Deloitte Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of exposure to different types of projects, so you can choose what you like/dont like.

Cons

Limited exposure to client, very hierarchical

Advice to Management

Ensure that staff gets exposure to many projects (limit long term staffing) and basic client exposure

2. "Love it!"

Current Employee - Tax Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- great team working environment
    - travel
    - work/life balance
    - the people!!! the upper management really supports you in what you would like to pursue
    - work is rewarding
    - lots of opportunities to own your work and take leadership
    - the culture that the company sets
    - the events Deloitte sets up to get people more involved

Cons

- busy season
    - travel

3. "Tax Consultant II"

Current Employee - Tax Consultant II in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Consultant II in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience, Expertise, Coaching, Benefits, Opportunity, Flexibility

Cons

Work Life Balance, Pay, Flexibility

Advice to Management

Pay more

4. "What you make of it"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Deloitte has endless opportunities to advance your career, learn new things, and get involved in mentorship/volunterism.

Cons

It's all about your network and who you know. If you are willing to work long-hours you can probably get paid/rewarded for it.

Advice to Management

The company is so large it's hard to make anyone feel like anything other than a number. Don't make senior staff counselors. They are too busy and basically worthless yet have such an impact in your career advancement.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Networking
    Great benefits for family leave

Cons

Performance feedback are not based on knowledge and expertise
    Ratings and promotion are based on internal networking, not based on performance

Advice to Management

Measure performance feedback based on individual contribution to project work

6. "A Great Start to Growing your Career"

Current Employee - Advisory Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Advisory Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Deloitte is a great company for growing your career. There are many trainings you can sign up for. You can learn technical skills as well as softer skills, i.e. leadership and facilitating consultative sessions. It's all about building relationships with your managers and clients. The path to promotion is always clear but not always straight-forward or easy to make happen (other factors come into play, besides your performance)

Cons

Health benefits are not great. Generally, people judge quickly and size you up. Work life balance is not existent.

7. "Expect to not work as much as a strategy consultant"

Current Employee - Human Capital Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Human Capital Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, awesome people, and competitive salary

Cons

Long working hours, lots of travel potentially, and politics

8. "Transfer Pricing Consultant at Deloitte"

Current Employee - Transfer Pricing Consultant
    Current Employee - Transfer Pricing Consultant

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

1. Large firm with a good reputation, well-known worldwide;
    2. Very good benefits: insurance, well-being subsidy, gym access, paid time off, maternity leave, tuition sponsorship, professional exam fee reimbursement, etc.;
    3. You do see female partners and managing directors' presence, at least here in my practice; comparatively speaking, the place is not super male-dominated;
    4. Diversity: I have co-workers of different skin colors and from different countries; co-workers all respect the fact that people are different. The firm also promotes diversity in terms of LGBTQ.
    5. I think it's a very decent place to start your career - maybe stay for 1 year or so. I definitely see lots of professional development and improvement in myself throughout my time here. I was very fortunate to have met a few great managers who deeply cared about my career and trained me profoundly. I do thank Deloitte for that.
    6. Fun activities and social events all year around.

Cons

1. Some partners and managing directors have an illusion that the practice is running very well. Unfortunately, that is not true. Some of them just do not see the many many problems deeply embedded here. They do little or none to try to change the situation.
    2. Very high employee turnover rate. Nearly half of the people in my practice left within the past few years. The practice lost almost all of its talented, nice, and compassionate managers. Why did they all leave? The practice emphasizes too much on chargeable hours, managers and seniors are all burnt out, PPMDs are not doing much to try to stop the talents from leaving, no one has the extra capacity/time/energy to care about others, the money is not good enough either.
    3. Learning curve gets flat pretty quickly.
    4. Ph.D. new hires are immediately given the seniors' title right after they join the practice, while they know nothing about transfer pricing and some tend to have very poor management skills. Junior people who work under those people tend to suffer.
    5. There is really not much creativity involved in this job. There are set ways to do things - anyone can be trained to do the job. I feel bad for people who have a J.D. / PhD. degree - it's really a waste of talent.
    6. The pay is not good. The raise is not good either. Not good.
    7. Some managers have poor management styles that make consultants suffer.

Advice to Management

Do something to keep your talents from leaving. Pay more money to those who deserve. Give your employees a break - stop the unbelievable emphasis on chargeable hour goals.

"Tech Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training, and opportunities to grow are in abundance. Pay is pretty good as well as recognition which results in additional monetary compensation.

Cons

Work life balance is difficult as you get older and more responsibility is added to your personal life such as growing your family or pursuing other opportunities to support your personal happiness. This company reviews performance by comparing you to your peers with no consideration to the fact that everyone has different circumstances. Builds a stressful environment with overly competitive peers, backstabbing and premature promotions for friends of leadership.

Advice to Management

Measure performance on a set criteria instead of comparing peers. The culture is dangerous and not sustainable for millennials. You will lose your talent faster than ever before if you don’t start thinking about building a more healthy culture fostered on collaboration instead of competition.

10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Tax Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte (More than 3 years)

Pros

Deloitte is a great company that fosters mentoring and employee development. They really care about their employees and offer great benefits.

Cons

Being a professional services firm, utilization makes for a tough work/life balance.