Deloitte Reviews in Arlington, VA | Glassdoor

Updated January 20, 2019

Arlington, VA

3.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Most people look for work life balance which you can find in deloitte" (in 1662 reviews)

• "Good work culture and work life balance" (in 999 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance needs a check" (in 4243 reviews)

• "You will have no work life balance as you are expected to work a minimum of 65 hours some weeks" (in 887 reviews)

1. "Federal Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, pay, great coworkers, and a seemingly never ending wealth of knowledge. The managers are usually great, Deloitte seems to really care about you, and you are treated with respect.

Cons

Sometimes there can be long hours and the firm expects you to contribute to pro-bono work on top of your normal hours. Can be a high stress environment (with high reward).

Advice to Management

Rapidly develop a Federal expansion so that consultants are not limited to primarily Washington, DC.

2. "Great Place to Work...If You Get the Right Project and Meet the Right People"

Former Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Opportunities for continuous education

Cons

* Getting stuck on a project where you aren't engaged can make it a frustrating experience; some accounts will try to trap their people from moving
    * Firm and contract leadership is more interested in making practitioners stay on current projects than encouraging them to grow. As a result, people leave the firm to escape and find growth elsewhere, so it's a self-fulfilling cycle.
    * Very difficult to negotiate salary increases
    * Salary is not brought to parity with others of the same title/experience upon promotion

Advice to Management

* Have more salary transparency
    * Have more performance evaluation transparency so that practitioners can see the relationship between their evaluation and compensation (RPM 2.0 isn't working because it actually reduced transparency - the scatterplots and other performance factors don't correlate with compensation)
    * 360 Feedback should be factored into the formal performance evaluation of Managers and above and should be mandatory and conducted more than once a year (I've witnessed abdication of duty by Managers and Sr Managers who don't coach their people or provide adequate guidance to the projects for which they are responsible, yet they keep advancing; this frustrates the junior practitioners who decide to leave instead)
    * Enforce utilization expectations on Sr Managers and Managers to be in line with firm policy (there's too many mixed messages where the firm will state policy, but contract leadership will exert coercive pressure on junior practitioners on hours within fixed price contracts)

3. "DC Consultant"

Former Employee - DC Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - DC Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic people and collaborative environment

Cons

Poor work/life balance on some projects; a lot of politics to move up

4. "Great benefits but are deceiving"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, lasting relationships with people that can be friends, can be easy to do task that does not look at your education, has training opportunities

Cons

Overworked, low bonuses, hard to transfer to other offices, hard to transfer to work worldwide, too much red tape, training opportunities ONLY favor certain line of individuals, too much politics, so many to name. Here is my long story:

I started at Deloitte as a Associate level now known as Project Delivery. I had about five interviews in one day and I highly prepared for it, but it was nothing like a case study it was more like a typical interview; strength, weaknesses, why should we pick you and etc. Later I was talking with a PPD about my salary and what I should earn. I negotiated as best as I could but had no other offers, so I was low balled. I was hired and satisfied.

Coming orientation day; they gave me the wrong address and I ended being late. Really nice :-/. Anyways I was lucky to be staffed as many people were just entering the firm with no project. The orientation promised all these things such as training opportunities, Deloitte University, be able to travel, be able to move to other offices, and be able to work worldwide. While yes these are all true it's ONLY for some. Everyone does not get these opportunities. I only found out later that these were just ways to make people "excited."

My first project was a nightmare; management treated me like total garbage. Between the words I was worthless, not learning any skills and I would fail. They actually set me up for failure. When I finally was told to roll off I had to go to ethics as they told other projects not to hire me because my counselor at that time was best friends with the PM. It was really petty and disgusting that they wanted to ruin my career. I fought back hard and won and I was able to find a project more comfortably. I would say it was a long fight and prepare to be stressed if this ever happens. I had to talk to several offices, people, and had many countless nights of no sleep because I really thought my world was crashing down. I found out later the PM an assistant manager was having relations in the office late at night and during the day as someone I knew caught them in the act. One of the managers still works at Deloitte today which I find very troubling.

Finally another project hired me and I am still with them. They can be a great set of people but so many manager shifts that it makes it tiring at times. Sometimes management just makes excuses to not let you obtain your goals and tons of red tape.

Associates became project delivery analysts and I have been stuck at this service line since I been hired. I been wanting to move out but there are so many rules and regulations that I always get rejected or hear another excuses. Project delivery people cant go to Deloitte University because we have to be 100% client deliverable; we do not get bench time either. Yes its a very predictable schedule but very hard to grow as a person. They want you to stay at your same role for long periods of time and they do not really like you to even move around lie consultants or specialists are allowed.

My last opportunity was a disaster as new people were hired and took this project I wanted to join. This would have been my way to switch tracks but of course Deloitte gave them funding and I was left in the dirt. Its unfortunate that people like this get to move up while throwing others under the bus.

Overall: It has great benefits and training opportunities but only for some. Others will not be able to grow and management can actually be helpful at times but Deloitte is filled with so much red tape it's discouraging. I feel at my age (which I am in my 30's) that I am stuck and do not know my next move sadly.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to invest in ALL your Deloitte employees. If someone is passionate to want to obtain their goals stop with the excuses. Pay is unevenly fair to only certain individuals

5. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Networking with other professionals in industry

Cons

Large environment and easy to get lost

Advice to Management

Keep working to provide culture of development, and not just based on metrics

6. "Not for everyone"

Current Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good Pay (Higher starting salary for entry level)

Cons

- They expect too much
    - You're expected to do client work as well as internal Deloitte work
    - Recruiters make it seem like you can choose which projects you work but thats a lie
    - You have to network your way up...

7. "Business Technology Consultant"

Current Employee - Business Technology Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Business Technology Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, quick advancements, great career learning opportunities, great training

Cons

expected to work more than 9 hours a day

8. "Pretty good"

Current Employee - Advisory Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Advisory Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wide range of opportunities, prestige, room for advancement, leadership generally open to change and responsive to criticism. Certainly no worse than any other large accounting firm, maybe better.

Cons

Salary lags a bit and seems only to rise significantly if you threaten to leave or are brought on as an experienced hire. Despite the wide range of opportunities, it's easy to get stuck on a particular project.

Advice to Management

Reduce turnover by increasing salaries. Student loan repayment assistance wouldn't hurt either.

9. "Cyber Risk Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment as well as work-life balance. There is much flexibility in being able to choose your projects and the career path you want to set within the firm. Benefits and work culture and the people are an added bonus as well.

Cons

Depends on project and work location. Compensation lower than market.

10. "Good company, but learn how it runs"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, flexibility in learning, and challenging

Cons

Sometimes long hours and performance evaluation needs work.

Showing 281 of 26,896 reviews