they are too highly paid.
    Hiring kids because they are cheap and look 'cooler' and modern. But they cant change their own diapers. Wont be long before this experiment fails. This is no longer a PC business. This is real with really big customers and really big, high profile problems. Let the kids try to handle that.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees like they are 12 year old kids and are simply not transparent with the strategy. Everyone knows why they want people to work from home. Its not work/life balance, its saving facilities costs for goodness sake. And there are constant discussions in the hallways about collapsing business units so why doesnt our great leadership team come out and say it? Its not rocket science and everyone knows it is coming.

10. "Once was enough"

I worked at Dell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good learning experience for new hardware and software

Cons

Management is a huge mess that only promotes the lazy buddy.

Dell Response

Jul 12, 2017 – candidate and employee experience team

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Showing 590 of 9,525 reviews