Deloitte Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Associate

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great place to work, learn and grow"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of PTO and flexibility, great benefits, awesome people, really feel like people invest in my development

Cons

Busy season is obviously very busy, could do more to ensure even staffing

Advice to Management

figure out a better way to deal with staffing; there have been too many times a job was so understaffed that they were miserable for the entire audit; this just leads to more people quitting, less staffing and more suffering for those of us that want to stay

"Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons"

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

Advice to Management

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

3. "Auditor"

Former Employee - Assurance Senior Associate in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Assurance Senior Associate in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everything - technology, tools, people.

Cons

Long hours, commute, and lower pay.

Advice to Management

Increase salary and schedule clients based on employee’s address.

4. "Tax Senior"

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and great company that cares about its employees

Cons

work life balance is not ideal

"Political Rat Race"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits, decent pay, national staffing model so you have access to an office in most major US cities

Cons

review process is convoluted and promotions are highly political. Additionally, it doesnt make sense for a team not based in your home office and who you dont work with on a day to day basis decide your fate in terms of promotions, raise and bonuses

"Analytics Manager"

Current Employee - Business Analytics Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analytics Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent company with good execution

Cons

Very long hours with low pay

7. "Audit Assistant"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great reputation, awesome people, top of the line technology and resources, a lot of PTO.

Cons

Compensation is mediocre, long busy season hours, audit work isn't super rewarding/fulfilling for most.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep focusing on hiring the best people.

8. "Great place to start a career"

Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, ability to lead early in your career

Cons

Hours, job satisfaction, and hours

9. "Good place overall"

Current Employee - Valuation Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Valuation Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart people, great exposure to many industries

Cons

Hours can be brutal - even in the down season, many people leave after 2 years because they are underpaid for the hours they put in

"Associate/consultant"

Former Employee - Associate/Consultant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Associate/Consultant in Portland, OR

I worked at Deloitte (More than a year)

Pros

The artificial smiles, and insincere compliments.

Cons

A lot of gossip and backstabbing.
    Partners and directors care about you until the moment you leave the place.

Advice to Management

Paying people through experience and not with actual money is pretentious. I felt like property of the company working here. We were expected to work 80+hours per week and not complain. No overtime by the way. People here also love to micromanage. Leadership is non existent. No vision at all, nor an ability to motivate the workforce.

People are nice to your face but will throw you under the bus behind your back. You'll make very little money in your first few years here. As I said.... Very pretentious. You can make a lot more money elsewhere gaining more relevant skills. Benefits are decent, nothing to write home about.

One positive thing about Deloitte in Portland? Oh, I'm glad I don't work there anymore. It was a waste of time and an incredibly unprofessional experience. Avoid this place.