Dell Reviews | Glassdoor

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell
Michael S. Dell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • One must manage their own work/life balance (in 346 reviews)

• Upper management isn't listening to concerns (in 134 reviews)

"Professional Work Environment...No, Not in the least!"

I worked at Dell as a contractor

Pros

Higher than average salary for the Austin area. Robust product line.

Cons

Lack of training for the position. Co-workers trying to set you up for failure. Said on the job description that you work from home, but you can't because director and co-workers would ask are you at your desk? And then point out, you should be at work. All work is scrutinized by co-worker and then gives a "you should know this" instead of training. Co-worker asking personal questions like your age and when I wouldn't provide, stated she would do a background search on me. Reported this to the director who did nothing except cancel my contract.

Advice to Management

Spend more time vetting your own employees. See how they get along with others and if they are true team players. Stop taking and dumping on contractors. Dell could be a great company to work for either contract or perm but your company has some really horrible employees that ruin your reputation and lower your NPS score. Especially in Consumer and SMB Marketing.

2. "Dell Technologies Employment Review"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer - Platform in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer - Platform in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very few
    Location is Round Rock, TX

Cons

Poorly managed.
    No cost of living salary increase for past several years.
    Poor product quality.
    The customers experience is work with Dell to fix the bugs.

Advice to Management

Learn from your past mistakes.
    Ship a quality product.

3. "Horrible Company"

Former Employee - Server Support Engineer in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Server Support Engineer in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management will help you move up if you do the work of ten slaves.

Cons

Impossible metrics to meet. Your boss will write you up for a bad survey even when the customer who gave the survey said was not your fault. Working at Dell, was like working in a salt mine, a snake pit, and a cesspool.

Advice to Management

Follow Dell Code of ethics when dealing with your employees.

4. "Software Senior Principal Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Senior Principal Engineer in Hopkinton, MA
    Current Employee - Software Senior Principal Engineer in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None currently - it used to be a good place to work.

Cons

All titles have been removed, managers are now back to Individual contributors with same workload and no growth opportunities - salaries are very low and not competitive. College hires make more money than employees who have been here 10+ years

Advice to Management

Reward your senior experienced engineers and keep them, salaries are very low for experienced long time employees. New college hires are making more money.

"They don't do nice or professional in SMB/Consumer Marketing"

I worked at Dell as a contractor

Pros

Large corporation with many moving parts. Contractor salaries are average for the Austin area, work from home options(sometimes) and travel if you job requires.

Cons

Contracting at Dell is horrible. Being a marketing professional with over 15 years experience, this position reminded me of getting hazed while pledging my fraternity during my college years. Dealt with immature co-workers who take delight in setting you up for failure. Training which is non-existent and a director who couldn't care less.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Get rid of all the underwhelming employees you currently have. The millennials, the jaded 40 somethings....just purge! If you hire a contractors listen to what they are telling you. The drama is coming from your employees not the contractors.

"Typical dysfunctional corporation, with an added twist!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Dell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reasonable opportunity for promotion, lively culture.

Cons

I was hired as an Inside Sales Representative. My first experience working at Dell was this: I was given a written job offer and accepted it, the offer and pay rate was good. About one week later, I was contacted by HR, and told they made a "mistake." I was given a "revised" offer, for $20,000/year less. It was a take-it-or-leave it offer. The level of disorganization, mixed messages, and buggy-unreliable order entry systems continued the legacy set by this initial experience.

In order to meet the incredibly high sales goals, overtime was encouraged. The reality was, it was necessary to work at least 50 hours/week to have a prayer of meeting these outrageous goals. The level of stress and demand was insane. Inbound calls would be coming in as you were expected to respond to 200 plus emails a day at the same time. This was all to make a paycheck about the same as a tenured Starbucks employee. That is, if you were the lucky few that met goal.

Everyday things were a convoluted struggle. When an order was placed, it would often be cancelled by Dell's operations department, somewhere in India, for arbitrary and unexplained reasons. The sales rep needed to do the bidding of explaining this to upset customers, and waste their valuable time/efficiency, fixing the order, often for little or no reward. The sales entry system went down every other day, and was rife with bugs and errors. Often it took several minutes to simply determine what account could be "worked," because there were innumerable duplicate accounts, and the owner (dedicated sales rep) of the account was unclear. This is because the order entry system would never let you delete an account. Once it was created, it was there forever. As a result, customers would often have dozens of accounts to their name, with outdated addresses and information, making order entry a nightmare. No matter how many times a customer requested old information be purged, it was impossible, leading to untold frustration and brand degradation for the company/ rep alike.

Advice to Management

Wow, a lot needs to be invested in stabilizing and cleaning up the order entry system. A more fair compensation, proportionate to the level of stress and demand, needs to be looked at, or constant turnover is to be expected.

"Large Micromanaged Company"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dell has great benefits that begin from day one. They have product events regularly with free food, t-shirts, and giveaways.

Cons

This company is way too large to be micromanaged on the scale that it is. Presidents, Executive VPs, VPs, and Regional Sales Directors should not be so involved in the day-to-day of the lower level employees. Dell also makes it difficult for their customers to budget for their IT needs because they constantly change prices; sometimes week-to-week.

Advice to Management

Manage the ones directly under you, and let the ones directly under you manage those directly under them. STOP CHANGING PRICES SO MUCH!

"Change or Die!"

I have been working at Dell full-time

Pros

large company, huge footprint now, tons of customers and partners, innovative technology

Cons

So far Change = Take something away every month. Every kind of perk or benefit or feature that isn't bolted down is being eliminated. Dell also loved them some H1b's (despite there being plenty of talent and skillset here stateside) so to adapt to the current administration in Washington there is a huge push to move everything and anything to COE (India) so it's definitely not a pro-american worker environment. Finally there are now what seems like thousands of VP's and each one is in charge of what seems like one thing. We get emails from every single one of them every single day for their particular responsibility (ex. laptops, training, expenses, benefits, sales, marketing, mobile, etc).

Advice to Management

Give American Workers a chance! We have the skillset,training, and experience.

"Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Dell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with my co-workers.

Cons

I just received my anniversary recognition bonus of $25.00 to be donated to one of the several charities Dell has pre selected for me to choose from. That is right no bonus, no raise just $25.00 dollars to be donated on my behalf.

10. "Ever since the company went Private"

Pros

It's a Paycheck but constant change.

Cons

Ever since the company went Private, there is no stock or equity sharing. Huge disappointment compared to other major companies.

Advice to Management

SHARE the Wealth.

Showing 604 of 9,759 reviews