Deloitte Reviews | Glassdoor

1,447 reviews

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

1,447 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Awesome Firm to work for with good work/life balance (in 1121 reviews)

• fantastic place to start / grow your career (in 399 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance required to be managed (in 3063 reviews)

• Lot of politics no work life balance (in 618 reviews)

1. "Looking for an eDisco job in Nashville? Run far away."

Former Employee - Project Management Coordinator in Hermitage, TN
    Former Employee - Project Management Coordinator in Hermitage, TN

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good benefits. That's it.

Cons

- It is up to you to set your work life balance. If you let them, they will work you 80 hours a week and pay you for 40. You will be intimidated and shamed for working less than 50 hours a week.

- The "field PMs," or the senior PM's bosses, are Deloitte employees from other sectors whose utilization rates fell too low, so they moved them to the "new eDiscovery business." Although all of them have management experience, 0 of them have ever worked a day of eDiscovery in their life.

2. "If you're looking to get hired by working as a temp, forget it."

Former Employee - Temp - Senior Resource Management Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Company, Employee Perks are good, work life balance, Some managers are pretty decent and make an effort to help you.

Cons

Being a temp employee sucks, they say they will hire you but they don't. Once you're assignment ends (3-5 mons) with a particular team, they try to pass you around to a new team and you have to learn their modes operandi for another 3 months and then pass you around again. Felt like I was a substitute teacher coming into a class and then leaving. No benefits (medical/dental/vision) as a temp employee, but if you don't need them then you'll be fine (I have insurance through my hubby). Earned sick time but that's the only thing you earn as a temp employee, no VAC. Also, the folks who handle them temp employees are not helpful at all. You're basically a 2nd class citizen.

Advice to Management

Treat your temp employees better, don't get their hopes up by telling them that you're going to help them get hired and then turn around and just tell them they have to look for another job.

"A place for the competitive"

Former Employee - Human Capital Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Human Capital Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you thrive on internal competition, this is the place for you. It is a good stepping stone to a better career.

Cons

There is a "sorority / fraternity culture" where the managers and above tend to be clicky and self-serving (this most likely due to the competitive culture that deloitte fuels). A collaborative team usually produces a better deliverable than one that has internal competition. They spend a lot of time "thinking" (thought leadership, white papers etc) and less time executing. Finally, they have not come up with the tools as other big 5 consulting firms have to quantify change and back their strategy with data.

Advice to Management

Try to move away from the "sorority" culture and reliance on internal competition. It is also very detrimental to inclusive diversity where some may be at a natural disadvantage.

5. "Great exposure"

Current Employee - Experienced Accountant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Experienced Accountant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Deloitte (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great exposure to a number of different industries if your not in a big city.
    Exposure will definitely be viewed positively by future employers. If you can handle three years and some how manage not to get addicted to the kool-aid your opportunities in industry are endless

Cons

Most managers are not ready to manage people. Toxic work environment

Advice to Management

Need to rethink the culture your managers are creating. No company is to big to fall!

"Deloitte not a model for diversity nor inclusion"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great brand name for your resume. Access to good, high level thought work. Good benefits.

Cons

Work life balance nonexistent. Performance ratings biased if you aren't on deck or up for promotion.

Advice to Management

You have a significant problem living up to your talk regarding diversity and inclusion for underrepresented minorities, in particular. Particularly at the partner level. You are a data driven company. Run the numbers on how the Deloitte culture of cliques and your new performance management system affects retention and fair treatment of Underrepresented minorities. Open your eyes and address this - but, please do it better than you are "addressing" the longstanding low ratings re: work life balance. It is your culture. Run culturepath on yourself or do an innovation lab or something.

7. "Solution Engineer"

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start a career

Cons

Outsourcing jobs to India to stay competitive

Advice to Management

If you have a bad team lead you better find another job.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Deloitte is a large global organization with excellent advanced training offered electronically or at the world-class Deloitte University. Deloitte also offers most employees the opportunity to perform some work remote.

Cons

Lack of alignment across many teams (the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing). Deloitte only gives "lip-service" to inclusion and diversity. #1 input in Year End performance rankings are based on utilization - however, in reality, the utilization is driven by Partners sales ability (not the employees). Much lower compensation than Bain, BCG & McKinsey. Better compensation than Accenture, IBM, etc.

Advice to Management

Spin-off Deloitte Consulting and re-vamp the ratings model. Ratings rarely align with on-the-ground employee performance.

"Only good for your resume"

Current Employee - Human Capital Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Capital Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Will open new opportunities outside

Cons

- under pays and pay unfairly
    - new performance management is incredibly biased and does not reflect quality of your work, achievement of goals, demonstrated competencies, commitment and growth
    - managing perceptions are covering your a** is what most people focus on. Therefore, just a very few people are actually competent
    - get used to being backstabbed
    - no space for authenticity
    - pretty much everything they claim in their culture/employer branding initiative does not correspond to reality at all

Advice to Management

Although they say they do, leaders do not care about improving their culture.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Expense everything, earn miles, lots of coworkers to meet.

Cons

Long hours for no reason, low pay relative to similar positions, extremely low learning potential at work.

"Based on My Experience- I Would Not Recommend"

Current Employee - Tax in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All of the perks you can get at any of the other Big Four...just saying. I think Deloitte's technology is better though. My opinion is shaped from my personal experience. I have met some of the leadership and I truly think they care about people and support the vision of the firm.

Cons

The Houston tax office is huge and not very diverse. You get further ahead based on who you know rather than what you know. If you are in the Houston tax practice and did not go to UT or A&M or maybe Southern Miss just quit already- you won't get very far unless you know someone some other way. If you are an experienced hire you might be better off at KPMG, EY, or PWC first. I have never encountered such mean people in my life with poor people management skills. They will work you for long hours and not compensate you fairly. If you need help you will not get it no matter how much you cry out for it...they hire some people to literally be work horses-nothing more. I was not allowed to go to trainings etc because I had to work on demanding clients. I hardly went to Deloitte University and honestly felt that I was not learning much for a many hours as I was working...I personally feel as if you are a minority (race wise, university wise, experienced hire, religion etc.) nobody will take a real interest in you. You will be just another body to do the crap work that the other "preferred" hires don't want to do. In general the Houston tax office is very cutthroat and people compete against each other rather than team together. There are opportunities for advancement but only for certain groups of people no matter how good you are, how much of an interest you express, or how hard you work.

Advice to Management

If you claim to support diversity and inclusion then try to be more diverse in your hiring practice. if the majority of the people that you hire all come from the same background, went to the same schools, and are pretty much predominantly white from privileged backgrounds then you will never grow as a firm and you cannot consider yourself a truly global practice. Naturally anyone who does not fit this mold will not make it unintentionally or not. Don't turn a blind eye to what is going on in your practice. Everybody knows but sweeps it under the rug. I have been traumatized by my experience at Deloitte to the point that I would never consider working there again or recommend, be supportive of Deloitte as firm for anything.

Showing 1,447 of 17,807 reviews