Deloitte Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Principal"

Former Employee - Principal in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Principal in Chicago, IL

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Leading edge projects, great clients, very smart people

Cons

No work life balance, lots of travel, lots of cliques

Advice to Management

Localize teams to reduce travel

2. "Senior Consultant"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Learning and Networking Opportunities

Cons

There's no diversity at least in Tech. (Too many Indians)

3. "Great place to start/continue a career"

Current Employee - Specialist Leader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Specialist Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work with some of the smartest people in the world

Cons

High importance placed on mundane administrative tasks

4. "flexible but long working hour"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Comparably easy to move up, flexibility to work from home

Cons

Typically long work hours, low work life balance

5. "Work within Consulting"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the top consulting firms for Supply Chain and Operations
    Great work if you get into the right team

Cons

The experience completely depends on the projects you get and on the counselor.
    Be ready for a great experience or for one of your worst ones!

Advice to Management

Weed out the bad Senior Managers and Managers sooner than later - else you will lose a lot of good practitioners!

6. "Audit Internship"

Former Intern - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Deloitte as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience
    Good clients
    Lots of exposure

Cons

Long hours
    No choice in teams

7. "Great on a Resume, Not a Long Term Home"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Deloitte you're surrounded by smart, driven people. The name recognition is invaluable and the experience you obtain (technical knowledge, soft skills, project management) is wonderful.

Cons

You work long hours and sometimes it doesn't seem like the work we are doing as auditors is really adding any value to our clients. We are bogged down by rigid processes and requirements, which can be frustrating. It's also pretty top heavy as an organization and they don't seem to pay as competitively as they should for how long we are expected to work.

8. "Tax Senior"

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learning opportunity, career path within the firm

Cons

Office politics and no work-life balance

Advice to Management

Really listen to employee's voice and assign reasonable workload

"Typical Consulting Industry Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Generally very smart, motivated, hard-working colleagues
    - Promotion path is very clear and based mostly on your own ability to succeed
    - Generous PTO/vacation, however can be challenging to use unless between projects or around a holiday
    - Great learning opportunities and investment in people
    - Many opportunities to do what you want to do - projects, industries, clients

Cons

- Lifestyle, travel, and work-life balance can be challenging
    - Can be a very political environment - layers of partner-level overhead, matrixed organization with confusing reporting relationships
    - Burn-out can often get to high performers at mid-career level
    - Too many extracuriculars in addition to client work, many with questionable value
    - Death by PowerPoint; Too often we build massive PPT decks when a simple conversation, email, or few pages is sufficient to deliver a message, we like to do work for the sake of doing work sometimes
    - Lack of identity; can't figure out if we want to be a strategy firm, a tech firm, executable strategy, iOT, etc. We want to make, sell, and monitize products but can't get out of our own way and still focus on rate per hour and utilization of people/resources. We can't figure out if we want to invest in product development or just continue to whore-out top-talent undergrad and MBAs.
    - PRD/pursuits/sales process is clumsy, shot-gun approach like, lacks focus, and creates a lot of unnecessary high-burn on people, just to check a box. Stop burning people out on pursuits that we have a <5% chance of winning.

Advice to Management

Overall, the firm is a good place to work. It is not for everyone though. The downsides to this place are really no different than any other consulting firm. The work-life balance, travel, and lifestyle in general burns many good people out.

For undergrads coming out of college, this is probably one of the best places to work. Analysts get compensated very well right out of school, they get good exposure to&nbsp;different projects and business problems, then get to travel to interesting places, and they get help getting into B-school.

It is a little different for others. Once people get to Senior Consultant and Manager you have to decide if this is what you truly want to do. Do they want to make a run at Partner/Director? The biggest problem I see is that in addition to the challenges of being out of town, working hard at the client, there is a lot of extra stuff thrown on people's plates that many times has little value and/or ends up just dying off before servings its purpose. Naturally they seek out top performers and throw more stuff their way just making the problem worse. It is difficult to say no.

In addition this is also the point when many people are settling down, getting married, and having kids. Add in all those pressures and it is no wonder we have the turnover that there is for those in the middle of their career. The firm gives a lot of lip-service to work-life balance, but they accept it for what it is. I guess it is okay, because there is always a crop of fresh, young stary-eyed MBAs that are eager to get into consulting and are needed to replace those who burn out. It can be frustrating to see the amount of effort spent to bring in people from campus, and the lavish starting salary & bonuses thrown at them versus those who have been around for a while.

The people are what make this firm great. I'd say 75% of people are great to work with. There is a small segment though make things truly miserable by micromanaging and lacking professional respect. They will do whatever they need to do to get ahead, but this is no different than anywhere else.

However, I will say that I often feel that many of the partners are out of touch with their needs of their staff. There are too many prima-donna partners around that just jut in and out for a client meeting or two without really understanding the needs of their staff and project teams. There is also a fairly large amount at the top that I have no idea what they truly do, get paid very well, and their titles seem to change every 6 months.

This is a good place to get good experience, work with good people, travel to some interesting and not-so interesting places, and to try to hang on for as long as you can. Some people make a career out of it and make it through the long path to partner. For the other vast majority of people, they will decide to go elsewhere and do something different down the road.

Also, realize that the consulting industry is changing and this pyramid scheme can't continue in its current shape or form forever. At least they've gotten more realistic that not everyone wants to be a PPMD, nor everyone wants to sell or go into business development but still we tend to revert to our old ways.

Its hard to broad-bush an opinion of the firm since so much is entirely dependent on our direct leaders and the PPMDs in the industry or service area you work in, and of course your clients.

10. "Inconsistent Manager Experience"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great peers make the job bearable, good benefits (well being subsidy is especially nice). Challenging projects are very intellectually stimulating.

Cons

Manager, senior managers, and partners have no incentives to creat a nice team environment. They are driven purely by clients which means many consultants are left hung out to dry or are chewed up and spit out.

Advice to Management

Force managers to do 360 reviews, analyze why so many people leave (likely driven out by terrible managers or senior managers), close the wage gap

Showing 510 of 22,844 reviews