Dell Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael S. Dell
4,853 Ratings

8,850 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance contingent on manager support (in 327 reviews)

• Upper management isn't listening to concerns (in 133 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong brand and market penetration. Michael Dell is fully engaged as a CEO.

Cons

Large company that can get is its own way sometimes - like most large organizations.

Advice to Management

Stay engaged

Dell Response

May 11, 2017 – Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thanks for the review! We appreciate the time you have taken to share your perspective with us and with our readers.

2. "A Square Dell, You Get Back What You Put In!"

Current Employee - Enterprise Server Support in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Enterprise Server Support in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Prior to my employment with Dell I had a very misguided misguided opinion of the companies ethics in regards to employees and day to day operations. This is due in part to the size of the corporation, with over 85,000 employees you are going to get some disgruntled individuals who don't mind altering the facts so they may benefit in some way.
    Their wages are not below nor above average, they are fair maket value at entry level. However their benefits go above and beyond the call of duty and more than make up for what's not received hourly. They provide excellent medical, dental, & vision with an option of PPO or EPO selection. the PPO (in network) selection covers the annual expense of most individuals quite adequately and if you complete a few surveys and enroll yourself in their health awareness programs will not cost you more than $400 annually. However, if you have needs for a specialist it is more advisable to select EPO which requires a $15 co-payment every visit and a $5/prescription co-payment on generic and $30 for non. Those prices at almost identical to the EPO plan with the only difference being that EPO wi ll not cover physicians outside of their network while PPO does with little difference. Annually, PPO only ends up costing me $200 more and unless your budget is stressed to the max and you or anyone in your family is never sick, makes up for the difference quickly.
    401k is also provided and the company has a matching ratio of 5% of your annual gross salary. Access to benefits is available to employees 24/7 and if you need financial planning advice you can contact the benefits center or request to be matched with a licensed financial planner. There is also an option to purhase stock quarterly. The most impressive feature of these benefits is that you are eligible for almost all the first day of employment and they become active as soon as you complete your enrollment. All employees are given two weeks paid vacation and a weeks worth of sick days which are available upon arrival.
    Concerening advancement, M. Dell states it best when he says "dress for the position you want". There are so many career oppurtunities within the company that the door is wide open for those whoi are willing to work and continue to learn during employment. They have a tuition reimburesement program for outside institutions as well as corporate educational oppourtunities.
    This company is stocked full of exceptionally bright individuals and there is a global presence all around. It amazes me daily how they are able to deal with the idiosyncrasies that come with high IQ's, the tolerance and accepotance is commendable. All in all, they want for, and will help you, to become successful. Every oppurtunity that could possibly be available is but if you fail to capitalize your roll in the company will be short indeed.

Cons

the corporation is in a constant state of change and you never know what job you'll be doing next. If you tend to be a creature of habitwho prefers not to deal with the challenges (stress) accompanied by change, this is not the place for you. It's structured much like the military, without all the "busy work".
    Word of advice, be sure to comply always and watch your attendance, there are many people who want to be there if you don'tand no one there is a slacker for long; they will, and do, trim fat often.

Advice to Management

Honestly, they are pretty alright in my book. There are little things but why even bother, the majoroity of the time they will work with you beyond measure as long as they see you care and try.

I am very grateful and humbled by the oppurtunities I am afforded as an employee of DELL, thank you.

3. "Work Hard, Play Hard"

Current Employee - Marketing Senior Analyst in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Senior Analyst in Round Rock, TX

Pros

Dell is the first employer I have stayed with more than a year. I first joined Dell as an entry level sales person to get a good company on my resume. Dell rewards hard work and dedication - with both pay incentives and career opportunities. The personal development I've had from Dell has been amazing. They try to keep the environment at work fun a fun place.

The benefits are also amazing, the pay is more than competitive, and the environment is challenging. This is not the place to be if you want to coast and just get a paycheck, but it is the place to be if you want to work hard and get the most out of everything you do. The people that work at Dell have been the most open and compassionate people I have come across in any working environment. Dell (and its people) encourages you to be who you are, not just a corporate clone.

Cons

Dell is very results focused. It's fast paced and ever changing. You can't do one thing well only once, and expect to coast the rest of your career. You have to consistently perform well. Things change on a dime. I have worked for Dell for 5 years (both in Nashville, TN and in Round Rock, Tx) and the longest span of time that I have had the same manager was 12 months.

When I was in sales, I consistently worked 60 hour work weeks. Dell is not a job you can leave at work, either. It permeates every part of your life. You find yourself talking about work with friends and family outside of work, and they have no idea what you are talking about. When two Dell people talk about work with others, I've been told it's like we speak a completely different language.

Advice to Management

Recognition on the sales floor was easy and a matter of fact business. It's a bit more difficult in non-sales roles, but I'd like to see it accomplished more.

4. "The best company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Round Rock, TX

Pros

the contest money, the schedule picks, the professionalism, the atmosphere, career opportunities

Cons

communication, pressure, training is not as good as it should be but they are in the process of changing that.

Advice to Management

communication is important

5. "Its about learning and having fun."

Current Employee - Production Senior Associate in Lebanon, TN
    Current Employee - Production Senior Associate in Lebanon, TN

Pros

There are many great opportunities to move up in the ranks throughout Dell. And the pay is great. Training is not your normal regular training were you go into a room listen to 10 boring presentations then go home and do it again the next day. Training is actually fun. They did many fun activities through out the day. Some activities had to do with what we learned that day and some where just to make sure we were awake.

Cons

THe only downside that there might be is a lot of overtime, but really i don't consider it a real downside because its more money.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Training was fun. We had our normal class lessons but we also played games throught the day to liven up the day.

6. "A Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

The opportunity to have global career and experience across many different groups
    The products now coming out of Dell and planned for the future are leading edge and really cool\
    The pay, benefits and bonuses are good, it's a real pay for performance culture so if you are good you get rewarded for your work

Cons

The complex matrix structure can be hard to navigate and at times frustrating
    It's a tough time in the industry right now overall and this is affecting all of the tech sector

Advice to Management

Keeps showing strong leadership and keep the communications flowing

7. "Great place to work that has problems just like every other large company."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Round Rock, TX

Pros

Meritocracy. Dell will reward you based on how you perform. Easy to find a career path.

Cons

Politics. Slow to change. Tools development for the business needs could use improvement.

Advice to Management

If we've truly decided to make a change in our direction, then we need to follow through with that. Trust your employees to help you do it... you have a lot of really smart people working for you. Enable them to help you with what's right for the company and stop worrying so much about building your own little kingdoms.

8. "Come work at Dell!!!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Buffalo Grove, IL

Pros

Great place to work and to further your career. Dell is a Fortune 500 company, and just having the Dell name on your resume can go a long way.

Cons

I think that sometimes the process of having a person moved into a better position takes a little longer than it should. Lenght of time a person has been in a particular role seems to be an advantage when trying to move upward.

Advice to Management

Promotions should be based on job performance as opposed to lengh of employment.

Dell Response

Mar 9, 2015 – Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Great review - thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

9. "Good experience at Dell"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Round Rock, TX

Pros

Interesting projects, cool people, ability to make an impact, but there also the ability to be yourself. People and managers are pretty flexible as long as you are engaged and get your work done. Company is looking for people to take initiative, and will provide (enough) resources in order to get the job done. You also have access to senior leadership, if necessary.

Cons

Some lack of information, but it is getting better. It is easier to get company wide info than info specifically tied to your area or team.

Advice to Management

Keep people more informed

10. "Even in a bleak economy, Dell is a great place to work..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Pros

The culture, and our commitment to being a good neighbor in the community, make Dell a great place to work. Dell is dedicated to being a "green" company, and our environment needs attention from those who have the ability to have an impact.

Cons

Technology is a very, very competitive field. In order to maintain growth and margin, big changes will have to occur. These will eventually come more and more at the expense of employees and their benefits. It's just the nature of the business.

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of the workforce the best you can. Keep us competitive in the marketplace so we can continue to work and build the company's future.

Showing 8,850 of 9,214 reviews