Deloitte Reviews in Costa Mesa, CA | Glassdoor

Updated June 24, 2017

Costa Mesa, CA

4.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance across the board (in 1182 reviews)

• fantastic place to start / grow your career (in 415 reviews)

1. "Senior"

Current Employee - Senior in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Senior in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun culture, good amount of responsibility, fast paced learning, good exit opportunities

Cons

Work life balance is just okay, the pay is better than average but not enough, moving towards outsourcing

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1. Good CEO
    2. Good consulting projects

Cons

1. Bad work life balance
    2. Growth plateau after few years

"Great company, wasn't the right position/fit"

Former Employee - Experienced Audit Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Experienced Audit Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Deloitte is a great company. They truly try to do everything to help their people, even their alumni. I can't think of a better firm to have started my career with.
    -Great benefits.
    -Overall very nice people.
    -Lots of PTO even at the lowest levels (and it is encouraged unlike at many firms)
    -Good reimbursement policies and very fast turnaround
    -Great client exposure
    -Even after you leave they will set you up with life coaches and give you access to alumni portals for discounts at many different vendors, which demonstrates their appreciation for their people
    -Great culture
    -Lots of community outreach and volunteer opportunities

Cons

-Pay is pretty low for your first like 5-8 years until you get to Senior Manager
    -I did not feel a connection with many of the people in my particular office but always enjoyed meeting other "green dots" from other offices through networking events and such.
    -Transferring offices was not as easy as they made it out to be in my interview process, especially when I had informed them that I would likely want to transfer to the Bay Area to be nearer my family. If you are seen as an asset to the group, they will not let you transfer no matter what, as each office has different partners who only care about their bottom line and not the overall well-being of the firm, which seems selfish.
    -Again, if you are seen as an asset to a particular group they will not let you transfer groups either (I wanted to be in technology and not in Financial Services but because I had a background in both and they were low on FS people, I was not allowed to change groups, despite the head Admins telling you that you can change groups whenever you like if you don't like a particular industry)
    -As it is an accounting job, a lot of people are afraid to give direct feedback so often you find out things on your eval when nothing was mentioned prior and you kept being told "this looks really good" and so on.
    -sometimes going against the grain and not doing things a certain way because "its always been done this way" is viewed badly by seniors, when a new way that may take more time investment at first may be more beneficial later

Advice to Management

Encourage seniors/managers to give direct, honest feedback instead of hiding behind a monitor/eval later. So my only gripe is just be direct and honest with people so they have a clear understanding of expectations. It may help to have more frequent check-ins with seniors/managers so expectations are more well-known

"Senior Programmer Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Very good culture and flexible times

Cons

work involves travel and good for bachelors

"Great place to launch your career and learn the grind."

Current Employee - Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Interesting projects at times.
    -Travel benefits
    -Firm is very focused on personal growth. Very transparent promotion process.
    -Great pay.
    -Great place to start a career. You will work for many clients and quickly develop expertise in your field. Definitely suggest consulting for anyone coming out of college.

Cons

-Work life balance sucks.
    -Heavy on travel, would not advise this job if you have personal commitments at home.
    -Your personal growth at Deloitte heavily depends on networking. This is hard for the introverted types like myself.

6. "Great do far!"

Current Employee - Tax Consultant I in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Consultant I in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Great culture and many opportunities. Deloitte University is a great learning environment and no other firm has something like it. They really care about their people!

Cons

When busy season hits there are very long hours and deadlines to be made. Even when you leave the office work needs to be done at home and that means working late into the night

Advice to Management

Great job!

7. "Career success depends on the team you're placed on"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Great first career, even if you don't do well within Deloitte, it's a strong resume builder
    2. Senior team leaders will drive you hard and will get you polished really quickly
    3. Meet smart fellow new graduates
    4. Each partner / senior manager runs a mini kingdom, so even though you're employed by a large multi-national consulting firm, you have the chance to work with a tight knit group of people over and over again.

Cons

1. If you're placed on the wrong project(s) your first few months, it can make or break your career and the type of growth opportunities you've been afforded
    2. Each partner / senior manager runs a mini kingdom, so even though you're employed by a large multi-national consulting firm, you have the chance to work with a tight knit group of people over and over again.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to make Deloitte more cohesive between the different partner / principal teams.

8. "First Step"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people who share the same ideas.
    Fast-pace learning experience
    Good first job out of college that prepares you for the next step

Cons

Job/project always comes first
    Not all jobs are created equal, so some jobs are very poorly managed

"Bring your A game"

Current Employee - Leader In Talent Channel in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Leader In Talent Channel in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At Deloitte you are surrounded by some of the smartest, driven professionals in business.

Cons

For some, the high performance expectations are too much. I personally enjoy the constant challenge to grow with stretch opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for more flexibility in the workplace.

10. "Overworked underpaid"

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

sometimes can work from home, flexible times to come and go as long as you put in your 18 hours a day

Cons

If you do the math you basically make minimum wage for the amount of hours you put in. Working in tax pigeon holes you for your next job. Management plays favorites so some people get to only work 40-50 hours a week while some people work 80 to 100 hours. Have to report to multiple bosses who all have unreasonable expectations. If you work here you're better off leaving for a smaller firm that pays overtime, that will give you a higher compensation base for when you look for your next job.

Advice to Management

Pay overtime

Showing 53 of 18,670 reviews