Deloitte Reviews in Arlington, VA | Glassdoor

Arlington, VA

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life Balance goes for a toss (in 3624 reviews)

• no work life balance for the employees (in 750 reviews)

1. "Consultant"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Deloitte invests in it's employees and emphasizes work life balance.

Cons

Large organization that can be difficult at first to navigate.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting and taking care employees

2. "Senior Consultant"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The firm is doing meaningful work and values it's employees and clients

Cons

nothing comes to mind at the moment

3. "Human Capital Consultant"

Former Employee - Human Capital Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Human Capital Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great training and development opportunities
    - Generally friendly and smart people
    - Many opportunities to network, make connections, and try new things since it is so big
    - Great benefits

Cons

- Feels too big -- you hear about cool things people are doing but somehow never manage to get there. Internal transfer process is really unwieldy and opaque. No wonder they have so much turnover at lower levels.
    - Not always competitive in salary

"Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing support and resources. Management will typically fight in your corner

Cons

They give you a lot of PTO that you are not allowed or expected to take. And if you take it, it could have negative impacts to your performance reviews

"Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, smart employees, compensation, training

Cons

Not very collaborative, internally competitive, difficult to build complementary engagement teams.

Advice to Management

Performance reviews are far too subjective.

6. "Federal Technology Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Worklife balance (most government clients allow only 40-45 hrs/week)
    - Great people and culture
    - Benefits: paid lunches, paid happy hours, paid late night Ubers, pre-tax transportation, 401k match, parental leave
    - Deloitte University is a top-notch training facility

Cons

- Internal firm initiatives are required
    - Year-end review is all about who knows you, rather than your performance

"Work-life balance claims are disingenuous"

Former Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTO
    Medical/dental/vision benefits
    Pension
    Generous travel allowance (stayed at the Ritz Carlton on the regular)

Cons

PTO (I'll explain below)
    Work-life balance
    Up-or-out culture

You do indeed get a lot of PTO, however, that PTO counts against you because it hits the main metric that is your everything statistic which is utilization. Basically, in order to take a care free vacation you have to work twice as hard to offset those non-productive PTO hours so your utilization rate will remain high. My last year there I was at ~125% utilization, had stellar feedback from my director and senior manager, and still only received an "average" rating. I saw many good, hard-working people get put on a performance improvement plan because their utilization rate wasn't at a suicidal level...

I think the only reason Deloitte wins Working Mother Best Place to Work and other similar awards that imply the firm has a solid work-life balance approach is due to the option to go part-time. Part-timers have a supreme amount of flexibility so sure, if they are taking those people into account then yeah, the work-life balance is amazing. However, for those of us that were full-time, you're nothing more than a hour billing machine to be oiled and milked for every last penny. I had some nights that I worked so hard and long that it didn't make sense to go to bed to only get an hour of sleep before I had to hop in the shower and get ready for my next day.

The culture is very clique driven. If you work outside of the mothership (DC area) you are at a severe disadvantage because you can't participate in the popularity contest that drives finding project work. People would brag about working on Christmas, Thanksgiving, and other holidays because that's what is expected of you if you want to advance. I stayed for a few years to get some resume beef and some excellent experience, then I had to move on otherwise the job was going to literally kill me.

Advice to Management

How about we be honest with ourselves when it comes to work-life balance? Maybe set the expectation that until you get to senior manager, it's going to be a slobber-knocker in the lower ranks to get promoted. Basically, the culture is like playing one long, boring, arduous game of Survivor and I think that needs to change.

8. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing, smart, and social group of people to work with. Great benefits.

Cons

Mandatory firm initiatives, working 40 hours a week is discouraged

Advice to Management

None

9. "Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work with smart, fun people on complex projects

Cons

Lack of clarity in the direction of projects can lead to confusion, delays, and frustration at times

Advice to Management

Spend more time on project management

"A company where you can map your own career"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hesitant to join Deloitte as an experienced hire, and as a single parent with children, having read reviews from where long hours, and travel were frequent. The opportunity to work in the federal work space and an interesting project convinced me to join, and of course, the Deloitte brand. Federal consulting does not require as much travel, and I am fortunate to be in projects that are local. You have the opportunity to work with amazing federal agencies and smart and wonderful colleagues in Deloitte. There are managers or colleagues that are sub-par, micro managers or terrible to work with, but that is par for the course in a large management consulting firm. But if you're in a good project, stick with it. What I enjoy most is the opportunity to do other things than your day-to-day project work - volunteer, train, mentor, make an impact which all contribute to one's career success at the firm. I have been here 3 years now, and I honestly did not expect to stay or want to stay, but so far, my tenure has kept me engaged and allowed me to expand my skills in my own terms. The company walks the walk and talks the talk on diversity and gender equality, the company culture in that is admirable.

Cons

I experienced an unfortunate incident during a training that caused me to complain to upper management, but without success. As all large management consulting firms, there will be jerks and people who is the epitome of the "stab your back" consultant, I have met them and maneuvered myself out of projects that let me work with them. Sadly, I am not naive to think they will be "found out" or forced out as these kinds of people usually are ruthless enough to generate revenue for the company, and at the end of the day, the company values people who brings in revenue (what company doesn't?). It is 1 step better from some companies in that no racial/gender harassment is tolerated.

Advice to Management

Do not punish employees for low utilization if caused by contracts suddenly ending without prior notice.

Showing 253 of 21,704 reviews