Deloitte Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

Los Angeles, CA Area

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance needs a check" (in 4195 reviews)

• "No work life balance except working from home which in turn backfired" (in 874 reviews)

"Great place to launch a career"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people; great opportunities; great training; perfect place to start a career; huge alumni network

Cons

Fundamentally, Deloitte faces the same challenge as all Big4 or major consultancies: to succeed in the long term, your career must become your life.

"They work you like crazy, but it's resume gold"

Former Employee - Specialist Master in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Specialist Master in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of your co-workers are very smart and very motivated
    Interesting and challenging projects, at least for more senior staff
    They pay well
    They have robust internal processes (this is also on the cons list)
    Big project teams, with someone to do everything (another thing that could be on the cons list)
    With Deloitte on your resume. you will get a lot more attention when you apply to future jobs, not unlike having graduated from an Ivy League school.

Cons

Unreasonable expectations about how hard people should work. To be 100% utilized, you have to bill 45 hours a week. This is on top of many hours of unbillable time that you have to spend on internal Deloitte process stuff and travel. They justify the 45 billable hours thing by giving managers 6 weeks of vacation a year, and that is good for the U.S., but only standard in a lot of countries. They pay lip service to work/life balance, but you don't see much evidence that it's sincere. In fact, I think the culture takes pride in it, "we work harder than everybody else." If it burns you out, you weren't really up to standard.
    Their branding is uninspired at best. I think they figure they can get by on their reputation, and they're probably right, but... "a green dot"? That's not a resonant symbol or a good logo.

Advice to Management

Well, if they cared about me wanting to work there, they should change their whole business model, try to staff people locally more often, or at least not send people from the west coast to east coast projects, so they have to fly on Sunday. They would ease up on the up-or-out thing for partner-track employees (that wasn't me, but still seems harsh) and they would design their CBT training modules and other constant internal-process-related busywork to be less insultingly simplistic and time-wasting, given how much time they already demand of their employees. But I suspect management is just fine with how things are now.

"Slave Ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Deloitte (More than a year)

Pros

Great lifestyle, free food, and networking

Cons

Long hours, meaningless work, politics

Advice to Management

Treat staff like humans

4. "S&O summer scholar"

Current Intern - S&O Summer Scholar in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Intern - S&O Summer Scholar in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Deloitte as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Intelligent, open, and fun coworkers at all levels. Great community of young people in the LA office.

Cons

Long hours, but this was actually more manageable than expected
    Being away from home mon-thurs

5. "Great company overall"

Current Employee - Senior Advisory Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Advisory Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great on your resume, lots of training, benefits, and flexible working time.

Cons

Low pay, little time for team bonding.

6. "Great"

Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Deloitte (Less than a year)

Pros

great strong smart cool awesome

Cons

not bad, not horrible, not deplorable

Advice to Management

great

"Hierarchical, Top-Down, Weakness-Based, Exclusive and Intolerant Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant - Human Capital in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant - Human Capital in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Prestige of working for a Big Four consulting firm
    -I feel like I am paid fairly , but it's actually quite low compared to what I made before when you consider how many hours I work.
    --> 165k a year, working 4,000 hours of year, comes out to about $41 an hour. Compared to 2,500 hours per year for 140k (the comp for my previous role), which works out to $56 an hour (not to mention the opportunity to have a life outside of work.)

Cons

-Nobody seems to enjoy their work. I once asked a senior manager, "off all the things you've done for Deloitte, what have you enjoyed the most?" Her response was: "I don't even think that way. I just work here for the money." She happened to be talking with me at 10:00 o'clock at night--in between client meetings. Why work so many hours at something you do not enjoy?

-The people in Human Capital do not seem to be excited about their field. Most of them would have preferred to work in another area, but were not skilled enough to get into Strategy or Tech. I joined Human Capital to improve people's lives at work, but the people here are unhappy.

-I had a Principal ridicule me for asking for a reasonable accommodation for a disability.

-I have had several managers ask me to falsify my hours. This makes it hard to reach utilization. On the other hand, if you refuse to lie, it affects your performance rating.

-I have to pay $20-$50 per day, out of pocket, without reimbursement, for the privilege of working from one of Deloitte's offices.

-Experienced hires are not given access to the best projects because staffing is based more on personal networks than skills, qualifications, or interests.

-Despite their branding (which frames the company as strengths-based and inclusive), I have had a senior Principal tell me "we are not a strengths-based culture, we are a hierarchical culture and you will do what you are told."

Advice to Management

Hire another consulting company to fix your culture. Stop falsifying your hours. Measure engagement in a way that holds project leaders and coaches accountable for employee engagement, well-being, and turnover. Think about things other than availability when it comes to staffing projects. Live in accordance with your stated values.

"Overworked, underpaid, lots of politics"

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unless you're absolutely incompetent, you'll always have a job.

Cons

Very unequal work combined with overly equal pay. The most competent employees get the most work but not necessarily any pay to reflect how much harder they work. This is because, all the managers will fight for that employee to be on their project. Meanwhile, you also have people that are better at gaming the system in which case they do less but don't get in trouble.

Generally management consists of lots of mediocre people because the absolute best people go find higher paying jobs while the absolute worst people get fired. To be fair there are a few highly competent, good managers; however, many of them are looking for their exit (most people only stay to make manager before leaving because the job opportunities once you attain the manager title are considerably more lucrative).

Advice to Management

Pay your superstars more

9. "2.5 Years at Deloitte"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the brightest minds and hard workers in the industry. Fun place to start with a lot of colleagues being the same age as you.

Cons

If you don't like the profession you are going to be burned out quickly. The only thing that keeps you there is the solid PTO program and the people. Once they start leaving you want to leave too.

Advice to Management

Try to make Deloitte feel a little smaller.

10. "Solution Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Work Life balance in Company

Cons

Nothing as such to be mentioned

Showing 334 of 26,525 reviews