Deloitte Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends

17,133 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is challenging like most consulting companies (in 3135 reviews)

• No work-life balance during busy season (in 628 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Solution Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Solution Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for! The sky is the limit in terms of career growth potential . You are in charge of your career. Free coffee as well.

Cons

None so far other than 401k can be a lot better.

"I would not recommend this firm to anyone looking for an enriching and fair experience."

Former Employee - Consulting Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consulting Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good professionals, good training and wide range of process projects

Cons

people poorly treated, no work-life balance, low compensation, no exposure to cutting edge strategy work, low intellectual capital

Advice to Management

Need to treat the people that actually deliver work with more respect and fairness

"Deloitte Sucks"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in East Orange, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in East Orange, NJ

Pros

Brand name. Other than that nothing else. They offer sub-standard consulting solutions using unqualified and often junior resources billing at an insane rate offerring the client very less value addition.

Cons

1. Very cutthroat
    2. No support structure
    3. Bad staffing model
    4. Poor compensation
    5. Low work-life balance

Advice to Management

Address the above so that you can stay in the game.

"Typical public accounting firm"

Former Employee - Audit Staff in West McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Audit Staff in West McLean, VA

Pros

Decent Pay but you work for it.

Cons

Long hours and you don't get to use all your time off.

Advice to Management

Less politics

"Cut-throat organization, don't turn your back for a second or you might have a bulls-eye on your back!"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

Pros

Only good thing about Deloitte is the brand name.

Cons

Very cut-throat organization, placed on consulting projects not w/in interests

Advice to Management

none

"Fair Pay, Boring Projects, Disrespectful Superiors"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

Name Recognition - Deloitte Consulting is genuinely a recognizable name among business school and other employers. Relative to working with a small company, I think that bigger companies offer employees more choice as to where they will go after they leave.

Cons

Culture is very draconian and hierarchical. There were many times when rank was invoked out of nowhere to prove a point, rather that using data to prove a point.

Most projects have literally nothing to do with what most would consider management consulting. It is high-price temping at best.

There is no support for new people. Do not count on superiors to lead you through. Very sink-or-swim environment. My best advice is to keep your head down, don't drink too much at their constant, and constantly awkward, office parties, and grit your teeth for two years.

Advice to Management

Focus on actually training and retaining people. Webinars and hour-long "public speaking" courses do not count.

Incorporate upward feedback into your thoughts about good management practice

"Deloitte- The black hole"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

It's a Big 4, looks great on a resume- that's about it!

Cons

The company is way too beaurocratic. New hires beware, the people here will stab you in the back any chance
    they get. Low on the ethics scale. The management at Deloitte lacks intelligence. Absolutely the worst experience of my career.
    I would not recommend this company to anyone, the people here are miserable and they will make your life miserable!

Advice to Management

Ethics?? Practice what you preach!! Start hiring professionals with integrity.

"Make sure Your Mentor Is Invested in Your Success"

Former Employee - Senior Consulting Corporate & Competitive Strategy in McLean, VA

Pros

Deloitte is a place you go if you think you're on a partner track. The second you realize that it's not a possibliity it's time to go.

Cons

Due to the fact they know it's a stepping stone for people for bigger and better things they pay slightly below market (although they'd say otherwise). Undestanding it's a place to enrich partners stop wasting so much money on conferences and pay people what they're worth.

Advice to Management

Focus on getting people staffed. Whether people are at Deloitte for a long or short time they all want to work very hard the majority of the time. Providing a multi step sales process (e.g. interview - sell oneself to Deloitte, get hired - continue selling ones self to get staffed) is an absolute joke. Once someone's on the payroll we should all be on the same team (e.g. maximize utiltization). That was not my experience at all.

"Management does not pay attention to the smaller picture."

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX

Pros

Benefits and learning opportunities are the only good reasons to work for Deloitte. The benefits are comparable to those offered by the other Big 4 Firms though, and so are the learning opportunities. So if management is an improvement at the other Firms, then these two reasons really would not be positives to working at Deloitte. Deloitte continually screams about its ethics and integrity, but in my opinion, if you have to shout it that loud from the rooftops, then who are you trying to convince? Seems to me that a company's ethics and integrity should be visible through its actions and not have to be screamed out to the world. Deloitte falls short on integrity and ethics.

Cons

Management turned a deaf ear to conflicts that I experienced with a co-worker, so much so that I eventually had to quit. The co-worker had some sort of vendetta against me from the beginning, and I asked for a transfer to another department many times, which would have solved everything in my opinion. Instead, we were told to IM each other if we couldn't communicate directly, which was absolutely ridiculous. This co-worker refused to communicate by IM even. She refused to share the workload with me, and complained to my partners that I was away from my desk too many times throughout the day, when I was only away from my desk to go to lunch and to the bathroom. Management was the biggest issue with working with Deloitte. I suppose if Senior Management had trained mid-management effectively then perhaps these issues may not have existed. As it was, Senior Management turned a blind eye and a deaf ear when I took my complaints to them as well.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to coach mid-management better on how to deal with workplace conflicts.

"The job experience is not worth having the Deloitte name on your resume!"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

Pros

Name recognition; could open doors if you didn't have a strong business background before you started

Cons

Long hours; pay is not comparable to market; non-existent strategy work; even in the strategy & operations most of the projects are supporting or preparing for large technology implementations; long-term projects (2 years on the same project is not uncommon); more like outsourced employees than consultants

Advice to Management

Treat staff as more than just a meal ticket!

Showing 17,133 of 18,292 reviews