Deloitte Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Communication"

Current Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Communication between employees are effective

Cons

Not very sure what I will be facing

"Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons"

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

Advice to Management

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

3. "Advisory Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting point, hours are manageable

Cons

work can be tedious at times, politics among senior management can be a hinderance

"Consultant experience"

Former Employee - Senior ETL Developer in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Senior ETL Developer in Newton, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary above average; You get to work on very complex interesting projects - that's why clients pay consultants, to take on the difficult projects they can't do themselves;

Cons

Expected to bill 45 hours plus travel every week - unfeasible with a family. Had to constantly find your own project within Deloitte. They would assign you to a project for which you were not qualified. It seemed to be run like a ponzy scheme - all the people at the bottom layer working 60+ hour weeks and travelling constantly to support multiple layers of management, many of whom seemed to have no function. Multiple well-dressed women stopped by my cube to find out "what I did" because I was always working on something and they did not seem to know what they were there for. As soon as I mentioned they take some computer science courses they disappeared (I am technical). I started to suspect these women were there as potential dates for all the guys who actually did do work. I got very weird vibes there - the strangest place I've ever worked and the most male-dominated.

Advice to Management

I guess whatever they do it's working to generate revenue. I really don't understand how they make money from what I saw there so I can't give any advice. It suits young single people without responsibilities. Maybe if I was younger without kids I would have fit in better.

5. "Audit Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility; once you are a manager you do have the ability to work the hours required of you from your preferred location

Cons

The overall client service hours commitment is very high

6. "Good"

Current Employee - Senior, Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior, Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Learning
    Takes care of employee
    Great networking opportunities

Cons

Salary is not up to the market standards

Advice to Management

Nothing

"Tax Senior"

Former Employee - Tax Senior in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Tax Senior in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

No direction, minimal collaboration, unorganized

8. "Good Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Have the ability to work from home/remote. Very generous paternity time off (4 months).

Cons

Long Hours during busy season

"Could be better"

Current Employee - EA Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - EA Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible, can set my hours

Cons

If you are not client facing your value to the firm is extremely low

Advice to Management

Remember someone needs to stay back and help run the business while you are flying around

10. "Great place to start your career!"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall, Deloitte was the most amazing place to start my career. If it wasn't for the travel required with my role, I would have considered staying longer. The benefits are wonderful, the people are amazing and the work is challenging. I spent 5 years at Deloitte out of undergrad and I learned so much in that time period, some of which I didn't even realize until well after I had left.

Cons

The 3-4-5 travel schedule became too much for me as I thought about having a family. The year I left, I traveled 41 weeks out of the year.

Showing 204 of 25,718 reviews