Deloitte Reviews in Arlington, VA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work with smart, fun people on complex projects

Cons

Lack of clarity in the direction of projects can lead to confusion, delays, and frustration at times

Advice to Management

Spend more time on project management

"A company where you can map your own career"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hesitant to join Deloitte as an experienced hire, and as a single parent with children, having read reviews from where long hours, and travel were frequent. The opportunity to work in the federal work space and an interesting project convinced me to join, and of course, the Deloitte brand. Federal consulting does not require as much travel, and I am fortunate to be in projects that are local. You have the opportunity to work with amazing federal agencies and smart and wonderful colleagues in Deloitte. There are managers or colleagues that are sub-par, micro managers or terrible to work with, but that is par for the course in a large management consulting firm. But if you're in a good project, stick with it. What I enjoy most is the opportunity to do other things than your day-to-day project work - volunteer, train, mentor, make an impact which all contribute to one's career success at the firm. I have been here 3 years now, and I honestly did not expect to stay or want to stay, but so far, my tenure has kept me engaged and allowed me to expand my skills in my own terms. The company walks the walk and talks the talk on diversity and gender equality, the company culture in that is admirable.

Cons

I experienced an unfortunate incident during a training that caused me to complain to upper management, but without success. As all large management consulting firms, there will be jerks and people who is the epitome of the "stab your back" consultant, I have met them and maneuvered myself out of projects that let me work with them. Sadly, I am not naive to think they will be "found out" or forced out as these kinds of people usually are ruthless enough to generate revenue for the company, and at the end of the day, the company values people who brings in revenue (what company doesn't?). It is 1 step better from some companies in that no racial/gender harassment is tolerated.

Advice to Management

Do not punish employees for low utilization if caused by contracts suddenly ending without prior notice.

"A great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A place that fosters employees relationships and equips you with skills to succeed in the workplace, competitive salaries and benefits.

Cons

Performance is rarely rewarded, everyone is doing great so the overall rating averages are high, so only favored employees get to the next level of pay or promotions. Relationships matter more than performance.

Advice to Management

Overhaul the permanence rating process. It’s purely driven by team leads opinions, which is subjective and purely depends on the nature of the lead and if they’re rating employees honestly. Example: most employees do well, so they get a 5 star rating even when they don’t do a 5 star performance from their leads, with the exception of a few honest reviewers who might give a less that 5 star rating one time, resulting on a drop in employees overall rating so they stand out against all the others who are getting 5/5 every time, resulting in not being rewarded.

4. "Federal Consulting"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Federal in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Federal in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good work-life balance, consistent work. There used to be a big push to do a LOT of internal work, but that has scaled back over the years

Cons

Federal work is mostly long-term contracts, the ability to learn new skills is lower than the commercial side

"Large company, it is what you make it"

Former Employee - Federal Business Technology Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Federal Business Technology Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's true what they say, you can build your own career.

Cons

But if you don't take charge of your career and steer it in the direction you want, then you can get lost.

"Can't speak for everyone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great education program - Deloitte University is gorgeous and the on-the-job training is solid. Their staff is well educated, smart, and driven. Benefits package is good.

Cons

Culture can be intense and exhausting - burnout is a real issue. Quality of management varies widely - some are great, some are horrid. I had a manager take issue with me taking leave for a family funeral.

Advice to Management

Be more appreciative of your staff - often there's the expectation that staff work hard with little appreciation or feedback. Be more generous with feedback and coaching. Give staff a chance to learn to lead and mentor earlier so they can thrive in manager roles.

7. "Senior Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, opportunity to work on different projects, travel.

Cons

Depending on the contract, management can be good or bad. Hard to look for a project if you are a PDM resource.

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company. Flexible, lots of opportunities, tremendous learning experience. Culture and people are great. Will work a lot but lots of time off between holidays and PTO.

Cons

Finding/staying on projects is tough when you first start, which can be stressful. Lot of pressure to network, although networking does prove extremely useful.

9. "Good stepping stone"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great brand to have on your resume

Cons

Deloitte tends to underpay experienced hires

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities to move around

"True inside look"

Current Employee - Security Control Assessment (Consultant) Advisory in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of training, They will pay for school and cert and etc. Great pyramid setup and you can easily talk to different higher ups. There is a pension after 3 years but the average turn over is 1.5 years. Makes most revenue out of the big four. Looks to be the number one in Cyber in consulting. Can move and try new projects and roles all the time.

Cons

Benefits are really bad compare to other firms. 401K only gives you 25% of each percent you put up to 6%. So if you put 6, they give you 1.5%

Showing 246 of 20,554 reviews