Deloitte Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Boston, MA Area

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life Balance goes for a toss (in 3637 reviews)

• no work life balance for the employees (in 754 reviews)

1. "Great expirience"

Current Intern - Pioneer in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Pioneer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte as an intern

Pros

- A lot of Networking

Cons

- Mostly job shadowing instead of actual client work

"Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons"

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

Advice to Management

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

3. "LHSC - SC"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoy working for the firm which has great foot print in the lHSC industry. The culture of innovation is breaded into every consultant. The firm values employees and invests heavily in skill development.

Cons

Travel, long hours and Less work - life balance and . Can’t think of anything else. Might add them later

Advice to Management

Great firm to work and keep with the good work

4. "Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity, experience and the ability to work in any area you desire

Cons

Workload expectations, hours, travel and their self-promotion approach to success instead of teamwork

Advice to Management

Needs more of a personal approach to growing and developing resources rather than the current mechanical approach (number driven)

5. "Proposal Manager"

Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great salary
    - work laptop and iphone

Cons

- stressful, overworked, endless hours

Advice to Management

- either take on less projects or hire more people

6. "Overall OK experience"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours; Work Life balance; different clients and different projects that provides different experiences; Able to work from home; colleagues are usually nice and intelligent people

Cons

LOTS OF TRAVELING; have little say for what kind of project that you get on; little career development support from the company

7. "Deloitte Advisory"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to move up is plentiful and well-defined

Cons

Travel, politics, project staffing is not always ideal for lower staff

Advice to Management

NA

8. "Deloitte IT"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work, always growing and fasted paced. The latest technology and great benefits.

Cons

Working for the company was an awesome experience but I would say management

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management

"Great Firm, But..."

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sterling reputation in the marketplace, opportunity to work on some of the biggest clients and large projects, opportunity to work with very smart and talented individuals, and looks great on a resume if you decide to leave.

Cons

No work/life balance. You are expected to be "always on and available 24/7" by partners and senior managers, and your clients think nothing of calling you up with work at 3 PM on a Friday with a Monday deadline. "Work/life balance" has to be more than a corporate slogan; if partners and senior managers aren't setting the example, no one else can follow.

Tons of bureaucracy. There are no many layers of bureaucracy at Deloitte, so many administrative burdens and tasks to complete, you'd think you were working for the federal government.

Benefits are okay, but 401(k) matching is subpar and raises/bonuses appear subjective and not tied to any measurable metrics (but that doesn't stop the firm from demanding high compliance burdens from its people).

Advice to Management

Promoting work/life balance has to have some teeth. Don't just send emails telling me about your plans for a long holiday weekend; make sure it extends to the rest of the firm. Vacation without disconnecting from work means I'm just working at a slightly more exotic locale.

10. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere where everything is inviting

Cons

There really were not any

Showing 191 of 21,729 reviews