Deloitte Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Updated April 25, 2017

Houston, TX Area

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Awesome Firm to work for with good work/life balance (in 1104 reviews)

• fantastic place to start / grow your career (in 397 reviews)

Cons

1. "Based on My Experience- I Would Not Recommend"

Current Employee - Tax in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All of the perks you can get at any of the other Big Four...just saying. I think Deloitte's technology is better though. My opinion is shaped from my personal experience. I have met some of the leadership and I truly think they care about people and support the vision of the firm.

Cons

The Houston tax office is huge and not very diverse. You get further ahead based on who you know rather than what you know. If you are in the Houston tax practice and did not go to UT or A&M or maybe Southern Miss just quit already- you won't get very far unless you know someone some other way. If you are an experienced hire you might be better off at KPMG, EY, or PWC first. I have never encountered such mean people in my life with poor people management skills. They will work you for long hours and not compensate you fairly. If you need help you will not get it no matter how much you cry out for it...they hire some people to literally be work horses-nothing more. I was not allowed to go to trainings etc because I had to work on demanding clients. I hardly went to Deloitte University and honestly felt that I was not learning much for a many hours as I was working...I personally feel as if you are a minority (race wise, university wise, experienced hire, religion etc.) nobody will take a real interest in you. You will be just another body to do the crap work that the other "preferred" hires don't want to do. In general the Houston tax office is very cutthroat and people compete against each other rather than team together. There are opportunities for advancement but only for certain groups of people no matter how good you are, how much of an interest you express, or how hard you work.

Advice to Management

If you claim to support diversity and inclusion then try to be more diverse in your hiring practice. if the majority of the people that you hire all come from the same background, went to the same schools, and are pretty much predominantly white from privileged backgrounds then you will never grow as a firm and you cannot consider yourself a truly global practice. Naturally anyone who does not fit this mold will not make it unintentionally or not. Don't turn a blind eye to what is going on in your practice. Everybody knows but sweeps it under the rug. I have been traumatized by my experience at Deloitte to the point that I would never consider working there again or recommend, be supportive of Deloitte as firm for anything.

2. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefits, compensation. opportunities to grow

Cons

work life balance & travels

Advice to Management

Take steps to promote work life balance & reduce travels

3. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

overall benefits are great. The vacation time is one of the best amongst all firms.

Cons

The pay could be more competitive with the market

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

work life balance, great culture

Cons

long hours, even though I have worked there for 15 years I don't feel like I have job security due to economics of the firm

6. "Good Company to work with"

Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good People, Good Projects, Lot of Learning Opportunities

Cons

the Round Robin for promotion gets very frustrating sometimes because you can't make everyone happy every time.

7. "Consultant for 2 years"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel perks, you learn a lot

Cons

Travel all the time, hours worked

8. "New to Deloitte"

Current Employee - Staff Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a campus new hire my time at Deloitte has be exceptional! It's a fast paced work environment. Lots of opportunity. Lots of on the job learning. Excited for the training being offered once "busy season" is over. The people are great to work with. Very team oriented. I appreciate everyone's push to achieve a healthy work life balance, despite some long hours during busy season.

There's opportunity for advancement. Pay is competitive to other Big 4 campus new hire positions. Generous benefit packages! You'd be hard pressed to find better else where.

Cons

As a new hire, the amount of "tools" and "resources" Deloitte offers, is overwhelming. Understanding it's a very large firm that supports thousands of employees, but as a new hires it's information overload. It's hard to determine what is required and what is not. What you should be keeping up with on a high frequency, and what can wait until you have some free time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! My only suggestion thus far is from a management prospective; check on new hires more often to obtain their feedback. I think there could be some easy solutions to what I'm sure other campus new hires are feeling as well.

9. "Great organization to work for"

Current Employee - Senior SAP Functional Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior SAP Functional Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wide exposure
    No 2 days are same, new challenge each day
    Tonnes of learning opportunity

Cons

Average Work life balance for all

10. "Audit Manager"

Former Employee - Audit Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Audit Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Deloitte (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent salary (if ignore the amount of hours), good benefits, lots of opportunities for special projects or international projects, great resume builder, flexible when it comes to personal appointments, lots of PTO (but can only take it at certain times). The learning curve is very steep, the professional experience gained is invaluable. I was fortunate to get to work on some awesome clients.

Cons

Busy season comes with extremely long hours, sometimes even long hours outside of busy season if special projects come up. Your success and happiness is largely dependent on who you work for and the team you work on, so this can be a good or bad thing. When working for multiple partners simultaneously, most of them do not care how much is on your plate, they want you to make them and their clients your first priority. Politics and power egos can be huge - kind of have to play the game. The higher rated you are the more worked you are but at times you do get rewarded for this, again all depends on who you are working for.

Advice to Management

It seems like the staff/managers who work on large public clients (and usually just one) get more recognition while staff/managers who work on multiple smaller private companies are assumed to have easier jobs and therefore less recognized. I have been on both sides of this fence and for me personally, it was harder juggling a ton of smaller clients and working for multiple partners versus just working on one large complex client with one partner who regularly recognized his team. Especially when my efforts seemed undervalued since it was just for smaller clients. For the partners who are involved with their teams and speak up for their people, keep up the good work.

"Great company to work for, great salary and benefits!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

- Above par salary and benefits.
    - Eligible for pension after 2 years of working
    - Excellent learning and self-development opportunities (google Deloitte University)
    - Good projects

Cons

- Work-life balance (expect long hours, weekends and holidays)

Showing 154 of 17,446 reviews