Dell Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2017
1,119 reviews

1,119 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is not a big concern (in 325 reviews)

• Upper management isn't listening to concerns (in 130 reviews)

"Used to be a Fantastic Company"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative II in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative II in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, week off during Christmas time, good resume builder

Cons

When I first started at Dell, I absolutely loved my job. It took a bit to build my pipeline and learn the business, but once I got rolling, it was great. There were stressful parts of it at times of course, but that is expected in sales positions. Quotas were attainable if you worked really hard and growth was completely realistic. If you worked hard, met your quota and were a good employee, you could advance and move up in the company. Upper management were great, and were always offering extra added incentives to boost employee satisfaction and morale, and give incentive to work harder. A lot has changed in the past two years and the company is no longer even close to the same culture it was in the beginning of my career with Dell. The pressure from upper management was at an all time high, I had some of the most incredible managers when I started here, all of which have since moved on as a result of the new culture that has been created. I have seen several people, extremely good reps that have been with the company 10+ years, get let go last year, and Dell hire a new person to take over those accounts as a level I when the account set requires a level III or IV person to manage it. I had also witnessed several territories get split up and added to different rep's territories and the reps who were previously in those territories, get let go in blink of an eye. I understand the merger brings layoffs and they must cut the slack in certain areas, but I saw several very good reps, that made a lot of money for the company and knew their business extremely well, get let go, when there were other available positions they could have moved them into. From my observation, there seemed to be a lot of this going on in an effort to make cost cuts from the EMC merger. They were also in the process of changing the base/commission split from 70/30 to 60/40 when I left the company. There had been so much added pressure at the end, from what we were told, in an effort to weed people out. It was extremely difficult, almost impossible to move up into a higher role, or even from an ISR II to ISR III. This feeling was mutual throughout the my whole floor, my entire team was looking for a new career at the end of my time there, including several managers. I hope this is culture is only temporary through the merger as I think they have the potential to be incredibly successful as DellEMC if they make some serious changes.

Advice to Management

My biggest advise is hold onto your good employees! The ones who work incredibly hard to bring your company more business, they are the ones who will make the future successful and this transition smooth for your clients, not hiring a new level I rep who has to begin from scratch and build a brand new business. Reward those who perform well and bring back incentives that will encourage people to keep working hard. Make it possible for hard working reps to advance.

"Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work life balance and still has many of the perks of a large company, although many of those are rumored to be going away. Very strong brand recognition in the market place.

Cons

The merger won't be able to address the declining markets that the company addresses. Amidst all the change caused by the integration, revenue continues to decline. As a result, it's clear people are using politics to jockey for positions to protect themselves.

Advice to Management

Find new growth markets to move into instead of continuously cutting costs in the declining markets. The constant fear of cuts is bad for morale and brings out the worst in people.

"Depends"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some managers are good. The exposure and education is what you make it. Use it, and you can propel your career.

Cons

Very unorganized. You have to get everything in writing. Depending on the team and organization you fall in, leadership can be unexperienced. Depending on the team you fall on the morale can vary.

Advice to Management

Don't pick favorites when hiring, pick of qualification. Invest in the people who are doing a great job, and your numbers will follow. Don't use people for your own benefit by falsely initializing hope for the future that may not exist.

5. "consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell (More than a year)

Pros

opportunity for advancement is available

Cons

work life effectiveness is a challenge

6. "Customer Service Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Dell (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility for management is great. Also, a lot of extra hours of overtime is not required.

Cons

Low pay, flexibility for non management is not great. Also no consistent raises or bonuses in the last few years.

"Technical Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Enterprise Solutions Specialist in Moore, OK
    Current Employee - Enterprise Solutions Specialist in Moore, OK

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your peers and most of the lower level management are amazing.

Cons

Morale is at an all time low pre and post EMC merger. People are getting let go, and quitting every few weeks. Dell enforces policies only when it is convenient to them. Pay if you're not hitting your quota is not so great. Most attainments are inconsistent and rely heavily on getting a "good" territory or account set. So you'll have individuals who don't work half as hard are you do, or are not near technical or sales proficient enough to excel, who will hit they're quota two, three, four times over and then you'll have the dedicated work force struggle via a tough low spend account set. Nothing seems distributed evenly.

Advice to Management

What happened Dell??? Go back to how things worked internally two years ago. You're a great company, quality team members should be beating down your door to work for you, now they can't run away fast enough!

"Constant threats of layoffs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

Pros

Flex work arrangements/ allow working from home.

Cons

No investment in employees specially very hard to get training approved.
    Politics and bad middle tier management
    No innovation

Advice to Management

Listen to various view points don't try to impose fear to make everyone a yes man.

9. "Mixed"

Former Employee - Client Field Services Desktop Support Team Lead in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Field Services Desktop Support Team Lead in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Dell (More than a year)

Pros

Dell Services / NTT Data is subcontracted by different companies for their IT services. Too soon to tell if they are going to be as good of a company to work for as Dell was now that NTT Data has acquired the services

Cons

Different client models have completely different structures that don't always mesh when there are acquisitions or mergers. Management can be either fantastic and cooperative or horrendous and difficult

10. "Senior software engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The salary is not too bad.
    The work environment is not too bad.
    People are not too bad.

Cons

it is a private company, they do layoff every year.
    The immigration policy is not very good for the international employee.

"It was good.."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative II in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative II in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are an industry average - decent matching on 401k, insurance is ok.. though definitely could be better. You do get 2 full weeks of time off plus a full holiday week off at the end of the year which is nice. Once you complete 3 full years, you'll get an additional week off the following year.

Cons

Changing culture and its going down hill, micromanagement is at its worst currently, the claim for career progressions is always made.. but management does nothing to help you get there. I haven't had a raise since I started as there seems to always be some random 'gotcha' associated with it though i've taken on additional responsibilities to show that I deserve it.

Salary/Pay lags behind most of our competitors currently, with no raises on the horizon according to higher ups given the company is buying up companies left and right.

Advice to Management

Reward your employees. Stop the micromanagement. A lot of your sales people have been working in sales for years, and know how to do their job. Management needs to really get it through their head that you can't set the same sales guidelines across the entire company. Small and medium business operated different than State and Local, and large corporations buy different than the federal government. Quit trying to treat us all the same.

Hold your managers accountable on promotions as well. I've asked repeatedly for the past few months on items needed so that I can network across the company to jump into another part of the company. Its been crickets from management.. every time.. b/c they are so wrapped up in micromanaging us that they forget or just feel that its not something that is important enough.

There's a reason why half of my team has been interviewing with other companies, and each one would state that one or more of these issues are the reason.

Showing 1,119 of 9,012 reviews