Deloitte Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Boston, MA

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons"

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

Advice to Management

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

"Great Firm, But..."

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sterling reputation in the marketplace, opportunity to work on some of the biggest clients and large projects, opportunity to work with very smart and talented individuals, and looks great on a resume if you decide to leave.

Cons

No work/life balance. You are expected to be "always on and available 24/7" by partners and senior managers, and your clients think nothing of calling you up with work at 3 PM on a Friday with a Monday deadline. "Work/life balance" has to be more than a corporate slogan; if partners and senior managers aren't setting the example, no one else can follow.

Tons of bureaucracy. There are no many layers of bureaucracy at Deloitte, so many administrative burdens and tasks to complete, you'd think you were working for the federal government.

Benefits are okay, but 401(k) matching is subpar and raises/bonuses appear subjective and not tied to any measurable metrics (but that doesn't stop the firm from demanding high compliance burdens from its people).

Advice to Management

Promoting work/life balance has to have some teeth. Don't just send emails telling me about your plans for a long holiday weekend; make sure it extends to the rest of the firm. Vacation without disconnecting from work means I'm just working at a slightly more exotic locale.

3. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere where everything is inviting

Cons

There really were not any

4. "Big 4"

Current Employee - Tax Consultant II in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tax Consultant II in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Challenging work, lots to learn, decent pay. Fast paced work and a steep learning curve. Lots of team building events depending on your group.

Cons

Younger seniors often don't know how to manage staff other than treating them as deployable resources, almost as if not rigidly enforcing hierarchy to the point of rudeness somehow threatens their position. I think it's partly maturity issues since they're young and often have never worked anywhere else, partly lack of training.

Higher ups are much better about this and for the most part treat people with respect regardless of level.

Performance feedback system could use improvement.

Advice to Management

Invest in teaching seniors how to lead people in addition to projects.

5. "Great place to work but know that this is really a FULL TIME JOB"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leaves, pay, good work, easy to move around

Cons

high expectations, project work is not enough, zero personal life on weeknights, travel increases as you grow

6. "Current Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, great opportunities to lead, engaging client work, incredibly large network to learn from.

Cons

Can be difficult to engage with senior management given the scale of the company.

Advice to Management

Break up reviews into smaller regions so people are able to stand out more.

7. "Tax"

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary, benefits and nice office

Cons

Terrible work/life balance
    Crazy hours during busy season

8. "Good place to start your career"

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

It's a challenging workplace with great development of business skills/knowledge. The company focuses on technical and leadership development.

Cons

The hours can be long and senior level and above work multiple busy seasons.

9. "Almost there"

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are lucky to get on a good team, its great. You really feel like small company operating independently with the support of a giant organization. Travelling together means you build really strong relationships very quickly and the 'colleagues for life' mantra is true. There are tons of opportunities to stretch your abilities and I never felt like I was stagnant in my career doing the same thing over again. Biggest pro, mountains of points and miles to travel anywhere you want!

Cons

If you are unlucky and end up on a bad team its tough and you can end up doing a lot extra to keep the client off your back. Also if you spend more than 6 months in a single industry its tough not to get labelled as that type of person. The travel can also be very taxing, and as much as they promote flexibility while travelling it really is up to each team and not all managers allow it.

Advice to Management

Have more of the good policies that we hear about at the senior management level trickle down to the managers who can actually implement them. Come up with a formal rotational program for new hires to spend a month in each vertical to deliver on your promise of consulting being a way to try out many industries. Get smarter about staffing so not so many west coast folks are taking sunday night red eyes to get to the east coast for monday morning.

10. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay and Benefits
    Responsible for your own path

Cons

Unreasonable workload expectations/deadlines
    New promotion/year end review process is very questionable
    Work/life balance does not exist, even though the firm is promotes it as such
    No break in travel